OT - Be carefull out there!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Be carefull out there!

Post by cnjarvis »

I was hunting my tree stand next to the feeder Saturday morning and at 11:00 I started to get down. I had just picked up my waist pack and was shouldering it when the nylon ratchet strap holding the tree stand snapped. No safety harness + 15’ drop equals OUCH! The express elevator’s descent was slowed somewhat by a 2 to 2.5” branch which I snapped on my way through it. I hit my right side, hips first, then shoulder. I thought about laying there awhile to collect my wits but was afraid that if I didn’t get up and move, I might not move for quite awhile. Nothing broken or bruised but I’m pretty sore. Feeling much better today than I was then. Darned lucky I’m not dead or worse.

Why wasn’t I wearing a harness? The darned thing wouldn’t fit over my 4 layers of clothes. Guess I’ll be getting one that WILL fit now.

Did I mention OOOWWWWWWW!!!??
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Be carefull out there!

Post by 86er »

I'm glad you are okay! I've seen worse. Many years ago I fell out of a tree twice in the same day! The next weekend I bought a full body 4 point harness and a HSS vest. When I am wearing a lot of clothes the 4 pt goes under my clothes with the strap sticking out the collar. When I can get it over clothes the HSS vest goes over everything. I will not hunt in a tree stand without one.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Glad you are ok! Would some rope in addition to the ratchet strap of helped?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Glad you're ok.

Most of us tend to discount falling as a hazard while engaging in our outdoor activities, but it seems to take the greatest toll.

I'm an ice fisherman and the worst outdoor injury I've ever received was not falling through the ice, but on it.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Bet you didn't know you were being filmed did you...?

:shock:

Hidden Video..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Funny Andrew, very funny. :evil: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I'm more of an Ogre than a bear.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I had a similar fall several years ago, it's amazing how much can run through your head during that second and a half. That fall occurred while hanging a stand. I shudder to think about falling with a rifle or bow in my hands. I'm not scared of heights but after several years of using tree stands and thinking about the pros and cons of hanging out in trees, it seems to me the cons of tree stand use have outnumbered the pros. I haven't used a stand in about eight years. I'm going to get more serious about bowhunting during the next couple of years, so I may change my tune somewhat, we'll see.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm glad you're ok, but you already know how close you came to screwing the pooch, don't ya?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i climb utility poles at work, burning [sliding down] a pole from 18' or so is
never a good experience. usually the ground arrives before i know anything
is wrong. i feel your aches and pains for sure. better clinging next time. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

BlaineG wrote:I'm glad you're ok, but you already know how close you came to screwing the pooch, don't ya?
I believe I do. Don't think I haven't thanked God and my lucky stars that I'm on this side of the dirt and MOL in one piece.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I fell out of a tree climbing to put in a tree stand many years ago. Before they had commercial tree stands so affordable (to my income). I crushed three vertebrae. Spent a year on a board completing my senior year of college. I know you are sore. I feel it each and every day. Glad you came away walking and hope everyone here uses a harness while hunting. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Glad your ok...
Please wear a safety harness....
I wear mine when ever I use my climber...
I go 25 feet or higher at times....
Most of our ladder stands have a rail so
i dont use them there...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Hunting should be done on the ground. Even a child knows that to 'hunt' Easter eggs requires boots on the ground. :D

Glad you're okay otherwise. Hate to lose a fellow Okie from this forum.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Fella I know had a similar incident occur a few years back. He was sitting in his stand about 15' up when it let go of the tree. No safety strap or harness. Straight down.

Impact broke his back. Couldn't stand up to walk out. He dragged himself a ways until it hurt too bad to move and then he made noise until his hunting buddies came looking for him. Doesn't hunt anymore.

Something to think about on a couple of points, one being of course the use of at least a safety strap, another being whether or not you hunt alone or with a buddy.

Gettin' yourself hurt out in the yonder has a potential to turn out bad.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Senior Levergunner

Re: sllightly OT - Be carefull out there!

Post by 2571 »

Came into the deer camp house cold & walked to the woodstove in the dark. Tripped & landed on both palms on top of the stove. OUCH!

Spent next 4 hours with cold soda pop cans in both hands. Blisters are impresive but pain gone now.

Saw no deer so that's my hunting story for this year.