.38 WCF Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

.38 WCF Question.

Post by 336A »

I hope that some here more knowledgable than I can help me out here. Just how popular was the .38 WCF as a pistol round with Lawmen and the general populace on western frontier?
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .38 WCF Question.

Post by bogus bill »

I belive I read that out of the many caliber or cartridges available in the colt saa, it was 3rd, .45, 44 WCF, then .38 WCF. Also in winchesters I belive close to the same. They were popular!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .38 WCF Question.

Post by Hillbilly »

I have read in several sources that the 38-40 was considered a "hard hitter" and was pretty popular with lawmen in the SAA era.

I can see why... it's actually a .40 caliber slug... and in smokeless gets close to 40SW performance.

Next affordable one I come across is mine.... watched a $1200 Colt go for $2800 in a live auction bidding war last year... the late fellows '73 Winchester (38-40 too) brought a bit more.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun