OT - Need valid loading data for FA M97 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Need valid loading data for FA M97 45 Colt

Post by Naphtali »

I just got a Freedom Arms M97 45 Colt with 4.25-inch barrel. I called Freedom to identify any restrictions or problems reloading for the M97. According to FA, any load for the Ruger Blackhawk revolvers is safe to use in M97 -- so long as cartridge overall length is not greater than 1.600 inches. My handgun powders are Titegroup and H110. I strongly prefer to avoid using something else. I use CCI large pistol primers and Winchester brass.

Okay, people, I want to create 45 Colt loads for the M97 that use 300-grain bullets or heavier whose purpose is grizzly protection -- that is, to be fired for practice under 100 times per year. I don't want to torture myself. But were I to need a boomer load, I want it to be in the cylinder. Rifling rate of twist is satisfactory for bullets as heavy as 360 grains.

I cannot use Hodgdon's loading data identified as safe in Ruger Blackhawks because overall length exceeds 1.600 inches. Two commercial 300-grain bullets can be loaded within the 1.600-inch limit. If -- when -- I identify loading parameters for 300+-grain bullets, I intend to create a Mountain Mold bullet mold with correct nose-to-crimp length for the M97.

Regarding creating safe loading parameters for heavy bullets with Titegroup and/or H110 with overall length not greater than 1.600 inches, I'm out of my depth. I need assistance.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Need valid loading data for FA M97 45 Colt

Post by J Miller »

Naphtalij,

Beartooth bullets offers several 300 gr bullets. One of which a 300gr WFN is specifically listed as suitable for use in FA 97s. 9th one down on their .45 Colt / Casull list.

Beartooth also has a load data section and a toll free number. Marshall Stanton has helped me in the past with load data and bullet information.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Might want to give him a try.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Need valid loading data for FA M97 45 Colt

Post by JReed »

Here is an article by our own Paco Kelly. The loads he lists should work fine for you. I have used a few in my Rugers with good results but your mileage may vary. Start low and work up. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis