Ruger M96 .22 Mag - back in production?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Ruger M96 .22 Mag - back in production?

Post by Hobie »

Boss just got one in from a distributor. It sits, NOS or not, in the shop. Are they back in production? Ruger's site has no mention other than the serial number list showing 2009 as a year of production... :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger M96 .22 Mag - back in production?

Post by BigSky56 »

I sure hope so been looking for one for quite awhile. danny
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

That would be great.....I thought the 96 in rim and center fire was a nice rifle.

I would like to see a 96 in 45 ACP. I think a lot of 1911 fans woould gravitate towards a rifle to mate up with their favorite sidearm.

Wm
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum but Ruger has stopped production of the 10/22 except for clean-up orders. Evidently they believe that the continued production of semi-auto rifles (all calibers) will be in jeopardy in the near future.

Got the above info from a Ruger Rep in a gun store (Jone's Fort) in Redding, CA.

Maybe that 96/22M was found on a back shelf or something. I haven't heard of them starting up production of any of the 96 series again.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Stopped production of the 10/22? I hadn't heard that. I would think they would slam dunk as many on the market as they could while they could.

BigSky, if you want this 96 PM me and I'll give you the contact info. I know Chris will ship to your dearler, no problem.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:Stopped production of the 10/22? I hadn't heard that. I would think they would slam dunk as many on the market as they could while they could.

BigSky, if you want this 96 PM me and I'll give you the contact info. I know Chris will ship to your dearler, no problem.
My local gun store owner tried to order 20 Ruger 10/22s from his distributor. Ground Squirrel shooting is big here and he can sell as many as he can get. He only got 6 10/22s. His distributor said that was all he had and that he couldn't get anymore from Ruger for the forseeabler future.
ED
Yer never too old
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I would bet that this is the reason to drop the 10/22 as we new it.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR22/index.html
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I am seeing them advertised at one of the wholesalers (NIB) since Hobie posted this. The ruger website has a banner for the 96-22 mag but no picture or specs but a link to stocking dealers MSRP 451.00.
Thanks for the offer Hobie I was looking for one at wholesale price. danny
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BigSky56 wrote:I am seeing them advertised at one of the wholesalers (NIB) since Hobie posted this. The ruger website has a banner for the 96-22 mag but no picture or specs but a link to stocking dealers MSRP 451.00.
Thanks for the offer Hobie I was looking for one at wholesale price. danny
I understand. Get one as cheap as you can!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I've seen the new 96/22M at two local shops, priced in the mid-$400s range.

The receiver and lever are coated with a fine-texture coating similar to a "wrinkle-finish" paint as opposed to the smooth, semi-gloss coating of former times.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Modoc ED wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum but Ruger has stopped production of the 10/22 except for clean-up orders. Evidently they believe that the continued production of semi-auto rifles (all calibers) will be in jeopardy in the near future.

Got the above info from a Ruger Rep in a gun store (Jone's Fort) in Redding, CA.

Maybe that 96/22M was found on a back shelf or something. I haven't heard of them starting up production of any of the 96 series again.

I suppose that is why the new SR 556 and SR 22 have just been introduced. :shock: . I'd venture an upgrade in tooling or rifle design is in the works. Makes no sense to discontinue the best selling 22LR of all time.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

handirifle wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum but Ruger has stopped production of the 10/22 except for clean-up orders. Evidently they believe that the continued production of semi-auto rifles (all calibers) will be in jeopardy in the near future.

I suppose that is why the new SR 556 and SR 22 have just been introduced. :shock: . I'd venture an upgrade in tooling or rifle design is in the works. Makes no sense to discontinue the best selling 22LR of all time.
Many folks come in asking for a 10/22 and find the military style Colt, S&W, Keltec, etc a curiosity (at best) or abomination. The majority give them to their kids or grandkids for squirrel hunting.

The new 10/22s are also coming in with the same powder-coat type finish this 96/22 has.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Modoc ED wrote:
Hobie wrote:Stopped production of the 10/22? I hadn't heard that. I would think they would slam dunk as many on the market as they could while they could.

My local gun store owner tried to order 20 Ruger 10/22s from his distributor. Ground Squirrel shooting is big here and he can sell as many as he can get. He only got 6 10/22s. His distributor said that was all he had and that he couldn't get anymore from Ruger for the forseeabler future.
I just checked Davidson's inventory, and they have over 500 10/22 rifles in stock. I also checked Lipsey's inventory, and they have almost as many. 10/22s are available. While I was typing this, a Ruger exec called, and we had a pretty good laugh over this, while discussing a new version of the 10/22 due out very soon, that should be a welcome addition to the lineup. Tell your local gun dealer to call Lipsey's or Davidson's, and he can get all the 10/22s that he wants.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Different versions/configurations may come and go, but barring a USRAC type fiasco, me thinks the base model 10/22 is going to be around for a long while to come.

If they are bringing back the 96/22 in Mag then maybe there's hope they'll bring back the 10/22 mag.

Luckily I've still got my 9422Mag and 1894M.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I don't know guys. The guy that passed the info on was a true Ruger Rep. I've met him at that store before when they were doing a Ruger Promotion Sale. Maybe he wasn't clear enough about what Ruger's intentions were. I try never to pass on false info.

The new finish you guys are describing bings to mind the new "plastic like" receivers and the krinkle finish of some later 10/22s. You can check over at www.rimfirecentral.com about it. It seems that the krinkle finish (paint) chips off on the inside of the receiver and can cause the action to jam. The fix seems to be to strip the action and remove the krinkle finish.

Anyway, I hope they are bringing back the 96M and hpefully the 96/22 LR and 96/44 too.

Sorry if I've misled anyone. It sure as heck wasn't my intent.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:I don't know guys. The guy that passed the info on was a true Ruger Rep. I've met him at that store before when they were doing a Ruger Promotion Sale. Maybe he wasn't clear enough about what Ruger's intentions were. I try never to pass on false info.

The new finish you guys are describing bings to mind the new "plastic like" receivers and the krinkle finish of some later 10/22s. You can check over at http://www.rimfirecentral.com about it. It seems that the krinkle finish (paint) chips off on the inside of the receiver and can cause the action to jam. The fix seems to be to strip the action and remove the krinkle finish.

Anyway, I hope they are bringing back the 96M and hpefully the 96/22 LR and 96/44 too.

Sorry if I've misled anyone. It sure as heck wasn't my intent.
We know that. I see a lot of people at gun stores that sling a lot of you-know-what!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC from reading on rimfire central a long time ago I think the reason they put a stop on the 10/22M was because a lot of the frames were cracking because of the added recoil of the Mag rounds. A 96/22M might be nice though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FWIW this 96/22M has a cash price of $385 and IIRC the trade price is $419! I liked it better this morning than the other day.... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

i just got a 96/22M last month. All the lever guns are discontinued as of the last 1/4 2009...
At this time and probably forever Ruger is out of the lever gun business...
Last week I also scored a perfect shape 96/44 at a gun show it is so clean i don't think that Grampa ever fired it...