Got a rare old 44-40 levergun (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Got a rare old 44-40 levergun (photo)

Post by KirkD »

A friend of mine made the 6 hour trip over to my place this past weekend to do some serious shooting. We got to the range about 10:00 am on Saturday and shot until 5:30 pm, taking an hour off for lunch. He also brought a pile of nice old Winchesters. When he left this afternoon, he had one of my old '86s (octagon barrel, half mag made in 1904) and I had acquired two of his old Winchesters. One of them is a '76, highlighted in my other recent thread 'Two Old Pards Ride Again' http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=17259. When I saw how good that old rifle shot, I could not resist it. I've wanted a '76 .45-60 increasingly badly ever since I traded my other one off about 3 years ago.

The 44-40 is an original Winchester Model 53 made in 1927. This is a sweet little rifle! I saw an article years ago about the Model 53 44-40 and now I finally have one. The Model 53 was made in 25-20, 32-20, and 44-40. The 44-40 is very rare and doggone hard to find. According to Madis, there were only a total of 3,293 44 W.C.F. Model 53's made. I now have both the 25-20 and 44-40 and only need the 32-20 (Rangerider, if you are ever thinking of parting with your Model 53 32 W.C.F., please keep me in mind). Here's a photo of my two Model 53's. The top one is the 25-20 and the bottom one is my 'new' 44-40 ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Got a rare old 44-40 levergun (photo)

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, this is too much. What a collection of shooters!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Got a rare old 44-40 levergun today (photo)

Post by KirkD »

Sometimes when it rains, it pours. I was sorry to see that old '86 go, but I already had the old takedown in 45-70 as well as my Springfield 1888, and trading the '86 made the acquisition of both the '76 and the 53 possible. Also, the past few weeks I've sold my Model 65 and my Winchester 1892 .38-40, which all helped to get the two rifles I got this weekend ..... and I've got a chunk of cash left over!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool, a pair working on three of a kind.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

What year is the 25-20? Those two 53's look like they are in comparable shape, nice shape that is!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very nice Kirk, I know you will enjoy them. The groundhogs had better lay low this summer.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

KirkD, for sure mine would fit in nicely, but I like it too. They are the most fun to carry and shoot. If I sell or trade it you will be the first to know. Great addition!
"That'll Be The Day"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

OOOH I like them :D :!: :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

salvo wrote:What year is the 25-20? Those two 53's look like they are in comparable shape, nice shape that is!
Salvo, the 25-20 is a first year model .... 1925 if I recall correctly.

Rangerider, I know the feeling. These little Model 53's are light, fast and handy.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

pokey wrote:cool, a pair working on three of a kind.
+ 1 Great looking guns :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like that button mag 53, Kirk !

The .32-20 Model 1892 rifle I had two years ago had a button mag, and looked exactly like a Model 53 - which is what I had thought I bought for $700, until I looked closer.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pete44ru wrote:I like that button mag 53, Kirk !

The .32-20 Model 1892 rifle I had two years ago had a button mag, and looked exactly like a Model 53 - which is what I had thought I bought for $700, until I looked closer.
I like those Model '92 button mags too. Aside from some cosmetic differences in the buttstock, the main difference is in barrel length. The Model '92 tends to have a 24" barrel as standard, whereas the Model 53 has a standard 22" barrel. I'd be happy to settle for either and for an old geezer like myself, a longer barrel gets that front sight out there a bit further so I can see it. However, I find I can shoot well enough with this 22" barrel. I'll be posting a detailed range report on my Model 53 44 W.C.F. sometime this summer.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Son of a gun Kirk - it looks like those two were owned all their lives by the same person, using them about the same amount, in the same condition. Talk about a sweet pair. I hope you get a chance to add the .32-20 to the mix!!! :D
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Kirk,
Very nice acquisition! That caliber is harder than hens teeth to find in the 53. Be sure to give us the range report when you get some load work done.

Ed
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really neat. Hope you get your third for the set.
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Boy oh BOY, you have some nice rifles there Kirk!
Man, I hope you have a top notch Gunsafe,
Big Bucks there!!