OT: 375 H&H and Ruger, et al. shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

OT: 375 H&H and Ruger, et al. shooters

Post by Mike Rintoul »

We have developed a new loading for 375 centerfires other than the Winchester. The 350 grain Northfork expanding bullet and solid was researched extensively by Joe Riekers. He wanted a 380 gr bullet but Northfork had issues with the length. Joe got on me enough that I became convinced and I in turn got on to Northfork. At first they made a 340 gr but Joe just about handed me my backside over this and insisted on the 350 gr - for good reasons. He is not only well educated about the terminal ballistic but he understands marketing very well. I went back to Northfork and they responded with a 350 grain. The first batch was made in just two weeks due to a deadline that would take them to Africa. These bullets were virtually untested so I loaded them to the same point of impact as another loading that Joe favors thereby making the loads interchangable as far as the rifle's sight-in. The ammo that made the trip was loaded to only 2300 fps to accomplish the same point of impact. Six large animals were shot, including more than one in the 500- 650 pound range. Every animal was shot with the off-shoulder as a point of exit. The bullets produced one shot kills on every animal an in each case exited producing good blood trails. PH Chris Troskie commented that the bullet performed admirably and the hunter stated he has a new fondness for the 375 H&H. Since then the ammo has been further tested on two head of domestic free range cattle and they worked "splendidly", another common African descriptor. Frankly, my testing indicates that this bullet could benefit from more velocity. The trajectory, energy and penetration are a little better when the bullets are travelling 2450 fps. This velocity can be easily achieved using my exclusive powders with no increase in pressure. Northfork recently posted on another site some comparisons of their 350 grain (that Joe brainstormed, and I designed) and in their static testing the Northforks outperformed the same weight Rhino bullet. Other issues with the original batch included crimp grooves in the wrong spot on the soft and no crimp groove on the solids. This has been corrected and the new bullets are perfect for 375 H&H, Ruger, Rem Ultra Mag, Weatherby and 378 Weatherby. To be fair, I have a policy of full disclosure. I don't use fancy advertising slogans or famous spokespersons to sell my ammo. If I don't believe it is the best I don't make it. With that said, Joe still prefers the 380 gr Rhino on buffalo and Chris Troskie and their client agrred that is was impressive and produced a 1 shot kill. However, the components bullets are not made here and are virtually unavailable unless you bring small quantities back from RSA. I am confident that our cartridges with this bullet are the best 350 gr commercially loaded ammo available anywhere. Thanks.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006