OT - New Hornady DGX & DGS Bullets. 45-70?? *pic*

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

OT - New Hornady DGX & DGS Bullets. 45-70?? *pic*

Post by jengel »

I just got my new 2008 Hornady catalog today and found a new DGX (Dangerous Game eXpanding) and DGS (Dangerous Game Solid) bullets. They all have a flat meplat for straight penetration. According to Steve Hornady, the DGS has a copper clad steel jacket material and the DGX has the same with a high antimony lead core. They do look really nice.

I could not find anything about them on the Hornady web site.

There is the .375" 300gr, .410" 400gr, .416" 400gr, .458" 480gr, .458" 500gr bullets in both DGX and DGS configurations each.

It looks like the cannelure will be too far back to seat in a 45-70. If you have a Lee Factory Crimp Die, it might not be a problem.

jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Comments?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jengal, I would be interested in the 375 diameter bullets for my 375 H&H AI if it weren't for the fact that half of CA (including where I live) will be going lead free in just a few months. I previously used some of Hornady's 300 grain soft nose boat-tail bullets, but the tips were so soft they would mangle under recoil while in the magazine. So, I moved on to other bullets like Woodleigh and Barnes. Since CA will shortly be going to "no lead" bullets, I'm having to redesign the loads in some of my rilfes so I can get the best results using Barnes bullets. :(

So, no sale here with the new Hornady bullets, sad to say.

-Tutt
leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

I wish Hornady would make a serious bullet like that solely for the 45/70, I can't bring myself to use their little 350gr's.
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

These are an effort to get Hornady back into the marketplace for people who want to shoot reliable bullets at dangerous game. In recent years....that market has been dominated by "Premium", bullet makers...mostly small companies, or at least smaller than Hornady. Barnes, Woodleigh,and North Fork come immediately to mind. (as an aside...Mike @ NorthFork has recently announced he is closing up his company) Hornady USED to offer their 500 gn. .458 solid with a steel jacket, and it had a good reputaion on large African game. They got away from that for a while...it's good to see they've brought it back. The flat meplat has a better reputation for straight line penetration on Elephant and Buffalo, if your rifle can feed them with ABSOLUTE reliability. When you got 2000 lbs. or so of upset off Cape Buffalo 15-20 yds away, and coming...it's no time to find out those flat points don't feed...!!
Congratulations Steve Hornady on these new additions..!! I'm going to be watching for some real-world field tests...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

guido4198 wrote:These are an effort to get Hornady back into the marketplace for people who want to shoot reliable bullets at dangerous game. In recent years....that market has been dominated by "Premium", bullet makers...mostly small companies, or at least smaller than Hornady. Barnes, Woodleigh,and North Fork come immediately to mind. (as an aside...Mike @ NorthFork has recently announced he is closing up his company) Hornady USED to offer their 500 gn. .458 solid with a steel jacket, and it had a good reputaion on large African game. They got away from that for a while...it's good to see they've brought it back. The flat meplat has a better reputation for straight line penetration on Elephant and Buffalo, if your rifle can feed them with ABSOLUTE reliability. When you got 2000 lbs. or so of upset off Cape Buffalo 15-20 yds away, and coming...it's no time to find out those flat points don't feed...!!
Congratulations Steve Hornady on these new additions..!! I'm going to be watching for some real-world field tests...
OH NO! Do you have a link for that? Yooo hooo....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Hobie wrote:
guido4198 wrote:These are an effort to get Hornady back into the marketplace for people who want to shoot reliable bullets at dangerous game. In recent years....that market has been dominated by "Premium", bullet makers...mostly small companies, or at least smaller than Hornady. Barnes, Woodleigh,and North Fork come immediately to mind. (as an aside...Mike @ NorthFork has recently announced he is closing up his company) Hornady USED to offer their 500 gn. .458 solid with a steel jacket, and it had a good reputaion on large African game. They got away from that for a while...it's good to see they've brought it back. The flat meplat has a better reputation for straight line penetration on Elephant and Buffalo, if your rifle can feed them with ABSOLUTE reliability. When you got 2000 lbs. or so of upset off Cape Buffalo 15-20 yds away, and coming...it's no time to find out those flat points don't feed...!!
OH NO! Do you have a link for that? Yooo hooo....
I hope that's not the case. I have heard a lot of good stuff about his bullets.