Powder dispenser recommendation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Powder dispenser recommendation

Post by alnitak »

OK, the reloading threads have gotten me inspired, first on building a bench and now on upgrading my equipment. The slowest part of my reloading process is weighing each powder charge. It's not too bad with the .44 spl/mag. I generally can just use the Lee dippers to get a consistent charge (I've got the technique down) and am usually within 0.1 grains, maybe 0.2 grains at most. However, using 700X for 9mm reloads requires a small, accurate charge (like 3.1 to 3.4 grains). I'm not comfortable with the margin of error on such small loads, so I weigh each charge separately, greatly adding to my reload time. I've decided it's time to get a powder dispenser. So the question is, which one?

I want an accurate dispenser, mainly for pistol cartridges, that I can trust without the risk of dropping a charge that is 0.5gr more than I want. In researching the options, it appears that drum dispensers are more susceptible in this regard. I have looked at the Quick Measure by Johnson Design, and it seems to be the cutting edge in accurate dispensers, but I don't have the $160 to invest. The next option is the Lee Pro Auto Disk, which has great reviews on Midway, with many citing the accurate and consistent charges it delivers. And at $33 (on sale now), it fits my price range. With the additional $10 accessories (either the dual disks or the infinitely adjustable measure) I can even get small, precise loads. It also has the advantage of working with the expander die in my Lee sets, and I can attach it to my Lee Challenger single-stage press.

I've seen others recommend the Lee Perfect Powder, the Lyman 55, etc. as well.

So, given that the bulk of my reloading is for pistol cartridges, with some .30-30 and .45-70 thrown in (which I don't mind weighing by hand given the low volume I shoot), which powder dispenser would you recommend?
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Powder dispenser recommendation

Post by jnyork »

I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds over the last 40 years. RCBS powder measure has always worked for me, dont see any need to go any further.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This'll be interesting as I do not have a powder dispenser. I load all my rounds one at a time by using a dipper and then a trickle-charger no matter how many rounds I'm reloading. I've thought of getting a powder dispenser so I'll take notes along with you on this one.
ED
Yer never too old
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I first started out with the Lee double disk, and it didn't take me long to box it up and file it on a shelf never to be used again. I can see it's worth as something you would want on a progressive where you seldom change loads and do 500 rounds at a time, but is a major PITA for loading a box of one caliber, then switching to a box of another caliber or load. I picked up a RCBS micrometer type measure later on and haven't had any issues with that. Sometimes when using it on stick powders you need to force it over to cut a grain which has ended up at the shear point, but it still throws quite well IMO.

Ed
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have both the RCBS Uniflow and the Redding #3
measures. I like the Redding best and keep the RCBS just for back up these days. You will need the small
(pistol /small rifle) drum for it to meter small charges of flake powders without the cylinder binding up. :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

For pistol powders the Lee Perfect Powder measure works pretty good. Not as good with extruded powders for rifles - at least in my experience. The Lyman powder measure works pretty good all around. I've had one for nearly 15 years now and loaded a lot with it off and on (depending on when I'm where I can reload). I've used it for '06, 30 WCF, 6.5X55, 25-35, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 38 spl with powders ranging from Winchester 760, IMR 4895, Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and a couple others that slip my mind at the moment. With 4895 and such the Lyman seems to meter better than the Lee. It can be set up on a dedicated stand and when used properly is very consistent. My usual technique is to do an up stroke to charge the meter, down stroke to throw the powder, flip the knocker to encourage any wayward flakes or sticks of powder to drop on down into the cartridge. Then repeat the cycle. I'll weigh about every tenth charge to confirm that it's still consistent and visually inspect all cartridges for uniformity as well. That is if I'm playing with a good safety margin on the load. If it's pushing the envelop then each load gets weighed. Using this technique I was able to get three shot clover leaf groups at 100 yards out of my old P17 Enfield, which is plenty accurate for my needs.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

First, let me qualify my remarks: Almost anyone here prolly has better experience loading than me.....So.....

My Lee Perfect throws charges pretty good, but not "perfect" weight everytime. Been using Lee Dippers and they are good enough and fast. If I ever decide to get real serious about loading, I'll get an electronic scale that will remember and throw a precise charge just by pushing a button. One thing I would recommend is a set of calibrated weights so you can know you are being accurate. A little + or - is not gonna make much difference with our short yardage levers and shooters, but if you are going to do some serious loading, it might make a difference.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I find my RCBS and Dillon measures too much of a hassle to set to new charges, or re-set to 'old' ones. I know you can get add-on 'micrometer' adjustment bars for both of them, but they are pricey, and I recently decided to give the Lee "Pro Auto-Disk" a try.

Several comments on the "Pro Auto-Disk"

1. The Lee Pro Auto-Disk is DIFFERENT than their 'regular' disk measure, which I've not used, but the consensus is it's way better. From what I've read, their "Lee Auto-Disk" is cheaper, but much more awkward and slow to use.

2. You're right - get the 'accessory' kit - it is inexpensive, and you get the micrometer adjustment bar, and a second disk set, for great flexibility in loading. With most powders, this translates to repeatable 0.1 grain increments, without a cycle of "set measure, weigh, adjust, re-weigh, adjust again, etc..." each time you change loads. On my 'load cards' I'm just writing down the settings like

".44 Mag 240g JSP - Alliant 2400 - 0.71+0.88=1.59cc for 20.6 grains"

The "0.71" and "0.88" refer to the two disks used, totalling 1.59cc, which will throw 20.6 grains consistently. If I want, I can throw 20.7 grains, by using a 0.66+0.95, for 1.61cc, verified on my powder scale, and I know whenever I use that powder with those two disks, I WILL get that charge thrown.

The powder shut-off helps so I can use a hopper full of powder, yet change disks quickly (takes maybe 30 seconds) and throw a different weight. I've been loading 50-100 at a time, and maybe 4 or 5 different charges in each session, working up loads. Makes it pretty fast, with that measure vs. MY other ones. Now the disclaimer is that MY RCBS measures are fairly old, and perhaps the newer ones are easier to set repeatable adjustments on, but just the 'add-on' to upgrade to that micrometer charger on my RCBS costs more than I spent for the whole Lee measure. I think maybe I have the RCBS equivalent of the "Lee Auto-Disk" and hopefully they improved their current generation of machines as much as Lee did when they went to the "Pro" version.

3. The biggest downside - it says "Lee" on it, and you can fix that easily by using some duct tape and stencils, or green paint, if you're an RCBS fan... :lol: Seriously, if I were to drop my Green, Blue, and Red powder measures on the floor from three feet, I doubt any would 'survive' the trauma, but I can replace the Lee for far less money if that ever happens. Perhaps after 5,000 rounds, I'll break something on the Lee that wouldn't have broken on the Blue or Green one, but again, it makes no sense to me to spend far more money on a Blue or Green one than I'd spend even if I replaced the Red one every couple years.

I use mine on a turret Press*, but you can use it on a progressive press too (I've thought about putting on my Dillon RL550B next time I set it up, just to see if it makes the paint start to crinkle... :lol: ). You can use it as a 'stand-alone' measure as well. On some presses or with tall dies, you might need the 'riser' part, which is only about $5.

Lee Pro Auto-Disk

*(...and it is Red, too... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i have two, a rcbs that is set up for rifle charging [mostly imr 4895].
then a lyman 55 that i use for pistol stuff [ mostly unique ]. they
both work well, needing only small adjustments for different loads.
they seem fairly accurate, as well. weighing every so often [ pick
an interval ] is still important no matter what you choose.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've used the Lee Auto Disk for years - well over a decade - and have always liked it. My only complaint is with the hopper. The screw holes are plastic, and they strip easily. Other than that, it is a very effective reloading aid!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I have an even half-dozen dedicated Lyman 55 measures.

I don't load for all that many different calibers any more, so the 'system' I've developed works great for my needs.

I have an RCBS measure that may some day find employment as a target... Too loose for Winchester & Hodgdon ball (spherical) powders. The individual granules get stuck between the housing & rotor, making it very difficult to throw charges, and almost impossible to maintain consistancy..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I've used the Lee Auto Disk for years - well over a decade - and have always liked it. My only complaint is with the hopper. The screw holes are plastic, and they strip easily. Other than that, it is a very effective reloading aid!
I think that's one of the major differences they made between the 'Regular' and 'Pro' versions. If you purchase the 'upgrade' kit I think it switches everything over to the new system.

On MidwayUSA,

A complete Pro Auto Disk is $33 - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=348753
The Upgrade kit is $16 - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=155227
The Double-disk kit is $11 - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=870920

Even though mine was the 'Pro' model, the Upgrade was the cheapest way to get the micrometer charge bar, riser, and other spare parts, plus an extra hopper. Hard to beat those prices.

To get a micrometer bar for my RCBS would have cost $34 just for the one part.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have used my RCBS Uni-flow now for close to 40 years, I have no need to change, it continues to serve me well. This I use for Rifle reloading. For Revolver & Pistol I reload on a Dillon Square Deal B progressive press. Dillon has the no BS life time guarantee, and I have taken it in now twice for a full rebuild at no charge.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've got an old Hornady Deluxe and the little plastic Lee both screwed to my bench; the Lee has proven just as accurate as the Hornady with the ball powders I've run through both of them. I do like the Hornady better when throwing heavy charges, but the Lees are so cheap can dedicate them for a specific cartridge and not cry too much.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I agree with Sarge.
I have the Lee perfect powder measure, which operates like a piece of rubber mounted junk, but it measures charges just as good as anything else.
Its accurate to within 0.1grn, at least with the powders I use.
I will never rely on any powder thrower 100%, and always check every 5th or 10th charge on a scale, depending on how well I am operating the lever that day.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I have tried every powder measure on the market. A lot of my friends have got great deals on like new powder measures. Here is what I have found works best for me.

For pistol only, its hard to beat the RCBS Little Dandy. It is one of the simplest and most consistent powder measures I own. The downside is buying the rotors. The measure that came with my Dillon press is very accurate as well but makes a mess with H110 and similar powders.

For rifle, I almost always use the Lee Dippers and an electronic scale. I have a Redding 3BR that is a great scale but seldom gets used. I am a "one load" type of reloader and I have yet to see a powder measure that will throw consistent charges with the powders I use in rifle cartridges. Overall, I am just as fast with a Lee Dipper and a good electronic scale.

I have a Lyman 55 (for Black Powder) that is fairly consistent with BP if "I hold my mouth just right everytime."

In summary, what I use most is a Little Dandy, Lee Dippers and an electronic scale.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

For those considering a Lee perfect, what I'd do with a new one is loosen the screw in the center of the drum a bit so it cycles a little easier, then cycle about a half pound of powder through it to fully coat it with graphite. This ought to make it more civilized and will increase repeatability. THEN ya got a real good measure that didn't break the bank.
Certified gun nut
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I find my PACT dispenser and scale work quite well. I dont recall the model number but I think they only make the one. The scale and dispenser are linked via IR and are quite accurate and easy to use.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

My Lyman #55 measure is 40 years old, this year.
I have an RCBS but can't remember when it was last used.
The #55 is very consistent and easy to set up.
I load an awful lot of pistol ammo and a fair amount of rifle ammo with this measure and wouldn't buy anything else.

Jack
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let me just say this: Anything you get will only be as good as the time you take to learn a consistent technique and stick to it. I have two RCBS powder measures, a Lyman 55 and the ones that came on my Dillons & Mecs.

I've never used the dippers that came with a couple of Lee's that I have, nor have I used any of their other powder measures. However, I have learned that any of them can be inconsistent as all get out. Again, depending on your technique. Take my drum type RCBS measures... if I tap the handle lightly on the top of the stroke I will get a certain charge weight... if I INCREASE the amount of force of that bump, I will INCREASE the charge weight. Tap it twice, I get more. However, the next stroke doesn't necessarily remain the same... as during that "tapping", I've also settled what's in the hopper.

Now, if the reloading "Gods" are smiling on me, or I'm holding my mouth just right, or ??? whatever silliness you attribute the vagaries of luck, the material in the hopper will have settled properly and the next rotation will allow them to fall into the drum without any sticking and completely filling the drum. And the same applies when you rotate the drum so that the powder falls into your case.

Now for the advice... buy ONE, and use it for a long time, learn it's idiocracies, test it's consistency from drop to drop with different techniques. As Confuscious might say, "...become one with your powder measure..." :mrgreen:

2nd piece of advice, make sure you have mastered the FIRST powder measure you buy before declaring it defective and incapable of consistency and buying another. For unless you figure out how to mechanize the dern thing, you will ALWAYS have the human factor to add that random bit of inconsistency back into your reloading.

For a very long time, measured in years, I still weighed each charge after dropping it from my 1st RCBS. Until I developed a good enough technique that my dropped charges didn't vary more than a tenth or 2 of a grain, did I feel confident enough to forego weighing. And I still weigh every 5th or 10th drop. Additionally, for my purposes, I weigh every drop for about 10 drops every time I load the powder measure. I don't even drop those charges into a case, just dump 'em back into the hopper. I don't start dropping into cases until I've dumped at least 5 consistent charges onto the scale pan. By consistent I mean within ±.05 grain. And if I'm building target ammo, consistent is far too imprecise. Each load must be exact.

And for building target ammo, a good trickler is a nice accessory. Not necessary, but it sure makes it easier to dribble those last few grains (not weigh, but actual kernals) of powder to make that EXACT weight.

So, while I might offer advise about types or brands of other reloading tools, what I know of powder dispensers is that none of them are as precise as really needed. So pick yer favorite brand, buy their dispenser and learn to use it as precisely as humanly possible.

Good luck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

For those considering a Lee perfect, what I'd do with a new one is loosen the screw in the center of the drum a bit so it cycles a little easier, then cycle about a half pound of powder through it to fully coat it with graphite. This ought to make it more civilized and will increase repeatability. THEN ya got a real good measure that didn't break the bank.
+1
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY