Calling to order, meeting of Win 71 nuts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Calling to order, meeting of Win 71 nuts

Post by big bear »

I am restocking a Winchester 71 that I acquired. The original stock ws shattered by the postal service. It had an old recoil pad on it. I have acquired a replica red rubber pad and a steel buttplate(found it after I got the pad). Dilemma...which should I put on the stock. The rifle will not be original so that doesn't enter the picture. I like the steel butttplates on my other winchesters, but that rubber pad might be awfully nice as I get even older and get around to shooting all those 250gr Barnes bullets I have squirreled away. So what do you gentleman say??? I'm deciding in the morning as I need to order the stock cause my friend hose doing the work wants to get at it this winter. I'll be interested in your thoughts. Thanks!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Calling to order, meeting of Win 71 nuts

Post by Leverluver »

I tried a few of those "red rubber" pads and they were no better than the steel buttplate. I'd either go steel or go to a pad that would really absorb some recoil.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Tough decision. If you are going to shoot it a lot you'd sure appreciate a pad, but I'd with a decelerator pad instead of the Winchester red. If you want it to look "right" then definitely the steel.

I just listed a M71 on Gunbroker that I had a decelerator pad installed on, but the original steel can still be replaced. Looke here for details:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =153138712

It is a very attractive solution, in my opinion, and a pleasure to shoot.
Chad
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I would put the metal plate on. Then I would get an inexpensive rubber slip on pad to use when I take it to the range. The pad can be then used on any of your other rifles too, but you still keep the original look of your guns when it's off.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Gun Smith wrote:I would put the metal plate on. Then I would get an inexpensive rubber slip on pad to use when I take it to the range. The pad can be then used on any of your other rifles too, but you still keep the original look of your guns when it's off.
That make some nice leather ones also.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1
Ricky

DWWC
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

big bear wrote:I am restocking a Winchester 71 that I acquired....The rifle will not be original so that doesn't enter the picture....that rubber pad might be awfully nice as I get even older and get around to shooting all those 250gr Barnes bullets I have squirreled away. So what do you gentleman say?....
Don, since you're not concerned with originality put a good recoil pad on and enjoy those heavy bear loads! :D Then Magna-port that 71!!!. :D :D

My Browning 71 carbine-top; Browning 71 rifle-bottom:

The Browning 71 carbine with the recoil pad is Magna-ported and my close-in "Bad Bear" 71. :D :D :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'd go for the nice black decelerator pad as well.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

My vote is for steel, my two 71's never seemed to kick so hard that I thought a pad was required.
But recoil is subjective, if a pad makes shooting it more enjoyable, go for it!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Thanks guys, I think I'm going steel and get a slip on if I need it. Might have a recoil pad for sale. With regard to recoil, only problem I've ever had was when I challenged my youngest, a big lad,( he played safety a few years before he got serious about physics ) to a shooting match, me with my beater 71 and him with his 94 in 44mag. Problem was, it was July, we had been clearing brush all morning, and I was only wearing a sweaty t-shirt. Of course I beat him, but you should have seen the bruises on my shoulder, and man did it start to really smart ever time I fired a round off. Not being macho, just ol' guy dumb!
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

mod71alaska wrote:
big bear wrote:I am restocking a Winchester 71 that I acquired....The rifle will not be original so that doesn't enter the picture....that rubber pad might be awfully nice as I get even older and get around to shooting all those 250gr Barnes bullets I have squirreled away. So what do you gentleman say?....
Don, since you're not concerned with originality put a good recoil pad on and enjoy those heavy bear loads! :D Then Magna-port that 71!!!. :D :D

My Browning 71 carbine-top; Browning 71 rifle-bottom:

The Browning 71 carbine with the recoil pad is Magna-ported and my close-in "Bad Bear" 71. :D :D :D
Those sure look nice! But I'm trying to restain myself $ wise. The carbine sure is sweet though, now look what you have started!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have a Winchester 71 and a Browning High Grade 71 Carbine both guns have the original metal butt plates but I added a slip on Limbsaver to both. They work well and do not alter the rifles. I say go with the original metal plate then get a slip on or leather butt pad. The ones out of Cabelas look pretty nice actually and relatively inexpensive. $35.

Just my .02

I love 71's

8)