OT : Crescent buttplates and large cal rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

OT : Crescent buttplates and large cal rifles

Post by JFE »

I am about to take possession of a Win 1885 in 50/90 that's fitted with a crescent buttplate. It certainly looks the part but I expect it is going to re-define pain from recoil.

Short of having a new buttstock made for the rifle, is there some sort of slip on pad the would fit the curved buttplate and make it more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads ? I'd prefer that it looked the part too.

Any suggestions ?

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT : Crescent buttplates and large cal rifles

Post by JReed »

They aren't to bad if you mount them correctly. With the crescent butt it is designed to go on your arm between your bicep and deltoid any where else and you are gonna be in a world of hurt.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yup --- what JReed said.

Put that crescent buttplate (or almost any part thereof) on or into your shoulder, as you would a "normal" buttplate, and your gonna have a mark...!

You could sell subscriptions to the neighbors, to come in 2 or 3 times a week, and watch that mark change colors.

A man should be able to turn a little profit....... :lol:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Everyone's different.

With all due respect to Jeremy, mounting those big bangers on your arm
HURTS! I'd rather have another root canal!!

For me, tucked in tight to the shoulder, and pulling in towards you is far more comfortable.
But I'm 6'2"/ 275 and have a "little" padding up there.

I suggest trying it both ways to find what's best for you.
And congrats on such a fine rifle!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Gunny Reed has it right, look for some of Kirk's post with pictures of the correct form for shooting a crecent butt rifle. My hunting load for my .45 Kentucky rifle is 90 grains of fffg and I don't have a problem with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

WRT the crescent - in the field, you will not notice the recoil.
If you shoot from the bench, you can use a slip on recoil pad with velcro fastner as is sold by Midway, Cabelas, etc.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Don't know about a big 50, however my 1895 in 30-06 with the steel butt plate kicks harder and leaves nore bruises than my 50 alaskan or 458wm!! :shock:
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

50-90s and other large caliber rifles with crescent buttplates are designed to be tucked into the shoulder in order to absorb the recoil. The curve of the buttplate matches the curve of the shoulder. Target rifles with schuetzen or swiss buttplates were made to fit above the bicep but they were seldom chambered in anything larger than the 38-55. If you're shooting your big bores off your arm, I bet you're holding your 1911 sideways (gangsta style) as well. :lol:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

cowboykell wrote:50-90s and other large caliber rifles with crescent buttplates are designed to be tucked into the shoulder in order to absorb the recoil. The curve of the buttplate matches the curve of the shoulder. Target rifles with schuetzen or swiss buttplates were made to fit above the bicep but they were seldom chambered in anything larger than the 38-55. If you're shooting your big bores off your arm, I bet you're holding your 1911 sideways (gangsta style) as well. :lol:
The only time my 45-70 is a problem shooting of the arm is when shooting from a bench. Shooting offhand I don't even notice. And no I don't shoot pistols sideways the sights regulate better if you hold them upside down. :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis