SoCal LvrGunr Fam Reunion, March 15-16th, UPDATED 3/17/08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

SoCal LvrGunr Fam Reunion, March 15-16th, UPDATED 3/17/08

Post by CowboyTutt »

It was a great event! Pics available here:

viewtopic.php?t=4887

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 13 times in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am in. My only restriction is Feb15-17 I am going camping with the Cub Scouts.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
model55
Levergunner 3.0

reunion

Post by model55 »

firm up the date and you may be on -have Vacation end of march and family near by if they aren't on their own Vacation.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Jeremy:

You leaving, again, man? On a float or back to the sandbox or Afghanistan?

scott
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

No I got stuck with recruiting orders I report to the school house end of April where I go after that is up in the air.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Flexible here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

JReed wrote:No I got stuck with recruiting orders I report to the school house end of April where I go after that is up in the air.
Is the school still down at MCRD? Back when I was around, I remember the curriculum being based on the XEROX sales training. I wonder if it's still the same.

scott
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep still at MCRD. I imagine the training hasnt changed a whole lot.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

This is great...it may finally happen!!

Well, I'm open on the place, as long as it's within aobut 2 to 3 hours of SD. I know nothing about the LA area ranges, but I can do a little poking around at South Bay Rod and Gun (my club, in Descanso) to see what potential there is for long range and possible range reservations. It's about 45 minutes east of San Diego just off 94, so it's not exactly convenient for the LA crowd.

Sobenk may have some info on the LA ranges - I'll PM him and give him a heads-up on this thread.

I have a baby due on the 24th of this month, so I'm no good for about six weeks after that (wifes orders), which puts me into mid-march or thereafter.

Let's do it!
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The last weekend of March (21st through 30th) is my Spring Break, where I'm going to AZ to start a weeks worth of camping and shooting with my best friend around the "four corners" area. But I could do it the weekend just before that, I guess. I'm guessing that would be mid-March. Would that work? I will have to load more ammo!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yeah I have to get some powder and primers maybe some boolets and do some reloading my self.
Mid March would work for me.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Saturday or Sunday March 15th or 16th? Does that work for most everyone?

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Works for me.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Ah yes, the Ides of March. Let's not invite Brutus :wink:

Sounds good to me. And if too many conflicts, we can look at the first or second weekend in April?

That was the easy part. Now we need a place. And also, one day or two?
Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The first weekend of April could work to I have over 35 days of leave on the books so I can do any number of days you all want. My inlaws live in Chino so I could drag my wifes step dad along also.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

there used to be a range around the fallbrook area ...

I think is was @ or called rainbow .. not sure if it's still
open or the ranges ... hmmmmmm

google search .. it's a pistol and shotgun range ..

South Bay is a 300yd range with a 100 yd and 50 yd smaller
range ...

Lemon grove rod and gun had a range in alpine .. 200yd rifle ..
not a good choice if it's still there ...

there is a range on the back side of Miramar .. run by the sheriff's
dept. it has a 1000yd ... a marine and guests might can use it ...

I googled and found ..

Pala - North County Shootist Assoc. Shooting Facility, Henderson Rd., Pala, CA 92059.
Phone: 760-727-9160
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (to 100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (to 900 yds), Rifle Silhouette
Range Access: Private

someone can call and see if lever gunners might get in .. it's
located off the 15 ... and about 1/2 way frome LA and san diego ...

just a few thoughts ..

Talon
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Sounds like a great idea, I'm in.

Last time we batted this around I talked to one of our LASC officers and he said it would be fine to use the silhouette range for a day. This is a 200 meter range, but the targets are all there, plus a kitchen, barbecue, clubhouse, tables, chairs, bathroom, etc. Also camping is ok if people are coming a long way.

There would be a range fee, subsidized, of a little under $7.00.

The facility is in the Angeles National Forest, near the San Fernando Valley, Sunland, Burbank. Pretty close to the 5 and another freeway, the 210 or 218 or something. So it is a little far north for you San Diego guys, but it is a nice place, and we wouldn't be rubbing shoulders with the general public. One or two club members might stop by but that is pretty rare.

I'd have to double check closer to the time but it should be ok, they like for the range to be used on non-match days rather than just going empty.

Let me know if this is of interest or if another range is going to work out better.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Oh, Cowboy Tutt, we may be talking about the same range complex, our silhouette area is off to the side, but they have a public rifle side that goes out to 900 yards! You can't put out targets though, patrons would go crazy waiting for someone to walk that far and back during a cease fire. Paper targets are limited to 200 yards. They have an assortment of swingers out there. The targets are pretty small, game sized animal shapes, so it's really something for scoped rifle shooters. There are no bison-sized targets.

I would bet the fee would include shooting at either range if I asked, maybe a higher fee for the ability to shoot at either place. The standard range fee there is $14.00 per day.

I am normally content with knocking down rams at 200 meters offhand. That way I don't have to look at any camo.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sobenk, that sounds like the place, but I will have to check with Professor Loudenboomer. The fact you can camp there would be a plus for me.

I have to admit April would work better for me as well.

I'll do some research tonight when I get home.

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

That sounds like a decent place. Mainly for location. It's still only about 2-1/2 hours drive for me, and I'm probably about the farthest. Then the desert folk don't have to drive so far, and maybe a few NorCal folks or Phoenix folks will make the 6-hour drive.

Well, I guess we'd better sound off and see who's coming. So far the following have at least expressed interest:
Cowboytut
71fan
JReed
Sobenk
95fan
Old Savage
model 55
H_talon
bsaride

Hopefully we can double or triple this list.
Last edited by 71fan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am in.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have a question about bringing guns into CA.

What are the laws regarding this? If I were to be in the South West at that time I might want to come over and see some of you guys. But I sure don't want to run cross wise of the laws there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

71fan,

Put me on the list too!

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

J Miller wrote:I have a question about bringing guns into CA.

What are the laws regarding this? If I were to be in the South West at that time I might want to come over and see some of you guys. But I sure don't want to run cross wise of the laws there.

Joe
From the Cal DOJ Firearms Division:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

Traveling with Firearms in California
HANDGUNS
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

bsaride wrote:71fan,

Put me on the list too!

Jay
Done
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Here is a link to the range complex (ASR) itself:

http://www.angelesranges.com/

There's a map on how to get there.

Here's a link for the silhouette club (LASC) which is at the end of the complex:

http://www.lasc.us/

(most of the info here is about silhouette shooting in general)

I'll try to get some pics of the place at Saturday's match.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I'm interested but I don't know that I can plan my weekends that far in advance. I'll keep tabs on how this progresses though. I'd sure like to attend.
Well done is better than well said.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sobenk
Looks like a great place I will have to bring my front stuffers and CB pistols :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

This is shaping up real well. I'm hoping the location wil draw some other Northerner's like myself (I'm 4 1/2 hours away, but have friends and family down there). Mike D. emailed me to say he will be in the middle of his chemo treatments and won't be able to make it. Bummer. Lets keep him in our prayers.

Poogyr, what about you?

The first weekend in April is the 5th and 6th. How about that Saturday from 11am to whatever? If you can camp there, I very well might do that myself.

-Tutt
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If you guys end up moving it out to the weekend of 03/29 - 3/30, I might be able to make it. I will be in Vegas the few days before for a trade show. Could head west before heading back east - only problem is I won't have a gun with me, so I guess I'll guess chew the fat with you all if it works out.

Don't plan or change anything for me - too hard to commit to anything this far out with my schedule!!!

Good luck guys! :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ysable, sorry to say that that particular time is part of Spring Break for me and another fella and we already have big plans, so it won't work.

What needs to happen here, is there needs to be TWO Levergun's Family Reunions and Shoot Holidays. One out here in the West and one much closer to you in S. Carolina. There are many more Leverguns members out your way, if I remember correctly. The Shootist's meet in New Mexico every year, if I'm not mistaken. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. So, someone needs to arrange it somewhere there out east.

Ysable, your a dedicated poster. Why not YOU pick a state with a great range, and get it going? You're totally capable.

If its in the summer, and west of Missouri, I may even attend myself! It helps a lot if its close to a city South West Airlines flies into as the rates are much cheaper.

Just food for thought my friend. But I would love to see you take this on.

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I looked for a calendar on theire website and didn't see one. Has anyone checked the proposed date(s) to assure there are no matches or other conflicts?

Also, I wonder if we can set up our own steel on the 900 yd range early in the morning before opening, so we can have some bigger targets. Of course the next question is: does anyone have any steel or access to it?
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, about conflicts, there should be no problem using the public range on a weekend, except that the general public is there. I'll ask about setting out targets beyond what they have - maybe a plywood bison? If you're that motivated. The deal with targets is you can't walk out there and delay the proceedings.

The LASC range has events on the first, second, and third weekends. So something on the fourth weekend would be ideal. The main match is the second weekend, and it goes all day. The other events are over about 1 pm, so it is open shoot after that.

It would not be a problem to attend the regular match and shoot the official targets, attendance is usually light. But there's a charge for each round, instead of the daily rate. The 3rd Sunday is the Cowboy Lever Action match, from 10 AM to 1 PM, it's $10 for three matches plus we could stay on for open shoot. That would work out nicely. If we do the fourth weekend, there are no events and we should be able to get the guest rate for the day, and choose either Saturday or Sunday (or both I guess).

I'll try to find out more but to avoid conflicts can we figure on the fourth weekend of the month, or the third Sunday?

By the way it gets windy up there.
Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

I am about 2 hours out of LASC, I can't promise anything as of now. But I will keep an eye on the thread and try to put a plan together for attending.
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)
Retired CA LEO / NRA Lifer

" Where my friend Roscoe is not welcome ..., neither am I ... "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

OK guys, I reviewed the entire thread for everyone's restrictions, and looked at a calender for all the 3rd Sunday's or 4th weekends. These are the choices I came up with:

Feb. 23rd-24th (4th weekend)
March 16th (3rd Sunday)
April 13th (3rd Sunday)

The Feb. weekend might be good if we can still get it, but it could be cooler temps up there, or even rainy maybe. But if that happened, we could reschedule for one of the other dates. We would have to book it with the range very soon, I suspect.

The other dates are obviously Sunday only. They still could work.

What do you guys think? :?:

-Tutt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

there's potential for rain and wind any of those times, but it's likely to be nice as well. Today it's in the 70's and clear and sunny.

Remember that the 3rd Saturday event is over at 1 pm so people could arrive Saturday sometime and camp or hang out. Then do the Cowboy Match on Sunday.

I am going to the match tomorrow and will check with the powers that be.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

sobenk wrote:Here is a link to the range complex (ASR) itself:
http://www.angelesranges.com/
There's a map on how to get there.
Is this where we're talking about? I used to shoot at the Angeles Range in the '80s. Good place, and out in the country. They had a steel target on the handgun range too.

I want to go but just won't know if I can break away until later....
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:Ysable, sorry to say that that particular time is part of Spring Break for me and another fella and we already have big plans, so it won't work.

What needs to happen here, is there needs to be TWO Levergun's Family Reunions and Shoot Holidays. One out here in the West and one much closer to you in S. Carolina. There are many more Leverguns members out your way, if I remember correctly. The Shootist's meet in New Mexico every year, if I'm not mistaken. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. So, someone needs to arrange it somewhere there out east.

Ysable, your a dedicated poster. Why not YOU pick a state with a great range, and get it going? You're totally capable.

If its in the summer, and west of Missouri, I may even attend myself! It helps a lot if its close to a city South West Airlines flies into as the rates are much cheaper.

Just food for thought my friend. But I would love to see you take this on.

-Tutt
Tutt -

I may look into this early summer for a fall get together. Problem I have the first half of the year is work. The first half is always very busy, and in a word, it "s**cks! For some reason my employer thinks I don't actually need sleep. Probably something you guys think as well, because most of my posts are between 11:00pm and 12:00am ('cept this one! :wink: )

Good idea - thank you for the vote of confidence. Fall would be nice in the southeast as well!!! :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, I spoke to the LASC Club president, and he will be checking into this. As of January, there will also be an event on the fourth Saturday, so we should consider Sundays only.

Also, the pres was thinking all should pay the day rate at the public range, because then all would be covered under their insurance. Not sure if the cowboy match director would want an additional $10 for his match, but if so, those who don't want to attend that could shoot at the public range in the morning and come over to the club after 1:00. Anyway, I'll be in touch with the club president and keep you posted here.

It would help to set a date, and it should be a Sunday. Those who want to camp over could come Saturday afternoon. They start locking gates about 6pm.

So let's set a date, on a Sunday, and see what the club president can do. Please post your best dates, and I'll forward that on to him. If we start with that, he will see if there are conflicts/complications.

I vote we try for February 23, and see how that works for you all. Please post.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

February is not possible for me because of my newborn. I'm no good until mid March.

Did I miss something? What happened to March 15/16? I thought we already had a date.

OTOH, if February works for everyone else, by all means go for it. I'm sure there will be another one and it's probably impossible to find a weekend that will suit everyone.
Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am with 71 I think more of us could go if we do it in March. That way we all have enough lead time to get all our lose ends tied up.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

71 Fan, its my fault. :oops: I was reviewing all the posts for date restrictions, , and somehow missed yours. I vote for either Sunday March 16th or Sunday April 13th! What about you guys? :?:

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I'm good with both dates. April may even be better for me, but either will work.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would prefer April myself as well, but I will attend in March if that is what we decide. Hoping some of the other fella's can chime in here soon!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sorry to throw the wrench Tutt but March would be great.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No problem at all, JR. I was thinking of you when I posted, and I know the April date was close to your deadline. Guys, can we shoot for March now? Can we make that work with the range?

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Still flexible here. 8)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

March 16th it is then.
Sobenk any word from the range staff?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, I'll throw that date at them and see what they think.

The cowboy leveraction match will be going on in the morning, so I'll contact that match director, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to have the extra attendance.

How set are you guys on using the 600 yard range? It would be simpler if everyone uses the club range.

How should we handle the food? Pot luck or what?

What's the head count right now?

7, or 5, or more?
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I didn't see this thread. I haven't been paying much attention to the sticky's since they have been multiplying.

I can probably make the shoot. My wife will probably come too. Any other women going to attend?