OT: Browning LH A-bolt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Browning LH A-bolt

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Found a LH Abolt in 308W. I realize this is the wrong place to ask for advice on not to buy a rifle. Have a week to think about it. Always wanted a LH bolt and have 1000 308 brass. So why should I not buy it , other than not being a lever?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Browning LH A-bolt

Post by Rusty »

I'm a southpaw but I've learned to shoot everything lefthanded except shotguns. I have that left eye dominance thing going on and it makes it too hard to hit with a shotgun.

The only down side as I see it would be resale if you ever needed to. I solved the problem by going to a Ruger #1.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Consider the following:

A. The .308 is a nifty deer round.
B. The Browning is a nifty bolt gun.

Therefore, If you want one, and have the available cash, I see no reason why you should not buy the rifle.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

It may be a difficult thing for someone to talk you out of it if you have even a tiny bit of interest in the rifle. I have never fired a Browning Bolt Rifle, but I have a BLR , and have had a BAR in the past. Both rifles shot way under an inch, and I would love to see what a Browning Bolt can do! :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Are you done with your gunshop tour already? Or is the top gun of interest so far?
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

As a Lefty,..the #1 reason to buy a LH rifle is so that when slung over your shoulder you don't have the dang bolt poking you in the kidney..! :shock:

Buy it.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I am so left-handed that the only thing my right hand does is keep me from walking lop-sided down the street :D !
As for the Browning A-Bolt rifle you are considering, here is my experience:

Several years ago, I bought a left-hand Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Winchester Magum, intended for a planned elk hunt. As life will have it, the elk hunt never happened, but I did use the rifle on 5 Blacktail bucks and 1 Pronghorn Antelope. The rifle fit me perfectly, the 70 degree bolt lift was delightful. and I never had to do a dam thing extra to make this rifle shoot. No trigger job, no stock bedding, no nothing.
But it proved too powerful for the smallish game I hunted, and after blowing the last Blacktail buck haf in two, I got rid of it. I traded that left-hand Browning A-Bolt in for a rifle better suited for my needs.... a left-hand Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 Winchester!

As much as I love leverguns, there are times when they will not do the job as relialably as a bolt gun. Buy that Browning. You will not regret it! :D
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Friend of mine has one in 375 H&H. Saw him shoot a .27" 3 shot group with it at 100 yds with full power cast bullets.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

That Browning is a good quality rifle that will give you a life time of good service. I am left handed also, and a LH bolt is a good thing to have. If the rifle is in good shape, and if you are getting a good deal then I would definitely buy it. If you don't, and it is a good deal, then let us on the board know. One of us may buy it.

As far as resale value is concerned. I would not worry about that. LH rifles hold their value very well. IMO they will even bring a premium. They normally cost more to start with. Tom.