OT - There is one good thing about cold weather

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT - There is one good thing about cold weather

Post by Doc Hudson »

And that is soup.

A week or so ago, during a particularly cold snap, I made a pot of Creamy Leek Potato Soup. let me tell you folks, it was some of the best soup I've ever tasted, much less made. The recipe claims to produce '4 to 6 servings" but they must be figuring on itty-bitty bowls. It produce three hearty bowls in our house.

The recipe is a bit labor intensive, but I assure you it is more than worth the effort. Y'all give it a try and let me know what y'all think of it.

Doc

Creamy Leek Potato Soup

Ingredients:
4 medium Leeks, white and green part, halved
lengthwise, washed and sliced thin (about 4 Cups).
Dark green part halved, washed and cut into two
inch pieces.
2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 Cups Water
4 TBS ( ½ stick) Unsalted Butter
1 Medium Onion, chopped, about 1 Cup
Table Salt, to taste
1 Small Russet Potato, about 6 –ounces, peeled,
quartered and cut into ¼” slices
1 Bay Leaf
1 sprig fresh Thyme or Tarragon
1 large slice high quality Sandwich Bread, slightly
toasted and torn into 1/2 “ pieces
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Method:

1 – Bring dark green leek pieces, broth and water to a boil in a large sauce pan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Drain broth through fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Set aside, discard solids and rinse sauce pan.

2 -- Melt butter in now empty sauce pan, over medium heat. When the butter foams, stir in sliced leek, onions, and one teaspoon Salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.

3 - Increase heat to high, stir in reserved broth, potato, bay leaf and herb sprig and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add toasted bread and simmer until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down, about 5 minutes.

4 -- Remove from heat and discard Bay leaf and Herb sprig. Transfer half of soup to blender and process until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with the remaining soup. Return soup to sauce pan and bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with garnish of Fried Leeks.

Fried Leeks

Ingredients:
1 medium leek, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise, washed, dried and sliced into very thin 2” strips.
2 TBS unbleached All-purpose Flour
Table Salt
Fresh ground Black Pepper
½ Cup Olive Oil

Method:

Toss Leek, Flour, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a 12” skillet until shimmering. Add half of Leeks and fry stirring often, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer Leeks to paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Repeat with remaining Leek.

Use as garnish for Creamy Leek Potato Soup
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - There is one good thing about cold weather

Post by pokey »

sounds good,

any left? :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Looks like a good recipe, but I think it is missing one good item that stands out in potato soup. I like to cook bacon til it is crisp then crumple it up into bacon bits, and add that to potato soup. That really "soups" it up. Tom.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

HEAD0001 wrote:Looks like a good recipe, but I think it is missing one good item that stands out in potato soup. I like to cook bacon til it is crisp then crumple it up into bacon bits, and add that to potato soup. That really "soups" it up. Tom.
That sounds good, but this isn't potato soup. It is lots of Leek and just enough potato to give it a creamy texture after it goes through the blender. But feel free to garnish with crumbled bacon. It can't hurt.

I love bacon myself!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

I'm hoping it kills off the bark beetles.

The cold that is, not your soup.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Thanks for the recipe! I'm big on making soup and one pot dishes for dinner during cold weather
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

wavetrain75 wrote:I'm hoping it kills off the bark beetles.

The cold that is, not your soup.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: