Strong box

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Strong box

Post by Charles »

I have what I can only discribe as a strong box or a safe. It is 24 X 15 X 15.5 with a door 21 X 12 in the top. The top, bottom and sides are made from two welded and riveted steel plates with a total of 3/8 inch thickness. The top is secured with a lock and a handle that throws two 3/4 inch bolts. It is one heavy dude that takes two men to carry when empty and they won't carry it far without setting it down and resting. I am guessing somewhere in the 150 pound range. It is painted an olive drab color. It also has a pair of lugs on top so it can also be locked with a padlock. On the inside of the lid is lable that reads:

Brown Steel Tank Co.
Minneapolis - 1942

Anybody run into one of these before or have any speculations as to it's origins and use. It for certain is a strong box of some kind.
Hobie

Re: Strong box

Post by Hobie »

Sounds like one form of the "company" safe used at the company level to store valuables, at least in garrison. Once upon a time every company had such a strong box or safe. Some soldiers kept their savings in there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

when i was in the 2ad at ft hood, we had similar 'strong boxes' to keep SOI-SSI, confidential communications coding machines and documents in.

they were easily transported when a unit made a move (deployed) and secure enough that they would be difficult to open by someone not authorized...(assuming they could get possesion)
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Yep its an old Army Safe! It may have an eye bolt on it somewhere or a ring. These frequently had a chain that ran from the safe to an eye bolt in the floor to keep it from being carried off.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”