40 Caliber Volcanic Rifle,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 40 Caliber Volcanic Rifle,

Post by arjunky »

Anything new Charlie?
Your follower's are in need of a fix. :D

Byron
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

arjunky wrote:Anything new Charlie?

Byron
I have been somewhat discoraged about posting, as this thread got buried as far as 7 or 8 pages back, actually I thought it was dead.

Sence you took the trouble to bump it back, I will show you some pretty stuff.

Watch for it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Charlie, you have quite a fan club here but we don't want to pester you to death. :wink:

Fascinating project you have there please keep us informed. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How in the heavens of bettsy did I miss this :roll:

Go Charlie, boy do we have some skilled folk on here!!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Please, please, PLEASE take lots of photos along the way. This is going to be a fascinating project to watch!!! 8)
+1
It is not the critic who counts
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Charlie, Please do continue. This is a very fast moving site and things get buried fast. Please don`t feel that we don`t care because we DO!! Just bump your thread up or start a new one and continue.

I want to copy all of it but don`t want to make several copies of the same thing so I have been waiting.

GO CHARLIE GO !!! :D :D :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

OOPS :oops: Double post
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Charlie wrote:
arjunky wrote:Anything new Charlie?

Byron
I have been somewhat discoraged about posting, as this thread got buried as far as 7 or 8 pages back, actually I thought it was dead.

Sence you took the trouble to bump it back, I will show you some pretty stuff.

Watch for it.
Thanks Charlie, we will be waiting.
Appreciate all your efforts.

Byron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Charlie,

I made it a sticky but I can also republish as a blog article if you'd like.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Hobie,
Thank you man.
You will see something unique and beautiful happen here, I promise you.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here are all the parts that make up the Barrel Assembly. It is Finished, I have milled the Slot and made all the required Parts.

Here is the Magazine Block, it has the same outside conture as the Barrel, it has a (left hand thread) inside to match the (left hand thread) on that Barrel extension. It is held on the barrel extension by this thread. The reason for the LH thread is so that when it is rotated "Clockwise" it backs away from the Barrel instead of camming into it. When it is rotated enough to clear the Magazine, it is stopped by that Pin with Set Screw that comes in from the bottom at the front. This pin goes in a slot cut underneith the barrel. This Magazine Block also carries the front Sight, which was soldered in to a slot milled in the top.

The tube underneith the Octogon carries a Sleave that is continually being pushed back into the Magazine by a heavy spring at the front. This Tube fits into a shallow recess at the very front of the Magazine, locking the Magazine block in it's appropriate position. This Sleave is made from O-1 Tool Steel and hardened. The Magazine Spring was wound from Ø.026 Spring Wire. I wound this Spring to fit this perticular Rifle. If you are thinking that I could have purchased a spring, this might not be as easy as it might first appear because; you see, this Spring has to be collapsed intirely in the Magazine Block, yet be able to expand enouth to push a Cartridge into the action at the other end of this 25" Barrel.

Here is the Cartridge Pusher, it is made from a solid piece of Aluminum Bronze.

Sense I took this picture, I have made a much prettier one that I will show you soon, with a little detail on what I did to make it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You know, I really hate people as talented as you... :oops: :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

These are my Toggle Links and Pins. The links are cut from O-1 Tool Steel and hardened.

Here is a Toggle Bolt Assembly useing those Links.
This is a much stronger design than Smith + Wesson used and the Steel is much better also.

That is an Enertia Fireing Pin like Mr Browning used in the M11, 45 ACP, so the gun can be carried with a cartridge in the chamber and the Hammer down.

The next thing we will tackle is the receiver, I will make this one out of European, Aircraft Aluminum. This stuff is strong, about 78K Tensile Strength, - good stuff. The American equivelent would be 7075. I am useing Aluminum and leaving it's natural color as this mimics the Silver Plated Bronze frames used in the originals. The Silver plated Frames with the Blued Barrels were beautiful guns.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

The most difficult thing about making this Frame is that square hole up front where the Cartridge Elevator rides.
Here I am drilling out the bulk of the metal in preperation to broach this hole manually. I will use the quill of my Bridgeport, useing a Broach that I ground especially for this job.

Here I am useing the Broach mentioned above.

Look at that beautiful hole, not bad for an Old Farm Boy, just trying to build a Rifle.
Last edited by Charlie on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Charlie,

Is that a square piece of hss that you use as a broach by pulling down on the bridgeport handle?

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

soon 2 retire wrote:Charlie,

Is that a square piece of hss that you use as a broach by pulling down on the bridgeport handle?

Bob in NE Indiana
Yes. Just wait I will show ye how I ground it. I need some time to locate the pictures.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

OK, This is a right angle grinding disk. I made the arbor for it on my lathe. Here I am useing my Milling Machine to do the grinding.

This is what my Broaching Tool looks like. That long rod sticking out the side is to aid in ligning it up square and parallel with the table.
I made the shank of the tool to fit the largest collet I had for stiffness.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Charlie,

That broach is real clever. I've seen keyways broached on a lathe by chucking the workpiece and feeding in a similar cutter (except ground for 1 cutting edge) with the carriage feed wheel. I never thought of doing a similar operation on a bridgeport though.

Bob in NE Indiana
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Can't say how much I'm enjoying this thread!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) !
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW!! Just gets better and better!

I am getting some ideas. :D
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Cliff wrote:I suppose if you wanted to stick with a rimfire, you could build it in a 41 remington rim fire used in the old derringers. Still plenty low powered. I will be quiet now. Good Luck.
Bear or a round to find anymore, even the Navy Arms batch they made 20ish years ago is going for radical prices...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You do excellent work, Charlie.
Old Law Dawg
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I'm looking forward to the next installment. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Looks Great!!!!
Wish I had the time and equipment for projects like this.

Byron
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

WOW! That is so cool!

Thanks for sharing!
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Thanks Guys, glad you enjoy this.

Here is the Trigger, it is cut from 1/4" O-1 Tool Steel. I used my little CNC Milling Machine to cut this baby out.

Heres the Hammer cut from 3/8" Tk. ~ O-1 Tool Steel and hardened. That big hole in the middle of it does 2 things for me,
the first is to make it easy to hold down on a fixture while cutting it out, the second is, it lightens it for quicker lock time and more stricking energy
(it's a physics thing)

The Hammer Spring is also cut from O-1 and bent to shape before hardening. Springs should be hardened above 42 Rc.

Heres the Lever cut from 3/8" O-1. I need to conture the outside and Heat Treat it.
Last edited by Charlie on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Remember That block of Aluminum that we broached that hole in? Well, here it is shown from the Bottom Side.

Here is the Stock tangs showing the Hammer Spring installed. This Spring is adjustable for tension from the outside. This is a hold over fron the Volcanic Pistol which had a Lever manulipated by a single finger, the idea was to have the Spring adjusted just hard enough to bust the Primmer, and still be light enough to operate with a single Finger.

Here is a view of the Frame from the top. You can see the front of the bolt, which is still needing an extractor.

Here is a side view of the Frame showing the Bolt, Toggle Links, Trigger and Hammer with it's Spring installed.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Jeez Charlie!! 8) 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Charlie,

Lord help us if you ever get a wire EDM machine.

Bob in NE Indiana (Temporarily from San Juan Island, Wa.)
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BTT so's I can find it quick... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW !! Sooooo COOL ! :D
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Beautiful work as always Charlie...But the pictures look better here than over at the Home Gunsmith forums.. Excellent pictures..I love the old guns ..Sure is slick how you have the magazine soldered to the barrel , reminds me of fancy built up wood trim molding in an expensive home.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Well hello Old Friend,

About these pictures, I have to load em in "Photobucket" and downsize em before posting here.

I kind of like this place - you know about the other drama.

I hope you will show these Guys what you can do sometime, they are in for a treat.

Merry Christmas to ye.
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

All hail Charlie!

We are unworthy... We are unworthy...
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Charlie
I found this place by mistake. But every rifle I have built has been lever action so its not a bad fit...But I am on the hunt for a forum having the greatest numbers of highest skilled builders such as yourself.....Uhmmmmm most of the guys here dont really know just how good you are Charlie.- compared to other homeworkshop gun builders I mean..So far you and CStol are the only two guys active on any forums that I have found that inspire me to do my best work..Would be super to find a group with 8 or 10 exceptional craftsmen who are working and sharing their adventures with the group....Holler at me if you find or know of such a group..
Presently I am building a Winchester low wall in 1/2 scale. My eventual intent is to meet and greet with miniatures firearms builders because I have seen pictures of their work and there are some awesome exceptional miniatures builders out there ..I'd like to build a few miniatures and go to some of the gun shows that exhibit such things. I would like to exhibit side by side with some of the best builders, should motivate me to do my own personal best.I am getting better at it but improvement comes slow and I lack some motivation..........

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Thank you AW, you yourself are a tuff, talented no BS kind of man. I enjoy watching you build the things you do, and am honored you find my stuff worth looking at, and get inspiration from. When you get the fit and finish on those miniatures correct, you will be able to build full size stuff equal to anyone in the world.

There is another Guy out there named "David Bailey", he does incredible work. He is an engraver, pretty good at that. He has a Wire EDM, also a Sinker EDM, and he builds from scratch, his own designs, and then there is "CStol". "Healthydee" also goes for it. I am sure there are others but we just have not meet them yet.

I think it would be wonderful if we could all get together in one place. We would challenge and inspire each other to build some of the finest guns the world has ever seen.

Most of these Guys here just enjoy hunting and shooting what is available, and don't venture very far into our world. If it were not for "Hobie" who made this thread a stickie, it would be buried so deep, no one would ever see it.

Yet, there are a few of these Men that do enjoy seeing what an average man with above average passion can do. I am hoping that what I do here will inspire some of them to build something themselves, then it will all be worth my effort.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
My Friend.

Charlie
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Charlie, A big Thanks for this post and Great pictures of Your Work. Merry Christmas from Ohio.
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

This is such an awesome thread. Can it be made a "sticky" thus always on top? PLEASE? :mrgreen:
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Charlie,

While most here just hunt and shoot many have been professional metal workers of one kind or another and they "get it". I myself was a machinist apprentice until I accepted that I could make more money back in the service (at that time). I really appreciate the work you're sharing with us.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

game keeper,
Ben Rumson,
Buck Elliot,
ysabel kid,
Jreed,
Kansas Ed,
Cliff,
Bis,
Kimwcook,
Chuck 100 yd,
Dsmith512,
Griff,
Pokey,
Soon to retire,
Tedh,
JohndeFresno,
Alan Wood,
Arjunky,
Nath,
Paladin,
Old Ironsights,
David,
AmBraCol,
Rifleman,
Alphawolf,
gglass,
45 colt,
Halfbreed,
Hobie,

Each and every one of you, I say,
Thank You. And many of you, 2 - 3 or more times.
You are the only reason I am here. You are the reason I keep posting. The appreciation you have shown me obligates me to give you my best.
Keep visiting this thread, I will not dissapoint you.

I am hoping you had a Merry Christmas, and may next year be the best year of your life.

Charlie
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Remember that Cartridge Pusher I told you I had built again but prettier? Here it is.

I bored a piece of Aluminum Bronze on the Lathe, then turned both ends leaving a flange where the Thumb Tab wants to be. I then took it to the Mill and brought to the condition shown. I used a 3/4" end mill to make the concave face and used a 1/8" end mill to notch each side leaving the neck for the Tab. The rest of it was done manually with a file.

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here is the Trigger Spring. I cut this baby out of a "Band Saw Blade" useing Tin Snips. The hole was drilled with a Carbide Drill.

Here are some Lever Springs. These were milled out of O-1 Tool Steel. I hardened them with a Torch by heating them up to a straw color (which is a dirty yellow) then quinching them in oil. I then went back and heated the base end (threaded hole) to a dull red, and let air cool. That threaded hole is #6-48.

