Minimum battery?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Minimum battery?

Post by Old Savage »

Pistols, rifles, shotguns for what you DO? Xmas is coming up and always good to have ideas going.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Minimum battery?

Post by Doc Hudson »

IMO, the minimum battery consists of a .22 LR rifle, a .22 LR handgun, a 12 gauge shotgun, a centerfire handgun, and a centerfire rifle.

For me those guns are:

.22 LR rifle = Marling Golden model 39A
,22 LR handgun - Ruger Super Single-Six 5.5" barrel
12 gauge shotgun = Mossberg Model 500
Centerfire handgun - S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum
Centerfire rifle = Browning BLR, .358 Win

Your choice of weapons and calibers may vary.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

pair of 8Ds in series but I gave 'em up when I switched to air-start.......

oh, gun battery. minimum? a .22

can kill a cow, horse, goose, geese, squills, ducks, rodents, swine, swine flu, flys, snakes, coyotes, wolves, deer, fish, fowl, chickens too..... that'd be about the bare minimum I reckon

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A 'set' of .357 or .44 or .45 guns: CCW handgun, 'Ranch' handgun, Carbine, & Rifle.

Add to that a (pump) shotgun and as many .22 LR's as you can afford (ideally one to 'mimic' each of the centerfire 'set' so you can practice and plink cheaply.

That's six to nine guns. For an eight to eleven-count battery, add in a .308 or some other pointy-bullet, long-range bolt-gun, or M1A if affordable. Top it off with an AR-15 style EBR in .223 if you want, just so when the authorities confiscate it all, they have something 'scary-looking' to show on television. :roll: :evil:

Should a 'minimum' battery just be three, or four, guns? Perhaps, but I'm thinking for a family with several kids, a homestead to run, maybe livestock, a garden, and at least one of them likely to need CCW when off at work or wherever.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

870 rem or if has to be lever, 1887 chicom ripoff. .356 94 bigbore. 22 colt new frontier. and an m4 a2 for the end of the world senerio. glock 27 .40 s&w for everday carry.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Minimum battery....... .22 long gun, .22 handgun, 1894 .44mag, SBH 4 5/8", 12 ga SxS Baikal w/chokes, and the scoped Ruger '06 bolt. That would do it all, expect for the really big Africa stuff.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

For me in the US:

Model 60-3 Pro in .357.
'92 NKJ slicked in .357
a .22lr rifle
a 12 gauge shotgun
large caliber rifle 1886 45-70 or bolt rifle in .303/30-06
.54 Cal Flintlock .62 Cal smoothbore flintlock
.20 Cal Air Rifle(highly accurate, high energy, scoped)

That would do it for me right now.

Planning on going to Africa so I have added these:

12 bore paradox. (this could replace the 12 gauge and .22lr and large bore rifle above)
double rifle in 9.3x74R
.375 H&H or 416 Rigby.
.475 linebaugh pistol
a bolt rifle in .303 or 30-06. (same as above)

I also have .22lr pistol, a 9mm Sig 226 combat, a colt .44sp, a bond derringer in .357 and a 20 gauge side by side. I plink witht the .22, the combat pistol would be my anti-personel weapon for serious times, the .44 is just a classic, the bond is an alternate to my smith, and the 20 an alternate to the 12 bore. I'm feeling the 1886 is supurfulous to my new direction of gun ownership. I will be hunting with the africa battery now. Leaves the .357s lever and pistol as my vehicle weapons. The .22 rifle wont get much use either.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I like what Doc had to say.

For me those guns are:

.22 LR rifle = Marlin model 39
,22 LR handgun - K-22, 4 inch on it's way soon
12 gauge shotgun = Mossberg Model 500
Centerfire handgun - S&W Model 21-4 CCH 44 Special
Centerfire rifle = Winchester 94AE 44 Magnum

Your choice of weapons and calibers may vary.

That's my minimum.

I have a half dozen other 22s (aren't they fun)
30-30, 7.62 x 54R, but thinking another 7.62 would be nice and a more modern 39A
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

One 20ga repeating shotgun.

I think that might be minimum enough. :mrgreen:

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

.223 cheap and accrurate

257 wby mag in rem 700 gets rid of the free bore speed man speed

.338 win mag

12 guage blo hole

North american continante is dominated

^
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

.22 LR rifle, 12ga shotgun (pump for me), centerfire rifle (.30 cal for me (preferably .30-06), also .444 but only because I have one). Could do without the .444 cal in a heart beat.

Handguns are ok but not essential much less necessary. I have some in .22LR and .38 Smith and Wesson Special but if they suddenly went by the wayside, I wouldn't miss them one wit.

One other must have item is a good woman that can cook. The size of the woman is not important.
ED
Yer never too old
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

+1 Grizz a 22 can do it all, I know a blood indian that kills biggame up in the Yaak with a win 62 helped him break down and pack out a moose a few years ago. danny
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Springfield 30-06
Winchester Model 12, 20 gage
Marlin 39a
Colt 1911a1

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recond a .22 could do it all, as far as I am concerned, it could even be a 22 revolver, with my preference being a Smith and Wesson 17-2 K-22 Masterpiece with a 6 inch barrel. With it I could poach all manner of large and small game, at least in the lower 48, and it could also serve for self-defense. But I sure would prefer more.

I could also do about the same thing, with a .62 caliber smooth bore flintlock fowler. But a Browning A5 might make more sense, and I truly could do about anything needing doing with it.

However, my minimum battery, for a about all that I normally do would would be the following;

Shotgun = Browning A5 would get it done, but I would also prefer at least one fine side by side, probably my Winchester 23, straight gripped, 25 inch barreled, side by side, with improved cylinder and improved modifed barrels.

.22 rifle = 1st choice would be, my little Browning BL22, but I sure would hate to give up my Winchester 9422 Mag.

Centerfire rifle = Without a doubt, and I have owned about everything, within the average man's reach, my first choice, and the last rifle left for me, would be my Browning BLR, Older Steel Frammed leveraction, in .308 Winchester, with a Leupold 2 X 7 Variable.

Pistol = It's hard to keep things simple here, but my first choice would be my Wilson Combat 1911, 5 inch 45 ACP, but there are many others that I would hate to give up, like a good .22 revolver (Smith K22 or Ruger single six), a good small gun or two, (Smith Model 60, Kel-tec 32, etc for some concealed carry options). And I hate to be without a good short barreled 44mag, like a 4 inch Smith N-frame, or Ruger Super Blackhawk.

And as far a pistols go, I could get by with about any good doubleaction 357 with a 4 inch barrel.

And last but not least, a Muzzleloader for deer hunting. Probably a .54 caliber, either caplock or flintlock. I don't need any of those new fangled inlines.

And as an alternative to all of the above, I once for quite a while as a young man, got along, and hunted, etc, done everything I wanted to do, with the following, and I recond I still could today, for the most part, but they didn't have a muzzleloading season back then.

Ruger 10/22 rifle, with a 3x9 scope
Smith and Wesson K22
Remington 700 bolt action in .270 Win with a 2 x 7 scope
Remington 1100 12ga with a vent rib, improved cylinder
NRA Life Member, Patron
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Triple digit collection. You did say minimum, right? Gotta aspire to something!!! :mrgreen:
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

About what I'm down to:

Marlin Mountie - 22lr
Ruger MKII - 22lr
Win 94 - 30-30
Rossi 92 - 357
Cimarron Model P - 45Colt
Combat Commander - 45ACP
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

OS....another fun post. Okay for me: S&W Model 17 .22LR, Winchester Model 67 .22LR, Colt 1911A1 or Sig P220 Stainless both .45ACP, Colt SAA .45Colt or S&W Model 28 .357 Magnum, Remington Model 870 12 Gauge Magnum, New England Shotgun RBL-20 20 Gauge, Remington Model 700 BDL 30-06 and Winchester M1 Carbine.....maybe a 9MM Beretta or Sig P229......maybe a Stevens 311 .410............

jumbeaux
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

My minimum battery would probably be:

22 lr BL-22
Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge
BLR 308 with a 2x7 redfield scope

I have other guns that I love to shoot, but these are the ones, that if push came to shove and I had to kill something, that would cover anything that needed to get shot. The pistols are nice, but I could do without them if I had to.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

you said minimum so......

12 or 20 ga shotgun , 22lr pistol and rifle, 357mag revolver, 30-30 rifle.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No longer range scope sighted rifle - where do you live - that would be essential out here?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

An accurate (2"@50 yards/5 shots) .22, either rifle or pistol.

A compact, reasonably powerful centerfire pistol suitable for defense or meat-getting in a pinch.

A pocket gun.

A compact 12 gauge repeating shotgun, slug capable and with choke tubes if possible.

A reasonably accurate (2.5 MOA or less/5 shots) centerfire rifle, zeroed for 200 yards.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

my Benjamin Sheridan .22, slicked up by Mac1 - it has taken more lives (2) than all my leverguns combined (1).

I'd also want a centerfire rifle, probably my Win 94 Legacy in .357. Bull barrel, my most accurate, could make meat. I might also choose the 1894c, but so far I like the Legacy better.

If minimum means number, and not ft-lbs, then my "other" rifle would probaby be a 336 in 35 Rem or 30-30 instead of the .357. If weight is a factor then the 1894c wins.

I was looking at the Henry website and they have some super-light rimfires, including a 22 mag single shot bolt gun that weighs about 4 lbs with scope. I bet you could keep the soup pot full with that, including big game taken illegally.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Most of mine and my kids stuff is handled by AA, but for a few applications the AAA is appropriate. So I'd have to say AAA as a minimum. I prefer Duracel on account of the Energizer bunny being pink.
Chad
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I'd break mine down into working guns and defense guns, bare bones:

Working guns:
-Ruger 10/22 or Winchester model 62 Pump, the 62 will handle shorts, longs and long rifles.
-Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm, 6 1/2" barrel. Loaded heavy, can take the place of a rifle out to 100 yards, plus allow me to shoot the most common calibers out there.
-Winchester 24 SxS 12 gauge. I've got a thing for side by sides! :D
-Marlin Guide Gun 45-70

Defense guns:
-Glock 19 9mm
-AK 47
-S&W model 642 .38 Special
-Remington 870 12 gauge
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Hard to say it's too subjective.

Me a Smith & Wesson 617 .22 LR,
a Marlin 39A .22 LR,
a Marlin .357 or .44 Mag, 4' or 5" barreled revolver (for me either a Ruger GP-100 or Ruger a Super Red Hawk. Red hawk would be cut down for easier handling.
a Marlin 1894 in either .357/.44 Mag.

East of the Mississippi:

a Marlin .30-30 Winchester or .35 Remington,

West of the Mississippi:

a .30-06 Springfield for western plains game thats skiddish at distance.

In big bear country or Africa a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Gov't

Back to the main list:

A 12Ga. gage pump shotgun. My choice is the Remington 870, with a smoothbore, rifle sighted barrel and a long vent ribbed upland game barrel with chokes.

A black powder Flintlock in .45 or 50 Cal.

A takedown recurve Bow, with dozens of arrows.

This is bare bones. A compact pistol of your choice is a great idea for in town use.

As far a deep (long term survival) the larger bore calibers like .35 Remington and .45-70 can be loaded with BP in a pinch along with a the .357/.44 Magnum cases for the handgun.

Spare parts, and more spare parts for all your guns, that could break or get lost. This needs to take care any of your needs in to the future. What ever the future brings. Including cleaning supplies and lubercants.

Then one need to have on hand reloading equipment, spare brass, powders, primers and assorted bullets, casting molds, casting lead ect, ect. Learning to make black powder is a useful skill for the future.

Learn to use archery and learn how to make your own strings, arrows heads, arrow shafts, and fletching. Spare limbs should be purchased at the same time you make the initial purchase of the bow, in case of future wear and or breakage.

This doesn't include spare weapons in case of theft, loss or confiscation, and outfitting other members of a family.

If I could only take two firearms on the run, I'd take the Handgun, and the Shotgun, with the bow brokedown in the pack.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

For me:

One scoped long range bolt gun that does deer, maybe elk, varmints...say .243 up to .270. Just in case...
One lever gun or single shot in a small varmint plinking caliber say .22Hornet to .32-20
One med high velocity lever gun or SS, say 30-30 or equivilent.
One large caliber brush buster, say .38 caliber or above...like the 38-72 up to the 45-70 (.348 also included here).
One .22 LR rifle
One Large caliber revolver....44 or .45
One small caliber DA revolver....38-357
One SA Auto 1911 style or Hi-Power 9mm up to .45 auto
One scatter gun 20, 16, or 12ga

I see no need to have a .22 pistol. personally...though I do enjoy them.

Ed
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I would a think:

22 rifle
357 revolver
Centerfire rifle of some sort (most anything 30 cal. or better would do here:
30-30, 35 Rem, 30-06, 303 British, 7.62X54R, 308, you get the idea.....)
12 or 20 gauge shotgun.

I oughta get a shotgun sometime. I'm not much of a bird hunter,
but a slide action would be just the ticket to keep in the closet.

-Stretch
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well I surpassed a MINIMUM BATTERY definition years ago! I dont plan to turn back time and get rid of any of them.

I have multiple centerfire rifles (all levers), multiple .22's, multiple shotguns (although in different calipers), and multiple pistols. With the current world situtation I think my best bet is to stick to buying powder, primers, bullets and brass!

Oh and I just noticed the SLING SHOT comment! A wrist rocket would be a good consideration. Fortunately for me this year I did come across and excellent buy on a nice .177 cal air gun that shoots 1,000 per second. I have 1,000 pellets stockpiled for now! Sure hope I don't end up having to eat that much squirrel if times get hard!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

7mm Rem Mag
12ga ithaca 37 deerslayer/28"mod combo
Kel-Tec P32

Honestly, Will do it all for what I need! Just will shoot the chucks with the 7mm Mag
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I'd say a 22 rifle and revolver combo. That's my minimum so I'll stop there. Can I bring along a good knife? If so I'll ask for my Cold Steel Trailmaster. It might be a bit large to skin a squirrel, but you can chop down a small tree and use it for shelter building.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

If i needed to hunt to provide food, i'd take my airgun and bow... the sound of a gunshot will attract/alert tons of people. The guns i would throw in the back of my truck i needed to leave my house:

.22 lr rifle and handgun
12 guage and my savage 340 30-30
both handguns in 9mm and 38 special..
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

Marlin 39A, harrington & Richardson 9 round break top 22 revolver,Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum,Thompson Contender (in your favorite caliber), model 1899 Savage in 259/3000, Ruger model 77 257 Roberts,Mossberg model 500 12 gauge, Savage model 24 22 over 20 gauge Savage. I guess that'll do but I left out a bunch
GIT 'R done
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

71fan wrote:Most of mine and my kids stuff is handled by AA, but for a few applications the AAA is appropriate. So I'd have to say AAA as a minimum. I prefer Duracel on account of the Energizer bunny being pink.

I'm not willing to go smaller than AA. A lot of my things use AA so I've got about a dozen rechargeables. I think if a slingshot were used to launch an AA it could take out the pink bunny.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Doc Hudson wrote:IMO, the minimum battery consists of a .22 LR rifle, a .22 LR handgun, a 12 gauge shotgun, a centerfire handgun, and a centerfire rifle.
That sounds about right:

.22 LR rifle -- Browning BL-22
.22 LR handgun -- S&W 617
12 gauge shotgun -- Benelli M1 Super 90
Centerfire handgun - S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum
Centerfire rifle = Browning BLR, .308
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

my opinion -----

an accurate .22 repeater , and a .22 pistol backup

Centerfire rifle with approximately 30-06 level capabilities for larger game. Smaller centerfire rifle like a 223 or 243 for Coyote, bobcat, etc. (wont destroy the pelt if that is a consideration) Like to have a bigger gun if i lived in bear country --- something along the lines of a Guide Gun maybe

Sidearm --- full size 357 magnum -- any brand will do

Deep cover --- 38 special compact frame

12 0r 20 gauge shotgun -- pump or auto

Where does this leave any levergun? Well, i guess a 30-30 (or the new 308 xlr) could easilly be inserted in the centerfire rifle category. or an 1895 Winny. or a Savage or Winny 88 in .308.

In terms of practicality though, i could easilly build an entire armory around the AR platform with a regular 223 upper for light work, a 6.5 Grendel or .30 AR upper for deer sized game and a .450 Bushmaster or . 50 Beowulf for gnarly stuff, along with a dedicated .22 LR upper from Spike, or an old 1/12 twist A1 upper for .22 practice.

Then for handguns, i would want a .22, and a defensive handgun of some sort (i prefer full size revolvers and 1911 format guns)
----- Doug
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

It might be interesting to think about this in terms of what a guy could actually carry around in a reasonable and useful sort of way... like for a long deep-woods hunt (or a bad times exercise of some sort)...

I'd say if I was carrying a full-sized rifle and a full sized pistol that'd probably be about max for me, on top of ammo and other kit... alternatively, a carbine instead of a full-sized rifle might lighten the load enough to allow the carry of an additional handgun...

So for me... in keeping with:

1) The original poster's question about minimum battery for what I actually do
2) My "walking battery" idea above
3) My actual battery (such as it exists these days after being sold off a year or so ago for cash and now being built back up again)

I'd boil this down to:

Rig #1: Mauser M48 8x57 (S&B 196gr SPCE @ 2590fps, barrel-mounted Mojo peep, stripper-clips, etc.) + S&W 686 .357 (BB 180gr LFN-GC @ 1400fps, speedloaders, etc.)

Rig #2: Marlin 1894CSS .357 (BB 158gr JHC @ 2125fps) + S&W 686 .357 (BB 180gr LFN-GC @ 1400fps, speedloaders, etc.) + S&W 617 .22LR (CCI 40gr GDHP Velocitors @ 1325fps, speedloaders, etc.)

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Talking absolute minimum, a .22 rifle. My Marlin 39A would be my choice.

Talking minimum for easily covering the most of my needs, I too agree with Doc.

.22 rifle, the above mentioned Marlin
.22 handgun, S&W model 17 or a Mark II Ruger
12ga shotgun, Model 870 Remington
Centerfire handgun, S&W Model 19 or Ruger Security-Six
Centerfire Rifle, this is the most difficult for me, I might choose a .357 carbine for commonality of ammo with the handgun. A 30-30 would also be fine for my expected needs. Or I might choose a larger 30cal of some kind.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Here in Iowa...

Ruger 10/22 with a 3-9 or 4x scope

12 ga pump with smoothbore slug barrel for deer and 22-28" vent rib with assortment of chokes for small game and predators.

.22-250 Savage

Now you'll notice I don't include any handguns in there even though I have em. I just don't get into em much anymore and prefer rifles. I don't CC and the 12 bore will take care of anything HD wise. You'll also note a lack of a lever gun. Iowa is, for the most part, a slug gun state. For my "minimum" requirements a centerfire rifle in a bore over .224 doesn't do me much good.

Now move over into survival mode and I'd take a scoped .22mag bolt or lever gun. Light ammo, fairly cheap, carry lots, decent range and more capable than a .22LR.

Obviously most, if not all, of us have surpassed this minimum. Thank the lord for that!

LK
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Boy are we all spoiled. So many choices, so little time. . . . . . .I have always thought the frontiersmen of 125+ years ago had it right. Minimum means two or three guns, several knives and a tomahawk or small axe of some type. Personally I have narrowed it down to what I think is requireed plus a couple of modern extras.

Ruger SBH 4 5/8". . . . 44mag/spec
Marlin 1894 Cowboy. . 44mag/spec
Ruger Single Six. . . . . 22lr
Browning BL-22. . . . . 22lr
and just because I would hate to be without it, one of my 30/30's. That's it, five guns, three calibers. If I wanted another it would be a double barreled shotgun and I could live without the .22 pistol, maybe. . . .
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

22LR rifle - Marlin 39
22LR pistol - Ruger Single Six
CF Rifle - Rem 700 30-06 or Marlin 336 30-30
CF Pistol - Springfield 1911A1 .45
Shotgun - Mossberg 500 12ga
Other - Parker Raptor compound bow w/2 dozen arrows
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Minimum battery?
Zero.

Borrow something from a relative when you want to go hunting. I'll bet many of you know someone like that.

:D

Bruce
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My grandfather was an advid hunter, but about all he hunted was deer, coyotes, small game, and upland game, maybe some ducks.

For many many years, he only owned two guns, and I recond he got by just fine. He owned an old Winchester model 100 semi-auto in .308 Win. and didn't even put a scope on it, until he was in his late 60's. And his other gun was an old 12 ga Browning A5 with a Cutts compensator choke on the end of the barrel, and he never even bothered with changing chokes, all he kept in it was a wide mouthed spreader choke, and he hunted everything with it.

He did own a TC Hawken 54 cal muzzleloader for muzzleloading deer season, for a few years, then he sold it to me. Then when it came muzzleloading season every year, he would ask me to borrow it back. Of course I couldn't say no. :wink:

He hunted everything he wanted to, with those.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

A minimum battery is a good thing (heretic!). Why complicate life, and why not spend time mastering what you need and have instead of accumulating more stuff?

For the East, one might have a .22 rifle, "deer" rifle (and bear, if so inclined), a general purpose shotgun, and suitable handgun. So, I'd say:

A good .22 bolt gun
A good .243 through 30-06 bolt gun
A Remington M870 12 ga
A .357 revolver (J-frame if lightness and concealed carry, any number of medium framed items for belt carry)

Throw in reloading supplies/tools for the rifle and handgun, and maybe the shotgun.

For the West, change the rifle choice to a good bolt gun from .25-06 or .270 through 30-06. I'd toss in a .223 if I were a prairie dog shooter. I'd likely change the revolver choice for belt carry to a revolver in something 40 cal and above.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

mY minimum battery would be a good rifle and good pisotol. These would comply,

S$W Mod 28 , 4" in .357 mag,

and

My Winchester 71 in .348 win.

8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Path - I like your stuff. :mrgreen:

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

OK! To be totally honest, my minimum is 2 gun safes with whatever guns tickle my fancy at the time. I have bolt guns, lever guns, EBRs, and shotguns of pump and semiauto pesuasions. I have more handguns than I need and not as many as I want. I have half of the second safe to fill and I am sure I will find something to fill it. This is a hobby. If I played golf I would probably buy a new set of clubs everytime a new design came out. If I had my way I would have 3 Marlin 1895 Cowboys. One I already have with a 26 in barrel. I would like another cut to 20" and a third cut to 16". I would like a Win Mod 70 Featherweight Deluxe in .338-06 to go with the same gun I already have in 270 Win. Why? Just because. A gun nut with a minimum battery is an oxymoron. I even lust after a bolt gun in 416 Ruger. I have no earthly need for such a gun, but then I wouldn't be a gun nut if I didn't want one anyway. I think I need a 12 step program. Naw, I'd fall off the wagon.
jimincfalls
Levergunner

Post by jimincfalls »

I'd go with all NATO spec calibers:

1. 5.56 semi auto (e.g., ar-15)
2. .308 bolt action rifle (e.g., remington 700)
3. 9mm handgun (e.g., Sig or Beretta)
4. 12 gauge shotgun (e.g., remington 870)

Optional (if you can't afford a lot of ammo):
5. good .22 pistol (e.g., ruger) for practice, small game.

not much that these arms can't handle. Ammo and reloading components are widely available.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

.22 lr winchester 61
12 gauge remington 31
30-30 winchester 94
300 H&H winchester model 70
22 lr ruger single six
.38 special S&W model 40
.357 S&W 66-3
.44 special S&W model 24