Scout mount versus over the receiver.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Scout mount versus over the receiver.

Post by scarville »

I have a BLR in 308. It is a take down with he aluminum receiver. I installed the scout mount. I have a Williams WGRS with a ghost ring aperture mounted in place of the front dovetail. I replaced the stock front sight with a Williams blade. All in all it's a pretty nice rifle so far.

I know it is practically heresy (the BLR is a heretical lever action :-)) but I want to add an optical sight; either a scope, a red dot or a holosight. I've narrowed the options down to:

A scout scope with quick release rings. Possibilities are the Leupold 2.5X28, or Nikon 1X20. I have no experience with Burris scopes but some people have recommend them to me. I know they make a 2-7X32 with an illuminated reticle that sounds attractive.

A holosight (Bushnell or Eotech) mounted on the scout mount.

A red dot mounted over the rear dovetail. This would have to be a single point mount like an Aimpoint (several models would work) or the Tasco Propoint 1X32.

A Leupold Prismatic 1X20 mounted on the rear dovetail.

Naturally I'd like to be able to keep the option of making 500 yard shots but the truth is I haven't shot anything past about 200 yards in years.

In addition to criticizing my choices above does anyone have any experience with or informed opinions about the scout mount versus over the receiver?
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
76/444

Re: Scout mount versus over the receiver.

Post by 76/444 »

I think each mount has specific pros and cons and folks just has to work them out for themselves. I use a scout mount with a red dot because of a n eye injury. I would use a scout mount with a red dot, even if I didn't have this problem. I get a fantastic field of view with this set up, using both eye open sighting. I have heard to many bad reports on limited field of view if a scout mount is used with a scout scope,... too ever consider that set up.

As to red dot or scope? I plan to shoot my big bore up close and personal, less than 100yds and more like 25yds to 50yds,....so I just don't see how you can beat a red dot. I just sighted mine in last week at 75yds and it was still dead on at 175yds.

If I were to go for more than 100yds(because of my eye sight) I go with a scope. If I don't foresee using it less more 200yds, I think 1.5x4.5 w/20mm objectives are very nice on lever guns. Over 200yds out to 500, I like a fixed 10x mildot. But I go to a different gun for that

I think all the scopes you have listed will do fine. I prefer to go middle road when buying a scope. But, I just got in a low end Brunton ECHO 1.5-5x20mm objective with a circle dot etched retical that seems really nice,.... on sale from Natchez for around 50% off at I think close to 50 bucks. I just mounted it so I can't say much more. It is just another one for you to look into. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 76/444 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Note heresy, it's called getting old. But this works for me, very well.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

scarville wrote:In addition to criticizing my choices above does anyone have any experience with or informed opinions about the scout mount versus over the receiver?
Now would WE, your fellow brothers-in-leverguns crititicize your choices...? SURELY not...!

I like the Bushnell Holosight - 'military' durability, FAST acquisition, and IMHO perfect for a home-defense, or 'chore' gun, especially if it might be used at night (like if you're trying to spot a coyote in the goat pen 75 yards away with a flashlight or gun-mounted light, or a raccoon scurrying around the barn in the distant glow of a floodlight).

BUT I don't like the lack of magnification for OTHER uses, especially if you're using a pointy-bullet, longer-range round - there I think your 'scout scope' with magnification would be better.

Personally, though, I've tried 'scout' scopes and still can't get used to them - but MANY others really like them.

If you get a chance, try both, before you buy anything, although the Holosight is something even if you didn't like on that gun, you'd probably use on another gun. The Holosight on my 10/22 is actually one I had on a compound bow originally!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

jeepnik wrote:Note heresy, it's called getting old. But this works for me, very well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice looking kit you got there guy!!!
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

Having recently turned my 444 into a scout, I too faced this dilemma, so I went with an "inexpensive" Barska intermediate eye relief scope mounted forward on a rail. I do have red dots that I can install as well, but wanted to see what the little Barska 2 power was capable of. I am HOOKED! It does take a couple of minutes to get the hang of, but it really works for me, and although my usual shots are less than 100 yards, I like the small increase in magnification. The scope I used was $49 dollars, and although I will probably upgrade to a Burris when finances are available, I like it.
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I find the over the receiver much easier to pick up but others seem to like the scout. I think it is personal preference. I like scopes to be naturally aligned when I shoulder the rifle and the scout seems to make it a much smaller opening to align with.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've used a scout scope setup for the last 6 years, and no disrespect meant to anyone - but IMHO most people that experience "problems" with limited FOV's and small sight pictures are using scopes with too much magnification or a scope with an eye relief window specification that doesn't work well with a particular rifle's mounting position in relation to the shooter's eye..

After trying 2-7 variable pistol scopess, and both the Leupold & theburris Scout scopes, I settled on a 2x pistol scope for my personal ergonomics - given my physical build, my rifle's dimensions, and after testing the various eye relief window specs of the different scopes.

For ME, this 2x pistol (EER) scope ( a new Weaver 2x28 Classic) works just like a ghost ring peep sight on my rifle - a Marlin 1894P .44 Mag.
YMMV, of course.

