Colt Burgess levers: How does the action function?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Colt Burgess levers: How does the action function?

Post by kaschi »

With the advent of the new replica by Uberti, it made me wonder how the thing actually works. By the looks of it, the loading gate is different for starts. It seems (from what I can tell in pictures) that there is a sliding door of some sort that must be pushed forward to allow the gate to fold inwards ala Winchester. Is that correct?
So, how abut the internals: Does the Burgess use a lifter similar to the Winchester 92 or is it a 73 style where the brass lifter simply operates in a vertical movement?
Last question: How is the breech bolt designed? In the pictures, it looks sort of like the round one on a 73 but I can't tell for sure.
The Uberti website has a short video on the Burgess but it's not very informative. It does not show the action functioning up close for a guy to see what's really going on.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Colt Burgess levers: How does the action function?

Post by kaschi »

I don't believe that there is not at least one individual hear who does not know what a Burgess internals are like :?:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have checked every site I have a link to for an exploded drawing and come up empty.

It may be a bit early to ask that question. They were just introduced and may not be out yet.

The originals were only made two years well over a hundred years ago so there probably isn't much out there about them.
I'll keep looking and post anything I find.

BTW, I've never seen a Colt Burgess in the flesh. I have no idea how their internals work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Sorry kaschi, but I hadn't noticed your post. This page should answer your questions.

It's a toggle link action but is much simpler than the Winchester. It uses a carrier more like the '81, '92, et al. There are a couple of weak spots, which Uberti hopefully has addressed with slight changes or better materials.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KWK,

Where did you find that? Just curious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Joe, about a year ago one of the Members on Cascity posted about the New Burgess. I inquired about the action and Abiline I think posted that information.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ic=24131.0
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

As one can easily see --- NOT the strongest of lock-ups...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, IMHO this Colt/Burgess link DEFINITELY belongs somewhere on our leverguns.com resources/home page:

http://www.rieckesbaysidegallery.com/co ... nnards.cfm
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It is a cool looking rifle but I am NOT cool with the design of its workings!!!!! :x

It will be interesting to see what Uberti did to fix its flaws. :?
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Joe, .45colt said it for me. I'd copied the link into my notebook many months ago.

Okay, guys, I fail to see where this action is greatly inferior to the '73. Both use toggle links, so the strength won't be the greatest; but the Burgess is more compact, uses fewer parts, and is fairly easy to disassemble. It looks to be adequate for the .44-40 for which it was designed. (I wonder why it wasn't designed open top like the '92?) The ejector certainly looks iffy, and the firing pin will need very good materials, but on the whole it looks like a reasonable design.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Thanks guys! I'll have a look-see at those links.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for reference.

Joe
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Colt Burgess is almost identical in it's workings to the 1881 Marlin, which also incorporated many of Andrew Burgess' patents. The sliding loading gate is typical Burgess, as is the tube feed design with it's scalloped edge where it meets the receiver.
Of course the Colt Burgess is a later version, coming out in 1883. :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/