Big Bores at the Range today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Big Bores at the Range today.

Post by TedH »

It was a bit dreary and soggy out this morning but I didn't let that hamper my morning at the range. Took a line up of some big bores today.

Top to bottom, Marlin 375, Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun, Krieghoff 470 Nitro

Express
100_1997.JPG
375 Win, 45-70, 470NE
100_2002.JPG
I was shooting some reduced loads in the 470. I have a very accurate full power load with my cast bullets that regulates perfectly, but wanted something a little more, shall we say, comfortable. I think I found a good compromise between shootability and regulation. These 500gr. bullets are straight air cooled wheel weights, velocity is just over 1600 fps. The barrels are still crossing at that low speed, but I adjusted the sight so the right barrel is shooting to point of aim, and the left barrel is just about three inches to the right.
100_2013.JPG
100_2012.JPG
In the 45-70 I was shooting some Lyman 457122 Hollow Points with AA5744. Anywhere from 34-37 grains shot very well. At least as well as I can shoot peeps anymore.
100_2008.JPG

I've settled on a load for the Marlin 375 now as well. 38.0 gr. of RL7 with the Hornady 220. Nothing to brag about, but good enough. Seems all the loads I tried with RL7 shot about the same, so I might as well go for the highest velocity.
100_2007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big Bores at the Range today.

Post by Nath »

Good shooting Ted. The big double has plenty of noodles with that load as is!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice group of guns there. Beautiful double and some nice results.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

So much for the .470,it can't even hit the Bull.................................... 8) 8) 8) 8) .
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that 470 case makes a statement. nice pictures and thanks for the report.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great report
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

What does one round of the 470 cost? If you were to have to buy a loaded factory round?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hornady's new line up of dangerous game ammo can be had in 470NE for about $6.oo a round. Before that was available the next best was Federal Premium ammo for about $17.oo a round. :shock:

I've only fired cast bullet handloads in mine so far, and frankly don't see any reason to switch to anything else right now.
NRA Life Member
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

ted the sweet spot with my 375 win BB is 36.0 grs of RL7 with the hornady 220.I have killed a mess of deer with that load and they go down hard.
AA2015 is another powder I want to try out.you can get a little bit more velocity with it over RL7.last month I went into a small shop and they had 3 lb's of it for 14.99 and bought all of it. :D .
pete
DAV life member.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

TedH wrote:Hornady's new line up of dangerous game ammo can be had in 470NE for about $6.oo a round. Before that was available the next best was Federal Premium ammo for about $17.oo a round. :shock:

I've only fired cast bullet handloads in mine so far, and frankly don't see any reason to switch to anything else right now.
I remember seeing Federal here for $140.00 for 20 rounds workes out to be $7.00 Canadian a round not too bad I guess. I picked some .404 up for a friend at a low price of $130.00. Gee ya got to be very well off to shoot the big ones?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

brno602 wrote: Gee ya got to be very well off to shoot the big ones?
If you don't handload, yes. I got set up to load for mine for under $200, brass, dies, bullet mold and gas checks. My brass has been loaded and fired 8 times now, and shows no problems. Don't know how many more it will go, but it's a comparatively low pressure round even at max loads, so sizing is the hardest thing on the brass. I should probably think about trying to anneal the necks, but I don't want to booger them up if I do it wrong.

Pete, my Winchester 375 also showed a strong preference for that 36 gr. load, but this Marlin doesn't really seem to care how much RL7 I put in it. That was a steal on that powder! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

TedH wrote:
brno602 wrote: Gee ya got to be very well off to shoot the big ones?
If you don't handload, yes. I got set up to load for mine for under $200, brass, dies, bullet mold and gas checks. My brass has been loaded and fired 8 times now, and shows no problems. Don't know how many more it will go, but it's a comparatively low pressure round even at max loads, so sizing is the hardest thing on the brass. I should probably think about trying to anneal the necks, but I don't want to booger them up if I do it wrong.

Pete, my Winchester 375 also showed a strong preference for that 36 gr. load, but this Marlin doesn't really seem to care how much RL7 I put in it. That was a steal on that powder! :mrgreen:
I know what you mean about reloading, I have never shot a big game animal with a factory round. Problem with some cals is you can't get brass you have to buy factory loaded ammo to get some brass like in the case of my friend with the .404. In the old day's I used to have to turn the belts of 460 WBY to make .416 rigby.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice guns and results Ted. Thanks for the write-up.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ted, do them cases need sizing for tha double?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nath I've been just partial sizing them just to get the neck tension back. Screw the die out about a quarter turn from bottom and run them through. Then I'll full length size about every third loading. Seems to be very easy on brass fortunately.
NRA Life Member
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

There you go again Ted, draggin' out that Krieghoff 470 Nitro Express to tease us. Can't you just tell us about it without the pictures?

Nice groups, both left and right.

You smack any MO whitetails with that rifle yet?
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

:lol: No teasing going here Steelbanger! Anybody that wants to, is welcome to shoot it. In fact I let a fellow I just met at the range on Saturday touch off a couple shots with it. All my family members and friends that shoot have tried it. Most of them were done after shooting two shots, some were done with one shot. :twisted:

I have not shot a deer with it yet. That's one of the reasons I've been working on a reduced load. I'll probably take it out this fall for deer, and maybe I'll get a chance to go on a hog hunt before then too. So far the only blood it's drawn has been from my forehead. :oops:
NRA Life Member
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

TedH,
I've never played with a double, so don't know what effect bullet weight has on regulation. Would a lighter bullet help any, or make things worse? Just wondered if the 475 pistol bullets would work.
Glenn
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Glenn,
Some do use lighter pistol bullets for practice loads. You can usually get away with about 100 gr. less bullet weight with the same powder charge and stay pretty close on target. The problem is when you start to slow the bullet down too much. Since the barrels are not on the centerline of the stock, recoil of the right barrel actually pulls the muzzle to the right and the left barrel to the left. That is why the barrels can't be parallel. The amount of recoil movement and length of time the bullet is in the barrel are critical. I have even noticed a difference in regulation when I shoot the gun from a Lead Sled as opposed to shooting off sand bags where it can freely recoil. Double rifles are built for one standard loading, shooting from a standing, supported, free recoiling position, and therefore are pretty much one trick ponies.
NRA Life Member
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

re. txpete's statement, "the sweet spot with my 375 win BB is 36.0 grs of RL7 with the hornady 220."

that is the load I use with both my win BB and Marlin 375 .... very accurate.

Cheers,

Carl
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

TedH wrote:Glenn,
Some do use lighter pistol bullets for practice loads. You can usually get away with about 100 gr. less bullet weight with the same powder charge and stay pretty close on target. The problem is when you start to slow the bullet down too much. Since the barrels are not on the centerline of the stock, recoil of the right barrel actually pulls the muzzle to the right and the left barrel to the left. That is why the barrels can't be parallel. The amount of recoil movement and length of time the bullet is in the barrel are critical. I have even noticed a difference in regulation when I shoot the gun from a Lead Sled as opposed to shooting off sand bags where it can freely recoil. Double rifles are built for one standard loading, shooting from a standing, supported, free recoiling position, and therefore are pretty much one trick ponies.
Thanks TedH, I've never heard all the nuances explained. Makes sense when you put it like that!
Glenn
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet!!! 8)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ted I handled a .500 Express double, dont remember the make but it was only $15,500. Was at the Owatonna Cabela's. Sounds like fun to shoot one. How far you from Bella Vista? I go thru there on H71 fairly often.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm a long way from there. I'm in central MO right on I-70.
NRA Life Member
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

TedH wrote:I'm a long way from there. I'm in central MO right on I-70.
HUH!! Just went by there today on way to Ohio. Sure was nice weather for shooting.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!