Star Trek

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Star Trek

Post by JReed »

Went and saw it with the family tonight. It rocks!!! I was a big fan of the shows and watched all the previous movies and must say I wasn't disappointed. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Star Trek

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Well Good,..I was hoping it would be at least decent. I guess I'll go see it now since it is not a lemon. Thanks for the report.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the review. I was going to see it anyway, but it's nice to know it doesn't suck.

Live long and prosper. :D
Old Law Dawg
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Could I take my 9 year old to see it?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd like to go see it, but I doubt I'd talk the girls into it. Might have to wait till it hits the DVDs.
NRA Life Member
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BenT wrote:Could I take my 9 year old to see it?
I heard the love scenes were a little above a 9 yr. old.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

marlinman93 wrote:
So they are little different than Captian Kirk's in the original series. :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

marlinman93 wrote:
I took my 9 and 7 year old boys to see it and they both liked it. The one love scene everyone had their underwear on and it was not a long scene at all.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy,

How long is the movie?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

About 2 hours.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks.

JOe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

marlinman93 wrote: I heard the love scenes were a little above a 9 yr. old.
No, not at all. There is no flesh (beyond a bikini)...no "sexual content"...no language, ...no etc. It lasts all of 10 seconds.

Don't hesitate to take your kids to it...it's a good show!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I can't wait!

Gonna be next weekend before I get time to see it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

TedH wrote:I'd like to go see it, but I doubt I'd talk the girls into it. Might have to wait till it hits the DVDs.
BTW, my 12-yr and 15-yr old girls loved it! They thought Jim Kirk was cute. :roll:

Now, they can't wait to see the original series and movies. More converts!! :D

The action, humor and character development makes it more than just a guy action flick.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Spent Friday and Saturday with Y2K at his archery nationals. Sunday (today) being Mother's day, I knew I'd be in the dog house if I skipped out to see the movie. Mrs. YK doesn't do science fiction. :( Next weekend is Boy Scout stuff and one of the raw Sunday travel days for work. :( :( It's killing me that I can't go out and see this flick yet, and will probably have to wait until the end of the month!!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Don't worry Jay its worth the wait.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good Flick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worth seeing for sure.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Ma wanted to see it for Mothers Day...and I've always been a ST fan....(I am surprised at how many rednecks on here are Trekkies though)....I wasn't disappointed..It was a fun filled family afternoon which everyone enjoyed, even the 6 year old! Now the kids are looking through some of the old series online.

Ed
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Ladies & gents,

I was reading some comments on this movie on another forum. Here is what I said:

"Good people,

Strictly out of curiosity, and warm feelings for the original series, I want to see this movie. ...but the "alternate timeline" gimmick ran sour years ago. I find that alternate timelines have become a crutch for writers who cannot figure out how to continue an established narrative. Jumping through "multiverses" is all the rage, and rewriting an established vision of how the future is to look is hack. For example, the best thing that happened to "Star Trek Enterprise" was the appearance of the Defiant from the original Star Trek series. The "NX" Enterprise looked too much like the ships in the modern Trek movies & series, even though it was "the original" Enterprise. The original Defiant was supposed to be the decendant of ships that looked simpler, and "old-school futuristic", not ships that were "modern futuristic". The NX-001 Enterprise should have folowed the old patern of design, instead of a re-imagined plan.

I long for a new Star Trek. I would love a "beginnings" prequel with the look, feel, ideology and good storytelling of the original series' first dozen episodes, but with the appropriate older-looking, period-correct costumes & ships.

...still, I will go see what all of the fuss is about, with this new Trek...
"

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I agree with the reviewer that the parallel universe hack is a disappointment, as is the style of the ship in the current movie. Still, it was an enjoyable show. I think they could have done better, but it was hardly bad. I hope they make a few more movies with this "new" crew.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I wonder how many movies would have come out of ST if the original show hadn't gotten to its second season.....which it almost didn't.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

KWK wrote:I agree with the reviewer that the parallel universe hack is a disappointment, as is the style of the ship in the current movie.
I also agree that the time-warp-jumping thing left a sour taste in my mouth, as did the unresolved paradox(s) ('nuff said -- no spoilers here). I would have preferred to see a true prequel, that seamlessly flowed into the Original Series. Right now, there is no way to resolve the two (without another movie that ties them together).
On the spacecraft, I don't see how they could have updated the ship, since this was to be the maiden voyage of the Enterprise. It needed to appear like the one in the show and movies -- not an updated version that would be ahead of its time. Or am I missing something in what you were trying to say?
BTW, I also vote for another movie or two with this cast. It's amazing how much their mannerisms and speech patterns are reminiscent of the original cast!
Last edited by alnitak on Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:I wonder how many movies would have come out of ST if the original show hadn't gotten to its second season.....which it almost didn't.
Yep, they had more than a million letters written by fans to save it. From Wikipedia --

"Towards the end of the second season, too, the show was in danger of cancellation. This time the show was saved by an unprecedented write-in mail campaign spearheaded by a collection of science fiction fans of the show, most notably Bjo Trimble, and who succeeded in getting more than one million letters of support written to NBC corporate to save the show. The letters were written in such a way that NBC corporate, not a fan service, had to open and read them all, which severely challenged NBC's mail handling department. One NBC official indicated that one hundred and fifty thousand would have been enough to do the trick. NBC actually came on the air after Star Trek, one episode, and announced that the show had been renewed and to please stop writing them. Which, of course, prompted letters of thanks... in similar numbers and similar conditions requiring specific corporate attention."

It's in the Guiness Book of Records for the number of shows it has spawned, and now has its 11th movie out. An amazing feat for such a short-lived series, one with a limited, but devoted, fan base.

Just thinking about the 11 movies, I can only think of Tarzan and James Bond that have more. Am I missing any?
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

No Spoiler area
I thought the production was great. Nice choices all around for the crew. I thought that several really carried off the persona of the characters that they would later become and those who didn't so much at least had the seeds of those characters well laid.

Warning
This post mentions some things that have already been mentioned in this thread, but tread on spoiler territory.
Warning

The parallel timeline/universe ploy was the only "wish they didn't do that" part of the movie for me. I understand why they did it. It was so they could open up a whole new bunch of movies without being tied to what you already know about the charters and the whole who-will-live trap we fall into on prequels.

I lived the behind-the-scenes of the inner workings of the ship that we got to take a peek at. They make good sense, but we never got to see them in the original series.

I would give the Star Trek (2009) movie... 4.5 tribbles out of 5. The loss of half a tribble was for the parallel timeline. I would have rather they did a true to Trek prequel and maybe make a couple more Enterprise prequels or go for back stories of other ST ships or events that were alluded to in the series as being important.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I enjoyed the show, but agree with mklwhite.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

alnitak wrote:On the spacecraft, I don't see how they could have updated the ship, since this was to be the maiden voyage of the Enterprise.
The ship in this movie overall has the more zoomy, rounded shape of the later movies. In the series, the nacelles were placed on straight, spindly struts, and I would have thought this shape would have been copied for this movie.

I liked that the ship has more the look of an aircraft carrier inside -- not cushy. I thought the cooling turbines scene a bit anachronistic, but it did make for a more functional looking interior. The series ship looked a bit like a motel inside.

The scenes of the ship being assembled outside in plains of Iowa was interesting, but I think the assembly dock in space used in the first movie was more likely.

Nit-picking, of course -- it was an enjoyable show.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

KWK wrote:The ship in this movie overall has the more zoomy, rounded shape of the later movies. In the series, the nacelles were placed on straight, spindly struts, and I would have thought this shape would have been copied for this movie.

Yep, agreed. But I can live with that minor difference since it still tied into "an image" of the ship from the series, and provided some continuity.

I liked that the ship has more the look of an aircraft carrier inside -- not cushy. I thought the cooling turbines scene a bit anachronistic, but it did make for a more functional looking interior. The series ship looked a bit like a motel inside.

LOL -- true.

The scenes of the ship being assembled outside in plains of Iowa was interesting, but I think the assembly dock in space used in the first movie was more likely.

I agree. I doubt that the structural integrity would be maintained in the gravitation field of Earth. Space makes much more sense. Funny, I just watched the first movie again last night, and had the same thought when the scenes came on.

Nit-picking, of course -- it was an enjoyable show.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

As one who watched the original series at 7PM with my family and then watched them again over and over as a kid and young teen, I really liked the movie.

Took my 18 and 15 year old boys with me - they liked it too. My 18 year old had lots of questions about the old series as to how it ties in with the movie :)

I could pick on some of the things - already mentioned but I choose to just enjoy it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I'm with Jreed on this one. A darn good movie.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Know what Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

They both go 'round Uranus searching for Klingons :lol: :lol: :lol:

An oldie but a goodie. Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I liked the movie. Action packed from beginning to end.

I didn't mind the "re-telling" of the beginning of the Star Trek saga, but there are some portions of the original that truly do add to the story, one of which is Kirk's biography and path to assuming command of the USS Enterprise. He didn't fall into the captain's chair, he earned it. He wasn't a flaky rogue genius, he was a a serious student who was also a genius. There are similar changes and recharacterizations of the other leading characters.

But... I liked it. I liked it a lot. Good story, good acting, good effects.

Well worth the money to see it on the big screen.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Finally got to see it this afternoon.
Kid # 2 and I went and really enjoyed it. I honestly don't think there was a slow spot in the whole movie.
Best Sci-Fi movie I've seen in forever!
love the way they worked the main characters into the story. The kid that plays Mr. Scott was priceless and
I think the kid that played Mr. Spock is a Lenord Nimoy clone!

looking forward t the next one!!

jb 8)

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

2ndovc wrote:Finally got to see it this afternoon.
Kid # 2 and I went and really enjoyed it. I honestly don't think there was a slow spot in the whole movie.
Best Sci-Fi movie I've seen in forever!
love the way they worked the main characters into the story. The kid that plays Mr. Scott was priceless and
I think the kid that played Mr. Spock is a Lenord Nimoy clone!

looking forward t the next one!!

jb 8)
The guy that played Spock is on the show Heroes he plays the main bad guy. I knew he was perfect for the role when I heard he was doing it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

2ndovc wrote:..."The kid that plays Mr. Scott was priceless"...
You should watch him in Shawn of the Dead.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

The wife and I both really enjoyed it.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

mklwhite wrote:
2ndovc wrote:..."The kid that plays Mr. Scott was priceless"...
You should watch him in Shawn of the Dead.

Love that movie. Can never remember his name..

jb 8)

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I finally went to see it.

I do NOT have problems with the paralell universe meme. It is a Star Trek Staple firmly rooted in the old series with Mirror-Mirror (episode 33).

My only real issue was less Technical or "theological" as it was Tactical.

Ain't no way the bad guys could set up over Earth without fighting Star Base 1 - fleet or no fleet. Star Bases are designed to protect whole systems WITHOUT support...

Couple that with the annoying tendancy of humans to attack the enemy with whatever tools are at hand, and bad boy's ship would be swarming with shuttlecraft and repair drones weilding cutting torches.

(Technical annoyance... shooting a plasma lance into water is pointless. Nothing would be accomplished without boiling away the entire ocean first...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote:I finally went to see it.

I do NOT have problems with the paralell universe meme. It is a Star Trek Staple firmly rooted in the old series with Mirror-Mirror (episode 33).

My only real issue was less Technical or "theological" as it was Tactical.

Ain't no way the bad guys could set up over Earth without fighting Star Base 1 - fleet or no fleet. Star Bases are designed to protect whole systems WITHOUT support...

Couple that with the annoying tendancy of humans to attack the enemy with whatever tools are at hand, and bad boy's ship would be swarming with shuttlecraft and repair drones weilding cutting torches.

(Technical annoyance... shooting a plasma lance into water is pointless. Nothing would be accomplished without boiling away the entire ocean first...)
Okay - OI beats me in the "Star-Nerd" department (my wife's term for me and anything Sci-Fi).

I saw it with Y2K over Memorial Day weekend. I enjoyed it a lot - and so did he. I thought they did a good job tying in a lot of references through the original series and some of the movies and follow-up series. The seasoned Treker would thus enjoy it; someone who is new to the series would enjoy it. The "Trekie" would pick it apart - but they were never going to please them anyway. I do wish that William Shatner would have had some brief cameo. Like others, I would have preferred the original style ship (on the exterior anyway) with modern special effects. Kirk being the extremely studious over-achiever would have been more to my liking, but the shift caused by the change in the time line does explain that - and allows them to launch a whole new series of movies - a good trade off as far as I am concerned.

Would have liked to have seen a leveraction in the movie though! :wink:
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Ysabel Kid wrote: I thought they did a good job tying in a lot of references through the original series and some of the movies and follow-up series.
Agreed. However, I wish they stayed true on some aspects, rather than changing the "facts" for entertainment sake. For example, as the story unfolds in the second Star Trek movie, Kirk actually received a commendation for beating the Kobayashi Maru -- not brought up on cheating charges (although the eating of an apple while taking the test was a nifty connection to ST II and the scene where he tells Saavik about his test). Some things with Pike were off, etc. But overall, I agree they did a nice job of transitioning.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

alnitak wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote: I thought they did a good job tying in a lot of references through the original series and some of the movies and follow-up series.
Agreed. However, I wish they stayed true on some aspects, rather than changing the "facts" for entertainment sake. For example, as the story unfolds in the second Star Trek movie, Kirk actually received a commendation for beating the Kobayashi Maru -- not brought up on cheating charges (although the eating of an apple while taking the test was a nifty connection to ST II and the scene where he tells Saavik about his test). Some things with Pike were off, etc. But overall, I agree they did a nice job of transitioning.
See, I didn't have any problem with that since the entire Earth timeline was altered by the destruction of the Kelvin.

(FWIW, the history of Mirror Mirror also hinges on a single confrontation. Depending on which backstory you read either Zefram Cochrane makes peace/kills the Vulcans (backstory A) or the first encounter with the Romulans was lost and earth breifly conqured by the Romulans (backstory B) either one lead to the Terran Empire (and eventually Emperor Tiberius (Kirk) with Mirror Spock leading the Revolt... (Books) or being relieved of command by Mirror Spock who was fomenting the Revolt (DS9))

Pike is still in a wheelchair (though not radiation deformed), significant events will unfold, some possibly semi canonical (the rest of the galaxy would be relatively unaffected except for the Federation (we saw that) and the Kilngon Empire - who also lost a whole fleet. (Setting the stage for a much earlier Klingon/Romulan war &/or no KR class Romulan starship (TOS)?)

Amok Time will obviously not be possible, but it is also unnecessary (wink wink). But most of TOS canon could be reworked if necessary. (Though with the Farragut being destroyed some other shifting will be necessary too.)

As far as trying to do a TOS canon "youth" series... IMO it would be uniformly boring. Kirk had only one interesting thing happen to him as a youth (two if you count the novels) when he only barely avoided execution when the planet he was visiting had a plague (Concience of the King, TOS).

No, I think this was probably the best way to "revision" the series. The Septumvirate of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu (and Checkov) in concert is what made TOS work and the (lack of) make later series work somewhat less well IMO...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

wow........... you guys are in waaaay too deep ! ;) :mrgreen:

I just mostly enjoyed the new flic for what it is - except for Spock having a "relationship" was strange IMHO - and with Ahoura (sp ?), of all people ? ?

How many of you noticed a levergun in the Kirk flashback/youth footage ? :roll:

AWWWW ! Now, you're gonna have to go back for another looksee. :P :P