40-65 Advice for a "rookie"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Saz
Levergunner

40-65 Advice for a "rookie"

Post by Saz »

Here is the situation. I have finally talked my Dad into taking Grandpa's 1895 Marlin outta the mothballs and do something with it. It is a 40-65 and has been checked out by a gunsmith and he says it is fine to shoot. Dont worry, this rifle has seen its better days, but when you cycle the action it feels like it is on buttered bearings. Anyways, I shoot a lot of muzzleloaders and have lots of 2f and 3f Goex on hand, but I have never loaded any bp cartriges. I am going to slug the barrel, but need a little of help on where to start- how heavy, what molds have worked for others in the past etc. The goal is to plink with it for a while, and hunt with it a few times.

I never knew my grandpa, he passed away in 77 (I was 3 months old) and in a funny way this would be a small way of doing something for him. Dad said that rifle had claimed MANY whitetails and a few elk in its day and I would like to return it to its former duties. I have some brass already, but like I said I have never loaded bp cartirdges. Any advice would be greatly appretiated. I have lots of time to research and figure things out, due to me being in afganistan again. This is one thing I want to get a jump on as soon as I get home. Thank you.

Jimmy
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 40-65 Advice for a "rookie"

Post by J Miller »

Jimmy,

I know nothing of the 40-65 cartridge, but here is what I do when I come up with a cartridge I don't know about.

I research it to find out what the original factory load(s) is/was. Then I try to duplicate the most common of them.

This way you are more likely to stay within the ranges for which the rifle was designed for.

You'll need to stick with a black power compatible lube. SPG is the most known, but Don McDowell knows of a place that sells their lube for less and it's supposed to be just as good.

One of the books you might look for is Mike Venturinos book about loading for the old black powder cartridges. I don't know it's exact title.

It's really not that hard. In some ways it's simpler than loading smokeless powder.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Is it 40-"60" or 40-"65"?

You can buy ammo fairly cheap from these guys and they will reload the brass.
http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#obsolete
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Saz
Levergunner

Post by Saz »

It is a 40-65, and I would rather handload it myself. I have never loaded black powder cartridges before, and I know it is not rocket science. Just wondering if anyone out there has loaded for it in a levergun. Most of the data I have found is for sharps type rifles and 500gr+ bullets. I'm not even sure what the twist is in the rifleing, but i think the most common loads for them were in the 220-260gr range right?
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I don't know anything about Marlins but I can tell you what I found works with my original 1886 Wnchester in 40-65, The nominal bore size for 40-65 is 0.406 in but mine slugged at 0.408. I got a 40-65/280/RNFP from Magma Engineering and the bullets drop at 0.409 - .410 depending on casting temperature and alloy. I lube them with 60%beeswax/40% coconut oil poured staight into an RCBS Lubrisizer. I use Starline 40-65 brass with a magnum primer and as much Swiss 2F as I can get in with a 0.030in LDPE wad over the powder and 0.2in compression. Dies are RCBS Cowboy. Works for me but I can't guarantee that it will work for you.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jimmy,

I just found a copy of Handloader magazine from 2-2008, February-March issue. It has a 13 page r-tickle about loading the .40-65 written by Mike Venturino. I haven't read it so I don't know if it has anything that will help you. You might check around and see if you can find a copy. Or maybe contact the publisher.
The only contact info I found was:
Circulation Manager - circ@riflemagazine.com
Subscription Info - 1-800-899-7810
www.riflemagazine.com

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Save yourself a lot of work and money! Go to Track of the Wolf and buy the PMC cowboy loads of .40-65 for around $11 a box. Cheap and great ammo. You'll have the brass to reload and shoot again.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

marlinman93 wrote:Save yourself a lot of work and money! Go to Track of the Wolf and buy the PMC cowboy loads of .40-65 for around $11 a box. Cheap and great ammo. You'll have the brass to reload and shoot again.
Shhhhhh!! That's my secret stash.

Saz,
260 gr was the original factory loading for both W and M. You'll find molds / bullets in the 245 to 280 range. Most heavier ones will be spitzer/snover type single shot bullets. Venturino has load data in his Leverguns book for both smokeless and BP.

Another Handloader - the best issue of all time - is Handloader #214 - December 2001. There is an article by Ken Waters (Pet Loads) for the 40-65 loaded in an original Winny 1886. He tested two jacketed bullets and smokeless powders.

This is the BEST Handloader issue, because it also has the (famous) Steve Gash article for the Browning 71 / 348 , AND a Brian Pearce article for the 32-20. It is a levergunners dream.

There are actually quite a few 40-65 shooters on the forum, so hopefully you'll get some more good info.

I'm curious to hear what your rifle slugs at - be sure to let us know. There can be a bit of variance in the older rifles. I just acquired a Marlin 1881 (mfg 1890) that slugs at 0.414.

Have fun!
Chad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Remember fellows, Marlin called popular cartridges by other names as was the habit then. The .40-60 Marlin is the .40-65 Winchester. It seems to me that Blackpowder Cartridge News had an article or two on the cartridges.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:Remember fellows, Marlin called popular cartridges by other names as was the habit then. The .40-60 Marlin is the .40-65 Winchester. It seems to me that Blackpowder Cartridge News had an article or two on the cartridges.

In the original big bore Marlin , the "Model 1881" they called it the "40-60 Marlin" . In later years when they started manufacture of the "original" Model 1895 they just plain called it the 40-65 . I have an original Marlin model 1895 of 1896 vintage that is marked "40-65" on top of the barrel . They certainly made no mention of "WCF" and on the 1895 they didn't add "M" or "Marlin" either .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Senior Levergunner

Re: 45-70 Advice

Post by 2571 »

I made a drop tube from copper tubing and a metal kitchen funnel to get started. Don't use plastic because of static issues. I later had a copper set up maide by a metal shop.

Drop tube performs same function as dropping powder down ml barrel -- compacting powder. I know some guys compress powder in the casing but I'm not comfortable with doing that.

Let us know if you have difficulties getting Venturino books over there. Maybe you can borrow a book from one of us.

Stay safe.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

6pt-sika wrote:
Hobie wrote:Remember fellows, Marlin called popular cartridges by other names as was the habit then. The .40-60 Marlin is the .40-65 Winchester. It seems to me that Blackpowder Cartridge News had an article or two on the cartridges.

In the original big bore Marlin , the "Model 1881" they called it the "40-60 Marlin" . In later years when they started manufacture of the "original" Model 1895 they just plain called it the 40-65 . I have an original Marlin model 1895 of 1896 vintage that is marked "40-65" on top of the barrel . They certainly made no mention of "WCF" and on the 1895 they didn't add "M" or "Marlin" either .
Thanks for clarifying that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson