OT Here's the new CCW and leather question?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Here's the new CCW and leather question?

Post by TedH »

Picked up the new G36 this afternoon. Hopefully I can get out to the range this week and wring it out with a couple hundred rounds before I start carrying it. Still need to shoot the new Single Six too.

I thought that the holster I had for the old G19 would work. I figured the G36 would be a little loose in it, but it's actually too tight. It gets tight about a quarter inch from the snaps meeting up. Would this type of leather reform to the G36 if I were to soak it in water and stretch the G36 into it? Or would I be better off to sell this holster and buy the correct one? It's not lacking very much at all from fitting. What's the proper method for softening and reforming it?

NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Here's the new CCW and leather question?

Post by madman4570 »

Ted,
I know that gun has alot of composite material and a coating on the metal parts but would that possibly discolor or do any type damage to that nice new glock putting it in a wet leather holster?

The gun looks sharp! :mrgreen:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've heard of people doing that with the gun inside a ziplock freezer bag, but I've never tried it myself.

I certainly wouldn't put just the gun in a wet holster. :shock: :D
NRA Life Member
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Whats the difference between a G36 and a G30 ? :?
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:Whats the difference between a G36 and a G30 ? :?
4 rounds of ammo and a fat grip...

Ted: When it comes to mini-glocks, I cannot recommend a CTAC or MTAC holster enough.

I know the leather is well used, but that gun really needs a Kydex Tuckable rig...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Glocks...?

Kydex...?!?

Lord, have mercy...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Buck Elliott wrote:Glocks...?

Kydex...?!?

Lord, have mercy...

Some of us are well rounded firearms enthusiasts. Here ya go Buck, will this make you feel better? :D

OI, you are exactly right. I was just wondering if I could salvage my Don Hume.
NRA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Thanks. I needed that...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there TedH - Where is it binding? Is the front of the trigger guard snug up against the stitching. If that's the case it prolly won't stretch to fit. If there is still room for the gun to get deeper in the holster, you might get lucky soaking and stretching it. Try wrapping the gun in multiple layers of Sahran Wrap to keep the moisture off. I think it's less bulky than ziplock bags. Soak the area to be stretched in warm tap water for about 10 minutes. You could soak the retaining strap too. Gently force the gun in the holster and snap the strap. Let it dry overnight as a unit. The soaking time is a variable, and I'd recommend soaking again as to soaking to long the first time. Hope this helps. Good luck. Wind
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:I've heard of people doing that with the gun inside a ziplock freezer bag, but I've never tried it myself.

I certainly wouldn't put just the gun in a wet holster. :shock: :D
I have. I reshaped a generic holster to fit my Armi San Marco "Walker Dragoon" years ago. It was pretty simple. I coated the Dragoon in Rig, and wrapped it tight in SARAN wrap. I soaked the holster then inserted the gun into it. I had smoothed and rounded the handle-end of an old tooth brush. I used this to rub the holster with the gun in it, smoothing it out and shaping it as I worked. Once satisfied, I placed it on a counter (not in direct heat) to dry overnight. The gun was unharmed and I got a cool, snug-fitting holster! :D

Ted, I thought that looked like a Don Hume. I have several of them. They are pretty reasonably priced, and as this is for a CCW weapon, I think I'd take the G-19 holster to my local gun store and see what they would give me for a holster specifically made for your new gun. May not be much, but it would probably be better to have one that is a perfect fit for a gun you may end up using to save yourself or a loved one!

Good luck - let us know what you decide!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

madman4570 wrote:Ted,
I know that gun has alot of composite material and a coating on the metal parts but would that possibly discolor or do any type damage to that nice new glock putting it in a wet leather holster?

The gun looks sharp! :mrgreen:

There would not be a chance of any damage. I don't know precisely what finish Glock uses on metal, but it is darned near impervious to anything. Still, if you're worried about damage, putting the gun in a Ziploc works just fine.

BTW, I have a 36 with night sights that is a wonderful carry gun.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nice addition. hope it functions well for you, they usually do. I would do the Kydex carry rig for that one.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Chances are high that the holster will form to the G36 and that the piece will be un-harmed. I formed a holster for a 2.5 inch 19 Smith to fit my 3 inch Mod 29 Smith. Put some Saran wrap around it and soak the holster in rubbing alcohol, not water. Worked a treat.

Cat
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I soaked the Don Hume holster in the sink last night. Started with 10 minutes and tried to push the ziplocked Glock all the way home. No go. Soaked for another 10 min, still wouldn't quite go all the way. Another 10 minutes and it squeezed right into place. Left it in the holster overnight and most of today to dry. Worked like a champ! If you didn't know better you'd think it was made for this gun.

I'm still going to look into getting a CTAC for it too, when funds allow.
NRA Life Member