OT- Guitar strings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Guitar strings

Post by Andrew »

I have been playing a Fender Jazz Bass for some years now although only recently have I actually been putting in the time to make myself better. I've gotten to the point that I can tell what I like and what I don't and I like the Jazz Bass. What I do not like are the smooth wound strings our old music minister put on it. I went looking for a new set and was confronted with an amazment of choices. I don't care for anything fancy just a regular set of "mediums" or whatever would be great as long as they are not too bright or smooth like these; I think these are Elixrs but I am not positve. Heck, if anyone knows what they put on their guitars from the factory that would probably be just fine.

Any direction would be very helpfull, thanks.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Guitar strings

Post by Rusty »

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but on my banjo or my dulcimer I string them with Black Diamond strings. The reason is they made about 60 miles from me in Sarasota, Fla. They are nice folks and they support the community.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hey I always LIKED those smooth flat-wound strings, but I had a Fender Precision with an alder body. I think what you want are round wounds. The Fender Jazz Bass has a maple neck and body, gives a real punchy sound, and round wounds will bring out the overtones. I think Ernie Ball would be fine.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

These are what they are most likely strung with at the factory:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=101292

Although the following are worth a try also:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=101074

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=101126

Good luck!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

From the factory, The Standard Jazz bass (MIM) has: Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS

The American Jazz bass has: Super Bass 8250M NPS, p/n 073-8250-006,
Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E)

Whatever model of Jazz bass, the www.fender.com web site has the info on the original strings.

(I own a music store)

Gary