40 Caliber Volcanic Rifle,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 40 Caliber Volcanic Rifle,

Post by Charlie »

And the Wood is fitted to the Metal, and the Metal is fitted to the Wood.

Now, we need to make em round and purty.

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Man you are making quick progress on thie project! And it looks very good indeed!
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Its already purty :D
when your enemy is within range so are you
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

The Receiver is finished with the exception of a Dove Tail for the rear sight.

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here is that square and blocky Lever after 5.5 hours of filing and polishing.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sweet!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

I am just blown away at this project... WOW! Any engraving planned for the receiver?
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Thank you Ben.

Halfbreed, I am not really a fan of engraving, but for this baby, I will commission "Rick Simmons" To do something akin to the original factory stuff these guns had.

Ricks has incredable skills, equal to anyone alive today, and he is afforadable :)

Here is the Hammer and Lever Screws. These were made from O-1 Tool Steel and quenched in Oil. I then polished them and Fire Blued em. I let the Fire Blue process remove the brittleness, sort of like killing two Rocks with one Bird.

These are Custom #10-32's.

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

I made it round and purty.

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Remember I said the "Henry" was an enlarged "Volcanic"?

See what I mean.

Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

WOW. That is impressive.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks for sharing this build with us. It is indeed a lovely rifle. Is the barrel/magtube going to be blued? If I'm looking carefully, you've still not fitted the rear sight. I look forward to seeing what you do there. This has been fun. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Round and Pretty indeed. Very well done Charlie! Thank you for sharing.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Charlie, that's just off the chart impressive.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Beautiful rifle, thanks for letting me watch.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Charlie, I'm impressed with the hand work that goes into the final fit and shaping. Sort of like in wooden boat building where material is removed to "make it fair". I was looking at the Italian shotgun manufacturer - Fausti Stephano's website and there was a picture entitled "gunmaker's tools". The only tools shown in the photo were files. Not many stop to think about the importance of hand tools in the manufacture of firearms. Keep it coming.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

It's a Sight.

Sight Installed.

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Now that's a site to behold. Is that sight the original style? At the time I would have thought that an adjusting screw like that would have been a rather expensive bit of hand fitting.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

NOW I understand why the dovetail was so far forward on the receiver. :) Looks sweet.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Alan Wood wrote:Now that's a site to behold. Is that sight the original style? At the time I would have thought that an adjusting screw like that would have been a rather expensive bit of hand fitting.
Yeah, that is the way they did it. After doing it, it was learned that this kind of sight (notch) did not work very well this close to the eye. It was then moved to the Barrel.

A peep sight would have been just the ticket here.

Thank you AmBraCol.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

That's just an unbelievable display of skill! Any estimates on how much time and money you have wrapped up in that project?
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I was going to ask the same question, how much time do you have invested. For me it would be measured in years .
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

You are right Biz. I started trying to figure out how to do a modern Volcanic seven or eight years ago. I have gone through 5 or 6 different designs for the mechanism, spent nearly a year learning and making a 40 caliber barrel, I mean doing the rifleing and all. I still can not do a long barrel (over 8") so I had to use a blank here. Sence I am not doing this for profit, I don't worry about time at all. Those 2 screws ( Hammer and Lever) cost me about 4 hours, design machining, and heat treating. And that's just 2 silly little screws that you think I would purchasse at a hardware store for less than 2 bucks! So here I have 4 hours invested in 2 screws, at 65 or 75 dollars an hour (standard machine shop time) dem babys are expensive! Take a drawing of these 2 screws to a Job Shop, you already have the design, all the man has to do is purchase the material and machine them out, then heat treat em. Tell him you don't want any favors, tell him to charge his standard rate, see what he says!

You godda love it Man, if you don't, you will never invest this time and effort.

How much time? It's a life style man.

Now I am a pretty good machinist, and I can compete with professional machinist in the time it takes to make a part, but then I am the one who designed that part. How long was I thinking about what that part would look like, and how would I make it?

It would take appreciable time to go back and estimate the time, and materials and design for each part. I would much rather take this time required to estimate, and make some more parts.

So what would I charge to make this gun for some one else?

At this time, I would not take such a comission.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The whole thing is simply marvelous Charlie..Really a vision..

How were the tangs were done?.. :wink:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Ben_Rumson wrote:The whole thing is simply marvelous Charlie..Really a vision..

How were the tangs were done?.. :wink:
Let me get a picture, I have done this 2 different ways.

All will be explained.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Charlie,
When I am able to have computer time I come here first. Since I just now found this article I was lucky enough to be able to read it clear through.WHAT A TREAT THIS HAS BEEN............THANK YOU SIR !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looking good Charlie!

You may have answered this already but I missed it if so: I was wondering, while looking at that lovely receiver in the white, how you're going to finish it? Any chance you'll have it color case hardened? What did you have in mind?

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Winnetou
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winnetou »

The receiver is aluminium. But that brings up other possibilities, such as colour anodising, which also makes the surface harder. If this receiver were anodised dark blue, I suspect it would look like nitre/fire blue on steel. On the other hand, if anodised in brass colour, it would look like an original Volcanic.

I must say that this was an extraordinarily impressive thread and project. What a beautiful rifle! :!: If this version were on the market, I would purchase one immediately.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Thank you Winnetou.

I plan to leave the Receiver it's natural color to mimic the Silver Plated Brass ones that were offered for an additional $5.00 !

I would have Hard anodized it except the side plates would no longer fit. The anodizing adds dimension to the parts, and they were very close to began with.
I could have made them smaller, and the Anodizing bring them to size, but that is a guessing game.

I'm with you man, that Volcanic is a beautiful rifle.

I know it's a lot of trouble making custom Cartridges for this baby but I'm delighted with the way it shoots. That big 40 caliber Bullet comes out of that barrel at a little over 900 FPS giveng me about 280 foots pounds of energy. The recoil is very mild, and so is the noise. I don't feel the need for hear protection. I have shot it several times inside my closed garage!

I have the gun dissasembled at this time, Rust Blueing the Barrel and other hardware. I will post pictures of the finished rifle in about a week. Then I,m gonna taker to a 50 yard range and sight her in.

Allagorically speaking, she was a teen age Lever Gun, nothing else ever equaled her in fresh preportions, grace, and class. :D
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Your rifle project is truely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are truely gifted.
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

44magHunter wrote:Your rifle project is truely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are truely gifted.

Wow oh wow.. What does it weight?
What a woods gun.
Did I say wow yet well wow :o
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Thank You MagHunter.

gregg, she weighs about 5 pounds and 4 ounces, but she will hold 21 Cartridges, and that will add appreciable to the carying weight.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

She's finished.

Hey Guys, I hope you have enjoyed seeing how Charlie does it.
I hope you have developed a higher regard for the very first Lever Gun, the "Volcanic" (as we visulize a lever gun to be)
I hope some of you have been inspired to build your own Lever Gun.
For those of you that have taken the time to extend a compliment to me, receive my sincerest thank you.
You are appreciated more than you relize. Your encouragement motivated me to continue posting here, and there may be others that got someting out of this and choose not to say anything.

I also want to extend a big "THANK YOU" to Hobie for making this a sticky.

Any questions, I would be pleased to answer, (if I know)

We may do it again some day,
have fun my Friends.

Charlie

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Let me be the first to say Congrats !! Looks great... thanks again.
WIL TERRY
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Let me be the first to say Congrats !! Looks great... thanks again.
Ben
Ya right let me be first!!!IF i HAD NOT SPIT WATER IN MY KEY BOARD THAT I had to dry out you would not been first!!!

That there a lie :oops:
But she is a looker .
:D :D :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Sweet! Thanks for sharing the process with us, from blueprint to bluing. :) Now, what's next? Doc Hudson votes for a matched pair of Merwin & Hulbert resolvers. You mentioned something about a '92 Winchester. Inquiring minds want to know. :?: :?: :mrgreen:
Paul - in Pereira

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Looks even better now that it's done. Cogratulations! And thank you for sharing.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Looks great, a beatiful weapon. Now go out and enjoy the fruits of your labor and let us know how it shoots.
Old Skirmisher
Levergunner

Post by Old Skirmisher »

Charlie, It's amazing what a good man can do with his own hands. The beauty of your rifle helps me to appreciate the looks of my Uberti Henry.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

awesome!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

I was looking at a posting on Family Friends Firearms site about a 1891 S&W .22 cal target pistol and thinking how great it would be to have the skills needed to build one of those.

Then I ran across these levergun postings and I’m stunned at the abilities of you machinists to work in a no mistakes allowed environment.

You gentlemen deserve all the accolades and respect offered for your work.

Congratulations.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That was a fantastic trip, Charlie. Beautiful piece that you can honestly be proud of. Thank you.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Again, WOW! To you it may seem like a project... time and materials... but to me... it's like magic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As agreed to by Charlie I have consolidated his posts into one article on my blog. It does take some time to load and I do have a bit of tweaking to do.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Wow Charlie I like how you made that buttplate..Matching the profile of top of the receiver, very sharp.....Gonna make a video now?..
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks great!

I'd really like to see it shooting in action so I'll second the request for a video.

Thanks for posting!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Yes, I'm gonna make a video. I will post it when I get em.

I love the way this Lady shoots, very little noise, (less than a 22 Long Rifle) a heavy thump when the Slug hits the target, just a tiny bit of kick, I love it.

I have not had a chance to get her on sand bags and see what kind of group I can get at 50 yards yet, when I do I will post the results.

When I shoot her, I will let a standard 45 ACP go in front so you can hear the difference.

I plan to attend a "Cowboy Action Meet", the first Saturday of March.

I think these Folks will love this little Rifle because it's so small, and quiet, yet, big enough to be respected.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Tonight was the first time I clicked on this thread. Sat here and read it end to end.

Man! What a work of art!

The words fantastic, amazing and gorgeous are overused today, but in this case are simply adequate.

Charlie, thanks for sharing that with us.

Incredible.

- Tristan
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Gorgeous Rifle. Read your story from start to finish for the first time tonight. Amazing talent, thanks for sharing.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Today is the first time I found this thread. I read it beginning to end non stop. I am just speechless at this man's ability to create such a beautiful and functional rifle. He is a true old fashioned craftsman that seems to be a dying breed in America. I really enjoyed reading the entire thread and hope he builds many more projects.