1881 marlin tang sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

1881 marlin tang sight

Post by model55 »

Which Marbles Tang Sight would fit a large frame 1881 Marlin?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1881 marlin tang sight

Post by jdad »

All vintage Marlin's had 1-1/8" hole spacing, on the top tang. I do not believe that either Marbles or Lyman made a tang sight that early, but there was a Ballard vernier that was availalbe.

This would be appropriate.
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.as ... egoryid=67
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I'm looking at a sight that may/may not be original but I'm keeping this in mind as well.Trying to get all three sights just greedy I guess.Thanks Jdad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Here's the best sight money can buy for an 1881, and it even comes with a free rifle :D :D
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =157834543

Seriously, it is NEAT sight on an 1881 and I was very tempted to take it off the rifle and keep it, but alas, I felt guilty about parting them.

I had a Lyman No. 1 on a Ballard Pacific that would mount on an '81, but it was pretty low and the bolt would whack it. It worked, but I had to drop it and reset it everytime I cycled the bolt.

Stroebel lists the Marlin verniers and graduated peep, as well as the Lyman No. 1 and No. 2, although he doesn't include an application code for the Lymans. The No. 2s came out pretty late in the '81 production, so I'd think a No. 1 would be better. It would have to be pretty tall and set back toward the rear mounting screw to work right. No Marble's are listed.

Have you tried one for an 1893 or 1895 just to see where things fit?

Another alternative may be to get the Win 1886 one, drill a new hole at the 1-1/8 spacing, and cut off the unecessary metal.

I don't know...

Good luck!
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

jdad wrote:All vintage Marlin's had 1-1/8" hole spacing, on the top tang. I do not believe that either Marbles or Lyman made a tang sight that early, but there was a Ballard vernier that was availalbe.

This would be appropriate.
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.as ... egoryid=67
Well there you go. That's a little cheaper than buying my rifle. That is a great price for that sight.
Chad
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Chad I'll be keeping an eye on your auction, unfortunately my rifle is not in nearly as good shape as yours.Bubba was there first with a wire wheel.Best of luck to you.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I just got one of the Jeff's sights for a 1881 and am antiquing it and installing it this week on a Marlin 1881 in 40-60 Marlin. And I get to shoot it too. The sight I got was top notch and a dead ringer for the broken original sight.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

and for another link, here's the MidwayUSA chart for Marbles application, including the tang sight bases and screw sets
http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/Appl ... _Chart.htm

oops....I see...it doesn't have Marlin 1881 on the list
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

There is a very specific tang sight of the common sporting type that either Lyman or Marble made for the Model 1881. It had kind of a Rube Goldberg base to allow the sight to clear the bolt. Somewhere (I can't recall where I saw it) Marlinman93 posted a picture of one of his 1881's wearing this sight. Maybe he'll chime in on this ...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags