338 Marlin Express?!?!?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

338 Marlin Express?!?!?

Post by Goat »

I have become interested in the 338 Marlin Express but wonder if it will go the way of the 356 ,307 and the 375. I "need" one like I need another hole in my head. I can not see it doing anything that I could not do with my BLR-81 in 358 except that the 338 is a Marlin. I would rather carry a Marlin but I have had great experiences with the BLR. I am sold on 35 caliber but am intrigued by this 338 Marlin. I owned a 308MX for about a year but only hunted with it a very few times before letting my brother borrow it. He killed a couple of deer with it then bought it. It was one of the most accurate leverguns I have ever played with. I was impressed with it but was not crazy about the 22" barrel. I prefer 20" and shorter. My brother has now killed six deer with as many shots with the 308MX and really likes it. I just happen to like the unusual and often larger than 30 caliber chunks of lead. I am a handloader so I guess it really does not matter if the 338 remains popular. Tell me how much I "need" one or show me the error of my reasoning. Maybe I should just take the money I would put into the 338 and get into casting my own bullets.... I just don't know.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 338 Marlin Express?!?!?

Post by Sarge »

Buy it if you want it. Your 'need' bases are covered.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

You need one just like I need one. Therefor lets go get a couple. Good caliber for the timber, especially with the new 250 grain Remington loads due out.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When Remington announced it was going to sell the ammo that pushed Me over the edge. :o .I plan to stock up on brass and if it goes the way of the others oh well. I have yet to shoot mine it as We have another round of global warming here, but if it clears up I may get out and shoot a few test shots. I really like the rifle.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, the .338 Marlin cartridge is a great/ideal choice for someone who's never had a rifle more powerful than a .30-30, like a .30-06/.356/.358/.375/.444/.45-70/etc, and wants to move up. :)

But - since I've already had all those - it's not very alluring to ME. :(

As far as getting another gun - heck, I've been trying to put my safe on a DIET lately - and....... I've been finding myself being drawn back more strongly into traditional BP rifles.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You have to try not asking for help here when it comes to if you should buy another gun or not because we are all positive, to advise you to the negative ain't gonna happen :D

I personally if I had a choice would plum for a 307 or 356, carry better :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

it looks like a great cartridge on paper,for all north american game. so is the 30-06, so is the .348 winchester. i can go to boxmart and get 06 shells for $13.99 a box. i've never seen the other 2. if you hard on line you'll find .348's going for 65.00 a box. if you can live with that, grab a .338 and have a blast 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had similar thoughts when I got my .450 Marlin.
I'm glad I went ahead and got it anyway.
Love that rifle.
It didn't take long to pick up enough ammo, brass and even a spare set
of dies so that if it does dissapear from the factory loadings my
kid's children will still be shooting it.

Been thinking I'd like one of the new .338s as well.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sounds a lot to me like you would "really" rather have the shorter barreled Marlin.
Personally, I would much rather have a .444/45-70/450 marlin.
That .338 Marlin "especially with the shorter barrel" don't impress me much.
If I was going that route, I just would get a cheap 30-06 Bolt and chop the barrel to 20" (friend is a Gun Smith from old Ithaca Gun) but still Reeser's Gunshop in Pa will do it for $45

Good Luck!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My reason for buying the 338 MX besides wanting one. Is because I was late to the party on the 356BB and when I wanted one it wasn't easy find and the price was high . So I wanted to be early to the party this time and if I don't like it I can can sell with no regrets. So far I like it, I also handload. But what is different from the 356 BB is a lighter barrel so even with the longer barrel it still has good balance. It is accurate and good fit and finish.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Goat wrote: but was not crazy about the 22" barrel. I prefer 20" and shorter.
Goat

Doesn't that really say it all!
Wouldn't buy a gun I am not crazy about-----unless you think it's an wise investment. :wink:
Then if you use it hunting you wish the barrel was shorter/if you think it will grow in value for an investment
untouched you wont be hunting with it/if you chop that gun's barrel you have dumped a ton and the value for resale is lost because of it being modified?????????

Bottom Line: If you are not crazy about it----Don't get it!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a .338 and love it. I prefer the longer barrel of the SS rifle I have. Just super accurate! :D
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Considering the same myself and have asked questions about it on this forum. My hangup right now is the ammo. Hornady "Leverevolution" bullets are not high on my list.
Waiting for others to start loading, (Federal I hope)

I have a BLR in.308 so don't necessarily need the 338 (especially with that darn safety)
but planning on moose hunt soon, elk too, I think the 338 will be just a bit better than the .308 for those two critters. IF I can get good bullets.

Still thinking about the 356 Marlin. But I think the 338 may give me a bit more range.
I still am upset with Marlin for not producing the .307 in the 336. I had a Win 94 in 307, traded it like a moron (I was young) the trigger was more than terrible. Never shot that well with it because of the trigger. (Was good enough to kill deer though, just not satisfied, I thought it should shoot better groups)