OT: 1864 Civil War Sword pix

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: 1864 Civil War Sword pix

Post by Old No7 »

Following-up on notes from the Project Sword sticky above, here's a combined view of my father's original 1864 Civil War Sword:

As shown, the maker is "Mansfield & Lamb" from Forestdale RI *, and it was inspected by CEW in 1864.

* Sorry to those from the south... but it is/was a Union sword. My dad says it was carried by a man from Lynn, MA (my birthplace), but all the details about the sword and the man who carried it were stolen back in the 70's -- along with an original Colt 1861 Navy too! Bastards! And we also lost an original ring-trigger 4-barrel pocket pistol in that rotten break-in...

In my haste to take some pictures before I returned the sword, I was so focused on getting clear close-ups of the maker & date marks, I didn't get a clear picture of the sword's blade! Dang it!!!

So you'll have to settle for the following instead... :D
This was an "impulse buy" if there ever was one! I got this Civil War Sword letter opener late one night after responding to some Project Sword messages. I think it's kind of cool -- and it works well too!

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

You have a Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber. It replaced the heavier Model 1840 Cavalry Saber, known as "Wristbreaker"

The Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber remained as standard issue until replaced by the Cavalry Sword Model 1913 designed by George Patton.

The difference between a sword and a saber is not the length or shape of the blade. A sword has two cutting edges and a saber has only one.

Mansfield and Lamb was one of the major suppliers as was Ames, Boker and several others.

Oh yes... Many of these were taken off dead and surrendered Yanks and use in the noble cause of the South by the gallant cavalrymen of the Confederate army.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's okay Old No7 - us Johnny Rebs will forgive you for having a Yankee sword! :wink:

Good post other than reading about the thieves. I HATE thieves!!! :evil: Sorry to hear they struck you - I hope they get theirs some day!!! :twisted:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is too cool. I had family on both sides of the war of northern aggression. My grandmother still has a letter from my 5X grandfather that he wrote during the war while he served the Great State of South Carolinia.

I hope that that bit of history stays with your familly for a long long time :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:That is too cool. I had family on both sides of the war of northern aggression. My grandmother still has a letter from my 5X grandfather that he wrote during the war while he served the Great State of South Carolinia.

I hope that that bit of history stays with your familly for a long long time :D
Very cool! 8) My family fought on both sides as well - literally a brother against brother (and father) situation. I have my great-great grandfather's Civil War discharge papers too!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

US Military swords and sabres are fun things to collect. I have a small collection. I have just donated a Civil War US Non-Commissioned Officers sword to the Sons of the American Revolution. We have a raffle and the money goes to provide college scholarships for outstanding Jr. R.O.T.C. graduates. This sword is a 1863 Ames (Chicopee Falls, Mass)

Being a Yankee sword, I had no particular attatchement to it.

I have traced my family pretty well, and thus far have found no Yankee's in the woodpile. All have fought in Texas units in the Confederate Army. I will quite checking, lest I have to deal with the issue of having a "blue belly" ancestor.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - Fellow Rhode Islanders made swords and Burnside Carbines, back then.

It kinda makes me wonder what else's hanging around in some elderly folk's attics, locally.

In 1975, a then very elderly neighbor of mine coughed up an 1871, factory cased, .320 S&W Revolving Rifle with three unopened boxes of ammo. :roll:
He wanted to trade it for a small .22 handgun, he could pocket.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is very cool. One of my true weaknesses, Civil War swords and guns. Not that I've got to handle much...just find them utterly fascinating and wonder what stories they could tell. My ggGrand Dad Cash was in the Confederate 5th Tenn. Cavalry(Mckenzie's), under General Wheeler from early 1862- wars end at Bentonville, NC. Would love to find a sword that was associated with one of "Wheeler's boys", but probably would have to sell my truck to buy it if I did. :o Tiffany taste on a Woolworth budget :? .
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

One of my greats survived andersonville. The pain goes both ways. Can't we all just get along?

;(
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Threads like this make me feel left out. I'm an Illinois born, Arizona raised Confederate sympathizer that has no roots at all to the war of northern aggression.

All of my ancestors immigrated from Europe well after the war.

J :cry: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Anyone know the value of the 1860 Cavalry sabers? I have a mint one that I bought many years ago.One side is marked; U.S. ADK 1862 and the other side is; AMES Mfg. Chicopee Mass .
Thanks
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Grizz wrote:One of my greats survived andersonville. The pain goes both ways. Can't we all just get along?

;(
:) Absolutely!!!!! :) :) :) I think among most Civil War enthusiasts, you will find admiration for both sides. If not for what the Gov't's stood for, then the brave men who fought for Blue and Gray.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

klhill... The Model 1960 Light Cavalry Sabre is pretty common and Ames was the most prolific maker. I would hazard a guess, your saber would fetch somewhere between $500 and $1,000 depending who, when, where and the phase of the moon.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Thanks for the info Charles.Having recently moved to El Paso I also appreciate your comments on living near the border.I'm still getting a feel for the culture here; guess I need to learn some Spanish too.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

El Paso is one of my favorite places on earth. I lived there full time for 6 years and withing 100 miles of there for another 5 years. I also traveled there several times a year of 20 years.

For great Mexican food try Forte's Mexican Elder.

El Paso Saddlery is still there although Bob McNellis is dead. His son now runs the business.

NEI mold makers are back in El Paso although Walt Melander is dead. His daughter is running the business.

I had better run and check my pulse. I may be dead also and just don't know it.

If you have not been to the Border Patrol Museum yet, do so, lots of guns there.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Charles, I'll definitely try Forte's.So far the best Mexican that I've found has been Carlos & Mickeys "Los Banditos". Also La Posta up in Mesilla is not bad.
Made my second trip to El Paso Saddlery last week.Have added two more of their fine holsters to about 6-8 that I've had for years.I think that Bob passed away in 2003? They are still making some great leather goods.Also been to the Border Patrol Museum twice.Interesting place and a good source of books on the southwest.Thanks again,
Kevin