Remington slides

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Remington slides

Post by KWK »

I handled one of these for the first time last week. It was a well worn 760 in .30-06. I don't believe I've ever worked a smoother rifle action, at least not in a repeater. While I still find the 1886 more intriguing and certainly better looking, I admit a certain attraction to the Remington. What are the pros and cons to this action?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington slides

Post by Rusty »

Compared to?

To a bolt gun, it is faster for a follow up, but it is also more picky about ammo. You don't have any mechanical advantage to help lever in or lever out sticky cases. How's that for a start?'m sure others will have their point of view as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's why you use factory ammo, or hand loaded ammo that's been full length resized in them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Its all a matter of preference.
Those Remington 760 Gamemasters are very fine/accurate rifles.That 30-06 caliber is fantastic.Would I choose it over a good lever?
No! But it is a great gun in its own rights.
Pros--Fast/fairly light/reliable Cons---really cant think of any!
Why not get it if it fits you and put it with your Lever guns.
Right now if I were to buy only 1 rifle it would be the SS Marlin XLR in 45/70 :mrgreen: For me that gun about does it all!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I've had several Remington 760s and they have all been good rifles. I currently have two -- one of which is a first year, first month (February 1952) Gamemaster rifle in .30-06. The second one is a Gamemaster with Basketweave pattern made in 1966.

If you reload for one, it is best if you full length resize your brass. I've never had any problems feeding any factory ammon in a 760.

Their chambers are a little thin and they do heat up a bit but that has never been a problem for me.
ED
Yer never too old
Gene Dip
Levergunner

Post by Gene Dip »

That was the firearm and cartridge of choice of the famous Benoit family of Vermont. http://www.benoitsbigbucks.com/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The only Remington pumps, other than 870s, that are still around here are a .35 Model 14 and a .25-20 Model 25R. Both are very smooth and are excellent shooters. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

This is probably going to shock some members of this forum, but I think if the pump rifle guns had received the same attention to detail and function design that levers did, we may be calling this site pumpguns.com.

OK, now that the shock factor is over and the flames will follow - I like a good pump rifle. Don't hurt me too bad. :o

The Remington is a good servicable rifle, but in my humble opinion the magazine is the flaw. It just is not up to the quality we would hope for.

I have a Browning Pump Rifle (BPR) that is a good as I could hope for. I would buy anyone of them that I could find in 30-06 and that I could afford. :P

In a real tight situation, I find that I can recover from shot to shot a little more confident and faster with the pump over a lever. I find that I do not have to unshoulder the pump as much as most of the lever guns to cycle a round. I make this assumption based on longer range hunting type shots and not close up speed shooting.

Now the bad part. The pump rifles tend to be a little more complicated in design and takedown.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I find that with a SHORT-throw levergun the gun barely moves and facilitates a fast accurate followup shot but that would not be the case with the pump action involving such forend activity.

Also kind of like whether you use left foot on brake for automatic transmissions, or keep all the action with the right foot - people have different degrees to which they want to have to coordinate both sides of the brain.

It is also just what we get used to - no matter HOW much I prefer lever action rifles and carbines, I'd not particularly want a leveraction SHOTGUN for serious social purposes. Somehow it just wouldn't feel right. :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I had long wondered how one would use the forend to help pull the rifle into your shoulder. To my surprise I found there is a lock that keeps the forend forward until after the hammer flies. I imagine that in recoil, enough tension is released from this lock to allow it to disengage. My initial impressions were "super smooth" and "there's got to be a lot of parts inside." I found some disassembly diagrams on the web, and the parts count isn't all that bad. Still, if I had to plunk down money today, it would be the 1886 extra-light I handled the same day -- very nice balance.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I am also one partial to pump guns, esp. Remington 760/7600 series. I have shoot handfuls of these rifles and I have yet to find one that I would rate un-accurate. I own only one, but it is a pure and simple deer hunting gun. A Remington 7600 carbine that was magna-ported to reduce muzzle lift and chambered in 30-06. It wears a Leupold 2-7x in low mounts. This rifle shoots the lights out of some bolt guns and is quick to follow-up a miss (not that it happens much, but it can)
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Those pump model Remingtons have been on the job a long time, and it's true that the Benoits up in Maine are about the most serious deer hunters around, bagging dozens of them with the pump Remington. I like the style of the gun, but suppose I would enjoy the semi-auto version of that style if I were buying, just because I have no semi-auto rifle in center fire. If I did it, I'd want a 35 Whelen, preferring a mid 30 to a '06.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

The only 760 I have delt with was from a co-workers son. It is a .223 caliber that he inherited from his Granddad. The problem was he couldn't get the action to open far enough for the bolt to pick up a cartridge. He brought it to me and and I popped the trigger-hammer group out, and inside the action to the rear of the bolt recess was a loaded .223. How it got there is a mystery. Fortunately the bullet was pointed forward instead of the primer as this may have prevented an unwanted discharge inside of the receiver. It was a very slick working rifle after that and accurate.
UNITE
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bruce said:
The Remington is a good servicable rifle, but in my humble opinion the magazine is the flaw. It just is not up to the quality we would hope for.
I've heard that but I have never had a problem with a Pump action rifle magazine and I've not heard of a problem from anyone I know that has one. Now the semi-auto rifle had some issues with the magazines but careful tweaking of the magazine limps eliminated all problems.

One thing that may cause a problem with magazines is using a pump action magazine in a semi-auto and vice versa. There is a subtle difference between the two magazines but either will work in each type of rifle in a pinch.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have only shot 2 pump rifles: A Rem in .35 Rem and a Savage 170 in .30-30.

The savage was looser/more like a shotty. The Rem was tight and nicely accurate.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have an early 50's 760 30-06 plus a 7400 in 35 whelen. Both guns shoot as good (probably more accurately) than any of the lever actions I own. The big advantage I see is the ability to use 'pointy' bullets, thus getting better long range performance. I magazines are definately more difficult to deal with. I use just about everything actually.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KWK,

Just get that pump!! They are Great guns! You can take anything in NA with it!

Earlier I said if I had to get one rifle(could only have 1)it would be the Marlin XLR BUT If I could only have 1 gun period it would be whether new or not my Ithaca Deerslayer 18" "PUMP"

Pumps are extremely fast!!! You want it/get it :)
Put it this way,I love that pump gun so much just "an hour ago" I just dropped $105(they wanted $125)on another mint smoothbore 20" Ithaca Deerslayer Barrel w/rifle sights.In case I ever wear out my first one which will never happen! :wink:
Brant
Levergunner

Post by Brant »

Always wanted one in 308.
Have a friend that only has one rifle, (GASP) it is a 760 30-06. ou had rather kiss a bulldog wearing a kitty Kat mask than try and take it.

Brant
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Brant,

Several years back one of the Rifle Clubs in here in Pa put on this 50 yard any gun(.223 up)and any scope etc. offhand shoot 5rds@1min no sling though.

There were people from all over this part of the country including some former shooters that were part of the team that the prior year won National Team Comp. in New Mexico.
I had a good day a was in the finals,a score of 47(thats a big deal because some of these guys are Legends )the ten ring was the size of an golf ball etc.Remember its timed.Guess who beat me???
This young guy (a farm kid that you could of set off an ash can next to him and I dont think he would have jumped)I thought to myself he is going down right now looking at his Farm Deer Gun. :lol:
Guess what? He sent me packing(go home pal see ya :evil: )
What was he shooting---A Remington 760 gamemaster .270 with a 3x9 Leupold Gold Ring (I sometimes have nightmares on that one)
Ok I want a ring check here please?? Score 48 Sorry pal your beat! :oops:
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I had a 7600 chambered in .35 Whelen. I was one good shooter. The only potential down side i see would be the trigger. I was lucky, the trigger on my gun cleaned up nicely. Lots of upside, free floated barrel, very strong action, able to handle pointy bullets to name just a few. Good Luck, 1886.