Remember that Trigger? Here it is, fresh off the milling machine. See how I held it while cutting it out.

Last edited by Charlie on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here she is starting to look like a Rifle. I have already shot it as it is.

I could not check for accuracy because the Rear sight is not yet made.

I cronygraphed a 140 grain Bullet in front of 3.5 grains of "Power Pistol" at around 920 FPS, - - I like it.

Now, she is not yet able to load herself, or extract the fired case, so I will be working on that next.

When I get er where she can Shuffle, Shoot, and Shuck, I will then start on the Butt Stock.

I will not conture the Action or Lever untill I get the Butt Stock made and installed.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Very impressive. I wish I had such tallents.
when your enemy is within range so are you
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Charlie,

The fine Italian shotgun makers have the latest sophisticated CNC equipment but they also to a lot of final hand fitting. How much work with file and stone do you have to do?

Bob in NE Indiana (Temporarily from San Juan Island, Wa.)
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Charlie
I did not know O-1 would make a good spring...For large flat gun springs I mill from a piece of annealed boat trailer leaf spring.. ..Your lever springs look very stout..Does it take two of them to keep the lever in the breech closed position? Or you made an extra one while you were at it? Maybe they arent as big as they look in the picture.
And did you mill the trigger with your manual mill or the cnc?..You done it slick, real nice.......I never heard you mention use of your cnc over at thuther group.. The way some guys disparage the use of cncs takes some of my fun outta showing my gun projects using my cnc mill.. I like using cnc for some of the work.. I used my cnc mill today.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Charlie
I did not know O-1 would make a good spring...For large flat gun springs I mill from a piece of annealed boat trailer leaf spring.. ..Your lever springs look very stout..Does it take two of them to keep the lever in the breech closed position? Or you made an extra one while you were at it? Maybe they arent as big as they look in the picture.
And did you mill the trigger with your manual mill or the cnc?..You done it slick, real nice.......I never heard you mention use of your cnc over at thuther group.. The way some guys disparage the use of cncs takes some of my fun outta showing my gun projects using my cnc mill.. I like using cnc for some of the work.. I used my cnc mill today.
A typical steel for Flat Springs is AISI 1075, this is a cheep, high carbon steel. O-1 is an expensive high allow, and typically not used for the lowly spring. The modulas of elasticity is about 30 million for both steels, so, yes, O-1 makes a good, though expensive spring.

You are right, those springs are stout, I may thin them up a bit. It only takes one of them to keep that Lever tightly closed.

Go back to the other group and notice the Rifle and Pistol (which uses the same spring) are "Navy Brass Frames", this one is "Aluminum". That's the reson for more than one spring. So I am building three of these Volcanics at the same time.

I did cut that trigger out on my little home built "CNC Mill", I can do it on a manual mill with a rotary table but it would take a full day to make just one. If I use my CNC, I can make 6 or 8 of um in the same time, and they will all be just alike.

Actually I did mention useing that CNC on that "Boot Pistol Thread", and one of the members - - - - well.

I am not trying to impress anyone with my Machining abilities, but every thing I do, I can do on a manual machine. That CNC (which I built useing manual machines) makes repeat work much easier and faster. I will probably use that little CNC for about 30% of this build. Those Toggle Links were all manual work.

Soon to retire,
That Lever will not go back to a machine. From here on out, it will be contured with a file and emery cloth. The Frame will go back in the Mill and get recesses cut for the Side Plates. After Side Plates are fitted, it will go back to get large, 45º Chamfers cut down both sides at the top. from there, everything else will be done manually.
Last edited by Charlie on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Nice work. Hearing of O1 being used for springs is rather a suprise to me as well. By the way were is the other forum you mention?
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I'm in the Aerospace business, Quality Assurance with machining as a specialty.

This is some extremely nice work!
texasguy
Levergunner

Post by texasguy »

Will that be one of a kind, or a custom line for sale?