OT- Knight closing doors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Knight closing doors

Post by Andrew »

Knight rifle company is closing it's doors. I guess from what I've read it was because of the slow down in the economy and they were not able to get any nibbles when they put it up for sale. Kind of sad, I always heard real good things about their products.

http://www.knightrifles.com/
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT- Knight closing doors

Post by AJMD429 »

I never would have expected that. They seem so popular. Never owned one, but they look very well made. Bummer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm a traditional fan, so was never interested in the modern stuff Knight made, but appreciated what they did and how many people they brought into the sport of muzzle-loading hunting. It's always a shame when a gun company has to call it quits. If you ever wanted one it is time to get one now - my bet is these are going to become popular guns on in second-hand market, with prices going up - not a lot - but more than what they were retail a few years ago.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Anytime an American Mfg or for that matter any Mfg of a fine gun company shuts its doors,Its a sad day for all of us!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yes it is sad. Too bad they couldn't transition into another type of firearm. They did try and got the single shot rifle route but I would have suggested something more on the order of a repeater...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Though I am a traditional ML fan, I own a Knight Big Horn. The BH 26" SS inline with the old style inline action (with the cocking knob in the rear) is the best of the best inline IMHO. In .50 cal. with Williams peep it will keep all its shots under 3" at 100 yd with an occasional 1 1/2" group thrown in.
Never cared for the bolt or lever action inlines and think that`s why they went down along with the bad times we all are putting up with. :o
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

First, I am not a fan of in-lines, but like a few have mentioned it is sad to hear of the demise of a US based mfg or even one in North America in general for that matter.

Did the recall have anything to do with it?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Knight had a huge sponsorship with Jim Shockey and Rogue River Outfitters. The return on investment for Knight was 3 fold. I don't know why but Jim Shockey took on Thompson/Center as a sponsor a few years ago. Ever since then, Knight has not had a strong spokesperson with a lot of influence in the industry. When the guy that has taken all N.A. 29 with the muzzleloader, and the Big 5 and all of Africa's spiral horned antelope, plus over 100 bears per year with clients using a muzzleloader - you better listen. He insists the TC is the best muzzleloader and he trusts his life to it, literally. Unfortunately for Knight, I think they were slow to change to break open designs, and I think they held on to their proprietary plastic primer cup for too long. The consumers were calling for easy open, easy load and easy clean and Knight was the last to incorporate all these features. They tried to come back with Tony Smotherman and the Travelling Hunter as a spokesperson, but he switched back and forth with centerfires and different models instead of becoming an authority with muzzleloaders and proving it by using one exclusively. The closing of Knight is a loss to the industry, but I don't think it is a huge surprise. It was obvious for some time what company was losing the market share and Knight did not respond well. The products were actually quite good but the marketing was not enough to influence and sway consumers from other brands.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I work in the retail sporting goods business. I am also so the buyer
for the hunting and fishing departments where I work.
The Muzzleloading market has been soft for several years.
I am also a traditional shooter, and currently have a desire for a flintlock, smoothbore buch n' ball gun.
We had not carried ANY traditional guns for the last 5 years.
In-line rifles do EVERYTHING better than sidelocks.
I feel they are building the guns too well these days.
Nobody is upgrading any more.
People went from their sidelocks, to T-bolts, to bolt actions, and then to the falling block or hinged action guns.
These new guns can show more than adequate hunting power and accuracy out to about 200 yards.
I almost think that Knight put themselves out of business by building their guns too well!!! My personal opinion, they were the best on the market!!!!!!!!!!
It is very sad to see them go. I will miss the quality of their products, and the pleasure it was doing business with them.
They were a "class act" company.
As one last note: due to very soft sales, I had to quit carrying ANY muzzleloading rifles or supplies at the store I work at.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

It is sad to hear about Knight. Years ago a guy I know bought a Knight DISC muzzleloader. He decided he didn't really like muzzleloading and practically gave it to me. They were high priced back then. I have killed a lot of deer with it and it hits them hard. I called Knight the other day to buy a couple hundred DISCs. The guy I talked to said they intended to keep making the accessories for two years and hoped by then someone will have bought them.