92 Rossi Feeding

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
5shooter
Levergunner

92 Rossi Feeding

Post by 5shooter »

I have a 92 Rossi in 357 Mag and it doesn't want to feed my 200 grain bullets worth a hoot. They have a .35" long nose and a fat 80% meplat. The nose feeds into the chamber but the side rails don't want to let the case rim come up early enough to keep the cases from binding as they enter the chamber.

Does anyone know the best way to modify the 92 to feed these rounds? It looks to me that either the bottom of the chamber needs to be relieved where the cases enter the chamber or the side rails modified so the case rim can pop up earlier.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 92 Rossi Feeding

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

The '92 was designed for tapered cartridges, not straight cases like the .357 Magnum. Feeding the .357 is marginal at best and was only accomplished by changing the feed rails from the original design. Back in the 50s and 60s when the original '92s were being converted to.357 and .44 Magnum feeding with standard bullets was problematic frequently requiring a "kicker" be fabricated and installed in the carrier to lift the rear of the cartridge lifter. The best solution is change bullets to one with a more tapered nose and smaller meplat unless you are content to single load them.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Is the 200 a tad long in overall length?
1.290 + .350 = 1.64"
Standard OAL is 1.59" so you might just have to seat them a little deeper also.

I relieved the bottom of the chamber. It didn't take much for flawless feeding of 180s.
Last edited by Tycer on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

There are alot of folks here that load 180 grain cast flatnose bullets but i don't know of anyone that loads 200 grain. I think a 200 grain might be to long for a 92 action.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In my 92, I also have trouble with the wide flat nose bullets. The factory Hornady .325 grain XTP bullets load perfectly as long as I work the lever all the way. Short stroking it does make it mess up, but that isn't the gun's fault.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost