Cat Sneeze loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Cat Sneeze loads

Post by Rusty »

Well I finally got around to doing a little work on these things. I thought I'd use my .30-30 Handi Rifle as the work platform for these since the barrel is somewhat shorter than my Ruger #1 in .308.
The first step was to drill out the primer pockets of 5 cases with a 7/64th bit. With the flash holes enlarged I set about using some CCI Magnum large rifle primers that I picked up just today. I loaded one complete round using a .310 swagged round ball with no lube of any kind. I thought about putting some Lee liquid alox lube around the joint of the round ball and the case but went the easy way first to see how things would play out.
Being dark by the time I got this finished I only let off one round. The .310 ball passed in and out of an unopened Diet Coke can. The noise level was on par with my .22 cal Benjamin air rifle at full power, only this round has a lot more power than an air rifle.
I'll try to do some accuracy testing tomorrow.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting idea!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just the primer - no powder??? :?:
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

no poudre!

Post by MacEntyre »

You made a "30 Colibri"!

I'll have to try that. My quietest sneeze uses 0.5 gr Bullseye with a .310 round ball weighing 0.47 grains.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mo powder at all. Just a Magnum primer. I didn't want to try it with a Standard primer but It might have worked anyway.

Rusty <><

Ysabel Kid

Re: no poudre!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

MacEntyre wrote:You made a "30 Colibri"!

I'll have to try that. My quietest sneeze uses 0.5 gr Bullseye with a .310 round ball weighing 0.47 grains.
+1 :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I did the same thing w/ a 308 , .310 round ball and 3 grains of 4064.

Fired it in my basement. Bullet made more noise hitting the block of wood than it did going off! Passed through about 1" plywood.

I just used standard primers and didn't alter the flash hole.
Was planning on making some more today. Have also made them for 30-30.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

*** UPDATE***

I went to the range today to sight in my Handi rifle after swapping scopes. I also took five of the new cat sneeze loads that I cooked up last night. After the sight in was done I fired three of the loads. I couldn't see a thing, not a mark on the paper. I was afraid of that. about that time they called the range cold and I went down to visually inspect the target.
At 6 O'clock right on the very lowest edge of the paper was a dirty semi circle of a hole with what looked like dust sprinkled around it. that must have been one of my rounds. OK says I next time I'll hold 12 O'Clock high on the top edge and see where it goes.
With the range hot again I loaded up cat sneeze #4. I got a very muffles click on this one. Closer inspection revealed that the ball had stuck in the barrel.
It was the end of the day and the range was about to shut down so I didn't bother to get the cleaning rod out of my car to clear the ball. I'll do that tonight when I clean up the Handi rifle. Before I start adding a small powder charge I think I might try putting some Lee Alox lube in a syringe and just dribble the slightest amount around the join of the lead ball and the case. I can always go on to powder later.
Thanks,
Rusty <><

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

ALWAYS take a cleaning rod when shooting cat sneezes!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Try dipping the bullet in liquid alox, after it is seated.
I do this for my heel base, outside lubed 32 long / short Colt loads.
Quiet loads for these can be made with a .310 sized ball and a few grains of Bullseye.
otteray