In point of fact, although I first set this "scout" rifle up with both an XS peep and a LeverScout mount/scope; after determining the correct scope for me, I never removed the scope - and so removed the peep sight after the first 4 years.

BTW - Both when on my way into the woods, and on my way out (with a deer, about half the time, usually), I pass one or two individuals who seem to just LOVE setting where they can overlook what seems to be the entire world; but not many animals seem to stumble into their sights. :roll:

I haven't had to down a game animal at a distance over 250yds, in over 40 years oh all kinds of hunting - so please pardon me, if I seem to have no tolerance for long-range outfits.

PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I installed the scout mount.
There's a scout mount for the BLR? Do tell! I want one, who makes it?
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I am a true believer in the scout scope. I read some criticisms of them but have not experienced anything but joy with mine. The forward mounting position keeps your gun easy to carry. The extra weight of the scope out front makes the gun hang better too.

As long as you are not cross eye dominant you can use one fine. It enables you to shoot the gun as naturally as a shotgun on close up moving game. You have both eyes open, raise the gun and your cross hair is there like a heads up display. You still have all your peripheral vision and there is no "getting behind" the scope. You never can't find your deer in the scope up close in thick stuff.

If your shot is longer you have all the advantages of a crosshair and scope. You can close one eye and really precision aim if you want to. The low magnification gets the shake out of the scope and I like that.

With my Leupold the distance within the duplex covers about 18" at 150 yards. If a deer does not fill my duplex it is beyond 150 so I may need to hold top of the back. If the deer is larger than my duplex I can hold dead on. It is not a precision range finder but it does work.

Not everyone likes the scout and I know guys who grew up with conventional scopes who can use them very well on moving game, up close, or far away. I am and old iron sight shooter and never liked scopes until I tried the scout.

My scouted Marlin is my main gun and over and over I take it over any other gun. It is a joy to carry and use. I hunt woods and broken country and my shots can range from 10 feet to 200 yards but most are maybe 85 yards and I like 45 yards when I can get it. If I was in the desert I might see things different.

Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

PaulB wrote:
I installed the scout mount.
There's a scout mount for the BLR? Do tell! I want one, who makes it?
Browning makes 'em.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Thanks to all who answered. You've given me some more to think about. Nice to hear from people who seem to understand that the perfect rifle is as much a work of art as a product of technology.

A few comments
jeepnik wrote:Note heresy, it's called getting old. But this works for me, very well.
No argument there. My eyes stopped changing about the time I crossed the half century mark and my vision is just bad enough that I can't cut it with irons sights anymore except in full sunlight. Most animals I hunt are out around sunrise or sunset.
PaulB wrote:There's a scout mount for the BLR? Do tell! I want one, who makes it?
In my case it is the mount Browning makes for the take down model. It uses the holes for the rear sight and a couple of extra holes drilled and tapped into the barrel. It is really slick how it lays in the same plane as the top of the receiver.

There is no reason I can see that a mount like the XS mounts for the Marlin or the couldn't be made for the BLR. Use the rear sight mounting holes and one or both sets of holes for the scope dovetail. AFAIK, no one makes anything like that. More's the pity; if the price was reasonable, I'd buy one for my old steel receiver model 81 in a minute.
AJMD429 wrote:I like the Bushnell Holosight - 'military' durability, FAST acquisition, and IMHO perfect for a home-defense, or 'chore' gun, especially if it might be used at night (like if you're trying to spot a coyote in the goat pen 75 yards away with a flashlight or gun-mounted light, or a raccoon scurrying around the barn in the distant glow of a floodlight)
I have a Gen II Bushnell Holosight on a Marlin 1894C and another on a Keltec SU-16. I really like it. Unless I really need the hardening and/or night vision compatibility of the Eotech (Eotech make the Bushnell sight) it is, IMO, the absolute best 1X sight available.
Dave wrote:I am a true believer in the scout scope. I read some criticisms of them but have not experienced anything but joy with mine. The forward mounting position keeps your gun easy to carry. The extra weight of the scope out front makes the gun hang better too.
I've noticed that my BLR's are much easier to carry without the over the receiver scope. It just seem to balance right were the scope is. That is an important consideration to me because I'll often walk a considerable distance while hunting. I have a good "safari" sling but sometimes I just want the rifle right there in my hand so I can bring it to my shoulder quickly.
As long as you are not cross eye dominant you can use one fine.
I am right handed with a left dominant eye but years of handgun shooting have taught me how to shift gears in my head and see the world from a right-eyed POV long enough to make a shot. It is a strain and for long strings I'll use a blinder over my left eye. However, so far I haven't had any problem with red dots on my 22's so I don't anticipate any significant problems there. How many shots will I make in a day hunting?
If your shot is longer you have all the advantages of a crosshair and scope.
That's why I'm seriously considering the scout scope. I still trust myself to hit down to a coyote in the boiler room at 100 yards with a 1x holosight and my glasses on. Beyond that I'm just not sure anymore. I was brought up that a good hunter doesn't take shot he's not sure he can make.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.