Anyone Tried to Install Enlarged Marlin Lever on Old Marlins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Anyone Tried to Install Enlarged Marlin Lever on Old Marlins

Post by Idiot »

I've wanted a couple new Marlins (pictured below) but have realized that it will be a while before I can afford them. So I've decided to modify a couple of my Marlins to include a couple features I like on the new ones. One of the things I like about the new Marlins is the oversized lever. I have large hands which become bigger when gloved. The standard Marlin lever is a tad tight when my hands are gloved and I'd like to replace it with the new oversized levers.

Has anyone tried to install one of these new oversized levers on older Marlins with pistol grip buttstocks?

I want to put one on a pre-safety M336 chambered in 30-30 Winchester and one on a beat up old M444 with a cross-bolt safety.

Here are pictures of two Marlin models sporting the oversized lever. The first is a 336 BL and the second is a 1895 SBL. The photos are from the Marlin Firearms Website.

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone Tried to Install Enlarged Marlin Lever on Old Marlins

Post by Leverdude »

They should work. The only one thats different is the 1895 45/70 levers. They have a milled away area so the 45/70 rim will get by.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I bet it will be along time before there will be any available from Marlin.
EarlFH
Levergunner

Post by EarlFH »

I think that "Wild West Guns" in Alaska makes these for their custom rifles. You could probably buy one from them.

EarlFH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like that lever. It looks a lot like the Josh Randall/Wanted Dead or Alive "wedge loop"! :mrgreen:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

EarlFH wrote:I think that "Wild West Guns" in Alaska makes these for their custom rifles. You could probably buy one from them.

EarlFH

They make them inhouse. Theres a picture going around of a prototype that has a WWG lever on it though that I think started this rumor. Theres another rumor going around that Marlin will be selling them to gunsmiths & ffl holders soon. That one makes sense because they always have sold the standard levers but not at retail.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I'll probably hold out for the Marlin version. The shape is right and it is just large enough to work while not getting in the way. Thanks for the responses.