OT - Maintaining or replacing hex wrenches

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - Maintaining or replacing hex wrenches

Post by AJMD429 »

With all the 'metric' and 'semi-metric' (cheaply made) and just odd Allen wrench sizes and bolts, it seems I'm always looking for one snug enough not to strip out a particular bolt. I often replace the cheaper ones on scopes and mounts with Brownell's hex or Torx ones, but still the wear and tear 'rounds' my hex wrenches.

I've ground the tips shorter on a few and thus 'freshened' them for continued use, but I hesitate to 'harden' them lest I damage the screws more than the wrenches (and the screws are in the gun, and could get stuck there, vs. I can just throw away a bad wrench).

Any helpful hints on maintaining hex wrenches and so on?

Right now my 'secret' is just having a butt-load of them, all different (alleged) sizes, etc., and making sure fit is snug on whatever I'm turning.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Maintaining or replacing hex wrenches

Post by kimwcook »

I think you've answered your own question there Doc. It's a pain I agree. Always seems like the one I need is the one I can't find or don't have.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Unless there is a space restriction, I don't use the angled hex wrenches.
I use replaceable bits in my bit driver. They are usually a bit harder than the angle wrenches and better made.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ordinary hex keys are cheap as dirt. I cut em off a time or two with the dremel, then toss em. A wrrench softer than the screw is better than the other way around....
Certified gun nut
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I much prefer bits to angled hex wrenches. I spent a good deal of money of a quality set that has both standard and metric hex bits. They don't round off like the cheapos do and I always have one that will provide a snug fit. Of course being an auto technician for 22+ years I learned the value of quality tools long ago. Buy it once and forget about it.
NRA Life Member
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

for general purpose use... Klein tools or Snap on both make pretty good sets of allen keys. They seem to hold their shape and the bigger Klein sets are stout enough to feign with a wrench if needed.

I try to use a bit from a gunsmithing set if I can on guns.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Having a bunch is the answer. Renew or replace as necessary. I like Torx best.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Ideally, the hex wrench should be much harder than the screw, so it will break just before it buggers the screw socket.

Beyond that, you may need a shot of KROIL on the screw before you try it again.

And yes --- Torx is the way to go.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Another vote for Torx. I switch over to them whenever possible.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorry to sort of hijack this topic, but if the wrenches are being stripped, is it possible that you are tightening too much. I ruined a Bushnell scope once from overtightening. They replaced it for free.
The torque needed on a scope is measured in inch-pounds. Don't do as I did and get the screws "Farmer Tight" and ruin a good scope by crushing the tube. There is a product called a F.A.T. wrench which would probably be worth your time to purchase as it is designed to be used on things like scopes. Using it and some loctite should hold any scope or gun part right where it should be without damage.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I use hex wrenches daily for work. Some brands are better then others as for as the L shaped wrenches go but they all wear out in time. When they start getting rounded chunk them and get new ones. I use the hex sockets when possible but they also will round off with enough use.
Ricky

DWWC