Opinions of the .338 Marlin Express?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Opinions of the .338 Marlin Express?

Post by 336A »

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about my next levergun purchase. For my next levergun I want to get a large bore. Through much reading the choices have been narrowed down to the .444 Marlin or the .338 ME. The .338ME appeals to me due to it's flat trajectory and it is for lack of a better word a modernized .348 Win. I was reading over at Marlin owners where a individual even reloaded his .338ME with the Hornady 250gr RN bullet with very good results. While not really a big bore but rather a medium bore it still offers quite a big punch and those .338 bullets have awesome sectional density. On the flip side of the coin however I'm a little concerned about ammo availibility and if the cartridge will stick around.
As far as the .444 goes well what is there really to say, it is an awesome cartridge that is capable of taking anything in the U.S. Ammo while a little difficult to find at times is still easier to find and in more variety than the .338ME though it just don't have the legs the of .338ME. So what would the majority here pick and why.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Opinions of the .338 Marlin Express?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I understand exactly what you're saying.

The 444 is much more "practical" to be sure - no ammo problem at all.

These two are really quite different animals though - if you really want the flat shooting/high SD aspects of the .338, its hard to beat other than maybe going with a .356 Win - 35 Rem rechamber. But then, you're still going to have the brass scarcity issue. Though, Winchester does have limited production runs...

I love my .356 Win chambered 336 and there are plenty of bullet (and cast boolit) options...

Sorry - not helping much here I know :oops:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Flat noses in the 444 make it loose steam in a big hurry once it cross that 100 yd line.
If the real world ballistics of the 338 match the advertising hype it's probably an ok cartridge. Used as a hunting gun, by someone that reloads, 3 boxes of factory ammo would probably last a couple of decades, if you didn't mash to many cases during the reloading process.
But as the 338 is only in the Marlin format, I'm not terribly interested in it, especially when the Browning Blr can be had in the 358.
But none of the above could take the spot in my heart for my 405 :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Of the ME's, I like the 338, but I just can't use another rifle right now.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

336A, Ive been hearing bad reviews on the FT bullets some act like a FMC and others blow up on deer, nobody around here will use them on elk, bottom line a good RN or FN in the 33 would be your best bet. danny
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If a big bore's your game, the .444's the name.

To keep the hype in perspective, the .338ME offers almost exactly the same ballistics/energy & bullet drop with a 200gr slug as does the .30-06 over the same ranges - for all practical purposes giving the buyer a .30-06 in a normally-sized levergun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Marlin_Express

So................ The question I find I'm asking myself is: Do I want/need another .30-06 ? ( I have five)

I suppose that if I was buying my first CF rifle, I would buy a .338ME - but not the SS/lamo, for sure.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

hornady should have loaded the .356w.c.f to light magnum standards using a 180 grain gummy tip. follow that up with a 220gr. flatnose at those same light magnum specs. i see the .338 marlin dying the same death as the .356 :cry: . why nobody but me wants a 200 yard 30-06 in a model 94 platform has always boggled my little peabrain sized mind :?
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Have one. Wouldn't hesitate to use it to 250yds. Want to try some of the FN's for the 33 win. The gummy tips aren't quite as accurate as I had hoped. About 1.5" @ 100yds. Would have preferred a 375ME loaded with 250gr gummy tips. Lots more cast boolits available.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have both and they are both accurate.I'm still breaking in my 338mx. Here is my bullet test post.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 41#p251141

The pluses for the 338 are

It's lighter than a 444 , it feels like a 30-30
Less recoil , in fact the 338 factory ammo had less recoil than my handloads that were 200fps slower.

I found the factory ammo consistant. Chrony 10 rounds that averaged 2560 fps with extreme spread of 17fps and if you took out the fastest and slowest it was only 7fps.

The 338 has better balance carrying . I don't know a reason why I would every sell it,unless it doesn't anchor deer very well.
I also have a 356 that is a great round. One reason I bought the 338 was because I missed the wagon on the 356 and then it took a long time to find one when I decided I wanted one. so I didn't want to miss the wagon on the 338.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you already have a .308 or .30-06, I'd get the .444 Marlin - it 'adds' much more to your choices.

If you already have a .45-70 but not a .308 or .30-06, then I'd get the .338 ME or something similar.

My inclination is to stick with box-magazine guns for pointy-bullet cartridges, unless or until I'm that impressed with the performance and economics of gummy-tips.

I like lever-guns, but if I need to shoot past 200 yards or so, I know the animal can't see the gun well enough to get angry that I'm using a bolt-gun.

Of course if one of the rotary/box magazine people would make a strong gun for a pointy-bullet round like .308 that I liked and/or could afford, I'd probably get one.

For now, I'll keep my bolt-guns... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

AJMD429 wrote:If you already have a .308 or .30-06, I'd get the .444 Marlin - it 'adds' much more to your choices.

Of course if one of the rotary/box magazine people would make a strong gun for a pointy-bullet round like .308 that I liked and/or could afford, I'd probably get one.

Such a rifle was introduced 114 yrs ago. It was the Winchester Model 1895, a rifle that was, and is, very capable of use with "pointy bullets". Savage was fast on the heels of Winchester with their 1895/99 series, but with shorter cartridge capability. Recent 99s were made in .308 and are very available at reasonable prices.8)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mike don't forget about the Blr, rotating locking lugs on the bolt, just like the bolt guns. Scope mounting friendly and is available not only in the 06 but a whole host of other fine 200 yd+ cartridges. :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Then there is the forgotten Win Modell 88 which is a front locking design. It is stronger than the '95 (which is a rear locker) but not quite as strong as modern BLRs. Lots of choices for pointy bullets in leverguns. :P

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 338 is quite interesting - covers a very wide band in the levergun area. But the 45/70 is great choice too.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't have one....yet. but the MX .338 with the 22" barrel just makes sense to Me. the rifle is about pertfect size to be toting around the woods with a long range punch.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I hadn't forgotten the later leverguns that handle spitzer bullets, it was the beginnings that I posted about. personally, I haven't any use for the .338ME, especially since I already own .33WCF and .348WCF Winchesters. My concern is how long will the 336 action last with that cartridge before serious problems arise.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mike D. wrote:Such a rifle was introduced 114 yrs ago. It was the Winchester Model 1895, a rifle that was, and is, very capable of use with "pointy bullets". Savage was fast on the heels of Winchester with their 1895/99 series, but with shorter cartridge capability. Recent 99s were made in .308 and are very available at reasonable prices.
Yep. Great guns. I just wish they were currently manufactured so there would more competitive pricing, and a bit more assurance of parts and service. Pretty much now it seems you have to have the Browning to have a 'current' levergun that handles pointy rounds. Pretty pricey. Great guns though, and if I can 'trade up' for one someday I might just do that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

I like the data and the idea but I am also a carbine guy. I want mine in 18"s and a t that length what is the ballistics.. I checked Honady's statics and it looks great maybe next year I'll get one and chop it down.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

The 338 ME is one of the most significant innovations in leverguns in a long time. It would be a shame for it not to succeed. A traditional looking levergun that can drop an elk at 250 yards by holding 3" high instead of a foot over the animal's back? That's pretty special.

The FTX bullet has provided excellent terminal performance in the 35 Remington load. If the 338's are not performing well, then rest assured that Marlin and Hornady will correct it soon. They don't settle for less when it comes to quality.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
LeadHead
Levergunner

Post by LeadHead »

I have a 444 Marlin and have to admit I find it to be one of the best all round and fun cartridges I have ever loaded. I have done everything from making a .410 shotshell load, a 4 pellet buchshot, to a bone crushing 400 grain cast lead bullet load. The straight wall lends itself to do so many different and unique loads I just don't think you can go wrong if you are a reloader. With cast bullets this round has even more power and range than you would guess.

The 338 is also one of my favorites calibers. I have a 338 Win Mag. I have loaded it with a diverse rage from single pellet of buchshot loaded for rabbits and blue grouse to 275 grain bullets.

Since cast bullets are one of my main interests I would recommend the 444. However either would be good if you are just shooting factory stuff but I would still give an edge to the 444.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

AJMD429 wrote:If you already have a .308 or .30-06, I'd get the .444 Marlin - it 'adds' much more to your choices.

If you already have a .45-70 but not a .308 or .30-06, then I'd get the .338 ME or something similar.

My inclination is to stick with box-magazine guns for pointy-bullet cartridges, unless or until I'm that impressed with the performance and economics of gummy-tips.

I like lever-guns, but if I need to shoot past 200 yards or so, I know the animal can't see the gun well enough to get angry that I'm using a bolt-gun.

Can't argue with the logic, above. All I can add is, I prefer bolts for over 200yds and levers under 200yds,.... I just pick what kind of shooting I am going to do and go from there.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have not used my .338MXLR on game but it is a fine shooter with the first 3 shot group ever fired at 100 yd going into 1 1/4".
I have the .444,.45-70 and the .308MX also. All are all you need for Deer/Elk depending on the range and area you hunt.

The ammo for all above will be available for a good long time
I would bet. :D
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Got most calibers but the 338ME. Going to fix that
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

A lot has to do with what you already have for rifles and what you hunt and where. Many talk of "what if's". For example, I live in northern New England, don't travel to far away places to hunt. I like the north woods so if I did travel it would be to other places like this. So a rifle/cartridge combo that works for me here would fit anyplace I'd hunt. You may be quite different, so look at your situation and judge accordingly. The arguments against the 338 Marlin are much the same as what the 444 endured. Not much variety,not many guns chambered for it. It seems to have made it this far, so if the 338 looks like the way to go for you, I'd grab it. It's pluses are lighter recoil and flatter trajectory. The 444 has more punch within it's effective range and isn't that big a deal recoil wise for what it is. The 444 is, and I think the 338 can be, a great woods cartridge and the Marlin rifle is a great woods rifle. Having both would cover the entire spectrum of medium and big game hunting at woods distances in North America. For me, I'd start with the 444 and look to move into a 338 as soon as I could after that.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick