OT I know but I just had some of the BEST macaroni & cheese!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

OT I know but I just had some of the BEST macaroni & cheese!

Post by Hobie »

I hate leftovers. I cook just enough but if it is a bit too much I finish it off to avoid leftovers. Reheated food just chaps my... Food that is supposed to be hot that is cold just curls my hair. However, somebody brought by some of THE BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE I'VE EVER EATEN!!!!! Dang but it was good. It was even good re-heated! It was even good the next day! The dog usually gets a taste but tonight she was crying as I put the already clean bowl in the dishwasher. No macaroni and cheese for her. Not a smidgen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT I know but I just had some of the BEST macaroni & cheese!

Post by nemhed »

This thread is worthless without pictures ,... I mean a recipe!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You were prolly pasta due for a good meal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Hey Hobie, how is this "off topic"
Macaroni is made with short, ie carbine length barrels
and you have to lever them out of the bowl to feed them into the chamber.
Seems perfectly "on topic" to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually freeze all leftovers in Takeaway tubs to take to work for lunches because I prefer leftovers to sandwiches.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

So what made it so good?
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hold on, hold on . . .

. . . is it time once again for our quarterly "too many OT posts" post . . ? :lol:

Seriously - what made it especially good (other than perhaps the fact that you were just due for the uplift of some sensory pleasure)...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Y'all ain't had nuttin', til you've had a "lobsta macs & cheeze" shore dinner ! ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm making cheesy chicken/mushroom & noodles in a bit........ It's all good!!

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Wanna add a bit of change to yer macaroni & cheese???? Fry up a couple of pieces of bacon (crisp) and break the bits up into the macaroni &cheese. Makes for good eatin.
ED
Yer never too old
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

What made it good? Where did it come from? Homemade? Store bought? Kentucky Fried Chicken brand? Bojangles brand?

I make some with "extra" sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese. After mixing it up I put bread crumbs on top then bake. I have also used applewood smoked gouda...Mmmmmmm. Anyway...

WHERE did you get YOURS?!?!?!?
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hobie, pete, iron Marshall,

You boys don't just brag about your Mac & Cheese!

Post the recipes so I can add them to the cookbook!

We had company for supper tonight. I made a meatloaf, mashed potatoes, sweet peas, and biscuits.

I have enough meatloaf left for a couple of sandwiches, and einough Mashed Potatoes to make Boxty Cakes for supper tomorrow.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I have to agree with those asking fer the recipe. Best mac and cheese I have had in a long time was this luch thingamajig fer the microwave oven! I darn well know that that can't be the best there is!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

TedH wrote:So what made it so good?
That's a good question... I think that the cheese was perfect in quantity/taste/texture/proportion, it wasn't too "milky", the pasta was properly cooked. I always like mac and cheese but I never like it enough to eat left-overs...

I can't give you the recipe, I don't even know who brought it! A bunch of people brought food (as one does at such times around here) and somehow we've lost whose it was. :( I'm afraid we were a bit distracted.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I found that adding a bit of garlic to Mac and Cheeze makes a big difference. It seems to add to the cheeze. Doesn't take much, just got enough to let you know it is there. I also found well cooked cabbage mixed in with Mac and Cheeze goes very well together for left overs. ATB
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm sure your mac and cheese was good Hobie but I really want the recipe for that lobster mac and cheese I see posted above. That looks heavenly!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have never had mac and cheese.....never...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I love leftovers. :P
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A Kraft Dinner with a can of chili mixed in with chopped onion and extra cheese melted on top is not the worst meal in the world :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese is THE "go to" recipe, when you feel like making a down home meal that still has the flavors and complexities of a truly gourmet creation.
Not only is this meal delicious, Lobster Macaroni and Cheese is kid friendly too !

To begin your lobster macaroni and cheese, melt 4 oz of butter in a small pan over low heat.

When the butter has melted add the lobster and let cook for 5 – 7 minutes or until the lobster becomes opaque in color. (I usually opt to go with two 7 oz lobster tails rather than use a whole lobster to avoid additional steps in preparation.)
You can use a full size lobster just make sure to extract the meat properly. (* Remember claw meat will cook faster and will probably need to be extracted around the 3 – 4 minute mark.)
Remove the lobster from the butter when cooked and set aside.
While this is cooking put a pot of heavily salted water on the stove to boil.

Now it’s time to create a sauce.
Start by making a simple roux which is done by melting 1 oz of butter slowly on a medium/high heat. Once the butter has melted add a tablespoon of flour and stir constantly for about 2 minutes or until it begins to brown and give off a nutty smell.
This is where you add the heavy cream.
Bring the cream to a boil, then add the milk.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer for 3 minutes.

The water should be boiling by now, so it’s time to add the macaroni's.
If larger macaroni noodles are used, the larger openings in the pasta allow for larger amounts of cheesy sauce to be contained within each bite.

When the cream sauce has cooked for 3 minutes, slowly add the cheese - 1 handful at a time.
Be sure to allow each handful to fully melt before adding the next handful to ensure that the sauce doesn’t become clumpy in the end.

Once the mac's have finished cooking, strain them & combine the cheese sauce and noodles in a bowl.
When they have been fully combined, carefully fold in the lobster, set aside earlier.

Serve in bowls or place individual servings in a ramekin with a small piece of lobster meat on top.

Lobster Macaroni & Cheese Recipe

Ingredients:

2 seven ounce lobster tails or 1 lobster – room temperature, cut into small chunks
5 ounces unsalted butter
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup whole milk
3 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
3 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
12 ounces elbow macaroni / pasta

Directions:

1. Cut the butter into one ounce cubes. Place 4 ounces of butter in a small pot and melt slowly over low heat.
2. Add the lobster meat and cook for 5 -7 minutes or opaque in color. Claw meat will cook faster so make sure to check this after 3 – 4 minutes of cooking.
3. When cooked remove from heat and remove lobster meat. Set aside.
4. Place a pot on high heat with heavily salted water for boiling the macaroni.
5. Melt 1 ounce butter in medium sized pot over medium/high heat. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly until the mixture browns and develops a nutty smell.
6. Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add the milk and, again, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
7. While this is simmering the water should have reached a roaring boil. Add macaroni to the pot of boiling salted water.
8. When the cream sauce has simmered for 3 minutes slowly add the three cheeses, a handful at a time, and stir until fully incorporated.
9. When the pasta is fully cooked, pour the pasta into a colander to drain off water.
Place the pasta in a bowl and add the cheese sauce. Mix well. Fold in the cooked lobster meat and serve immediately.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Doc, my wife wants your recipe for the mashed potato Boxty.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

My mom makes a macaroni and cheese casserole she calls "Glorious Macaroni". It has mushrooms, pimentos, mayonnaise, and cream of mushroom soup in it. It's ALWAYS the first to go at our reunions. I'll see if I can get and post the recipe.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.