Skinner Custom Winchester sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Skinner Custom Winchester sights

Post by J Miller »

Several other forum members have been bragging about their Skinner sights. Front, rear, peep, and other.
Well, I have a Win 94AE Trapper .45 Colt with the really thin barrel and a tilted front sight. It drives me nuts. So one day I got an idea. I emailed Skinner sights and asked him if he could duplicate my original front sight. He said, send him some measurements and he'd see.
I sent him this pic:
Ft sight mantage 94AE.JPG
and he sent me this sight:
Skinner front sight_94AETrapper.JPG
It sits on the barrel perfect and you almost can't tell it from the original. Except it looks better.

Now, all I have to do is go buy some low temp silver solder and get the old sight off. As you can see it's probably brazed on so I'll be grinding and filing it off. I'm not gonna put that much heat on the barrel.

So if you need a really custom front sight, check with Tim Skinner, most likely he can do it.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Skinner Custom Winchester sights

Post by nemhed »

Good for you Joe! As one of the braggers, I can say Dr. Tim is a stand up guy. Good luck with your project!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Joe, That looks very good. Get the old one off and solder the new one on with Brownells Force 777 silver bearing solder.

I have used it many times and it is good stuff with low melt temp but a strength of about 30,000 lb. sq. in.

I will mail you enough to do the job for free if you want. PM me. I don`t know what you would do for flux though. I bought a bottle from brownells when I bought the solder and I think it has to go UPS ground. Acid you know.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck,

Let me take a rain check on the Force 777 for right now. I want to check a couple local hardware stores. A couple of gunsmiths I've checked with on this have mentioned they use low temp silver solder and it works just fine.

Thanks for the offer, and I might get back to you on it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***