Taking the 35 Rem. plunge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Taking the 35 Rem. plunge

Post by Charles »

I think I am hooked. I have always like the Marlin 336A rifles. They are less handy than the carbine, but they feel like real rifles. I also have never had a 35 Remington, so I am about to take the plunge. Here is a picture.. the price is $350.00. What is the opinion of the congnisenti gathered here.

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Re: Taking the 35 Rem. plunge

Post by Bogie35 »

Nice butt! :wink:

Congratulations! If it looks as good on the inside as it does on the outside, then you've got a good deal.
I'm hooked on my 35 Rem. Mine loves the 200 grain Remington CoreLokt factory load.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I like the buttstock. Back in the early 1960's I broke the stock on my 336SC .35 Rem. carbine. I sent for a replacement stock from Marlin and That's what I got. A note was included with the stock saying that I could pare it down to original specs. I left it just the way it was. I believe that it was mfg. by Bishop.

Roundup
Happy Trails!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My opinion is that you got a primo rifle for your money, ILO a run-of-the-mill carbine. Niiiice ! :P :P :P

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Marlin added that monte-carlo comb to their stocks in 1957. I don't know how long they used that style, but it was gone by the time they made my 1972 366A in 30-30. Which, by the way is far and away the most accurate 30-30 levergun I have ever fired, cast or jacketed bullets.

Come Monday morning bright and early, I am calling with a credit card and making the rifle in the photo mine. Until then I will keep quiet about where it is. I don't want some low life buying it out from under me.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Read an book by Jack OConner and in it said the the 35remington was pure posion on deer.I
have a REM 81 in 35rem and am currently using it trying to fill my buck tag this season.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got same one! (1970)and " Love it" BUY IT!!!!!!! :wink: Back in 1970, it cost I think $115
Other than the 3 Ruger#1 guns,only levers I have are both .35 Rem Marlins 336's I have the carbine too!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That isn't my cup of tea but those rifles with that stock are much more rare than the standard carbine. I don't believe that is the Bishop after-market but the Marlin issue. Sans the CB safety and I don't think you could err in getting that rifle! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd be a gonner if someone offered me that rifle. I have a real fondness for lever rifles versus carbines.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That looks to be a beauty and a great deal. That stock will serve you well if you put some glass on top. Blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what Mike said; I think that stock was made for scoping the rifle. my .35 is the carbine version. I think it would be fun to hand load for because you can use .357 bullets.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have both a Weaver V4.5 and a K3 (both El Paso made) that are just hanging around the shop not earning their keep. One will take up residence on this rifle.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have a 336A also in 35rem. Mine is a '53 model IIRC. It is one accurate rifle. Beats some of my bolt guns.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think that is a great rifle. Standard Rem Corelokt 200s are very accurate in mine which has a K3 on it. Lot of handloading possibilities but the standard 200s over 39 gr of 4064 or 38 gr of 4895 are hard to beat.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wow what a price, can't go wrong.

Please take a camera to the range :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm not usually a fan of the monte carlo looking butts, but that just looks cool. I like it! It's asking for a nice, low mount, low power scope...

BUY IT!!!

:P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Good Looking rifle. Will be waiting to see which cast bullet load you work up in it. I have two Marlin's in 35 Remington and a Remington 600 bolt action. Haven't tried many casts yet, but thinking I will try out an older Lyman 290 grain RN GC design I happen to have. Good Luck.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm a big fan of the 35 Remington.
Ya can't go wrong with that rig.

Any deer within a hundred yards is a goner with that setup.

(If you can't swing it, let me know where it is!) :mrgreen:

-Stretch
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That gun does not from those pics look to even have a mark on it. Better than any $350 CD investment. Hope he gets to bed early to be up early to be beating down the door to get it. Ah, one of the fellow levergunners just pm'd me and now knows where it is and is camping out in front of the place to grab it :o

Ok---Charles-----------Just Kidding :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a beauty!!

I bought our youngest a '70s vintage 336 in .35 Rem last year for Christmas.
What a tack driver and an absolute joy to shoot.
Last summer at the Indy Levergun shoot he was bouncing ne shot after another off the
200 meter ram offhand like it was nothing!

Now I want one too :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Charles, I hope you get the rifle; it looks like a nice one.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Hobie wrote:That isn't my cup of tea but those rifles with that stock are much more rare than the standard carbine. I don't believe that is the Bishop after-market but the Marlin issue. Sans the CB safety and I don't think you could err in getting that rifle! :mrgreen:
Hobie, this 336 is an exact match to the one my dad bought new in 1951 and I inherited upon his death in 1999. It has the same stock and I know absolutely it was factory issue. This one might even be in better shape though. The best thing I like about it is the very fine sights, they make precision work much easier. Also, the pistol grip and foreend seem more comfortable to the hand than current production.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have never been a Marlin lever fan but that is sure nuff a riflemans rifle. That should serve you well with a Foolproof or a scope.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That looks very classy. Hope you wind up with it Charles, and it shoots as good as it looks.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

WELL?????????????????? :D :lol:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Well I have been saved from myself. The rifle was at Griffin and Howe and a fellow walked in Saturday morning and bought 15 rifle, and this Marlin was among them. Drats!!!!

To drown my sorrys, I ordered a collet chuck (5C) and back plate for my Logan lathe. Cost double the price of the rifle. :-)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sorry you missed that one guy! Congrats on your other purchases though!