OT - Ammunition Quantity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Ammunition Quantity

Post by cnjarvis »

Is there a regulation or law limiting the amount of ammunition someone may possess?

It seems like I heard of such years ago.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Ammunition Quantity

Post by jnyork »

Nope, no such thing!! :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yet :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Good to hear.

For some reason I recall hearing/reading that there was a 2500 rd limit. :roll: :roll:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cnjarvis wrote:Good to hear.

For some reason I recall hearing/reading that there was a 2500 rd limit. :roll: :roll:
won't be long now
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

2500 ? What are you, some kind of a terrorist or something? :lol:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

There's no federal law that I've ever heard of. Local laws may be different. It's that way with components too. Local fire marshal may have some strict rules on what you can and can not have w/o certain conditions being met. It's always a good idea to check with local regulations about such things, especially if you move into an area you're not familiar with. One could be in for quite a shock to find out one was a felon for merely possessing a simple semiautomatic rifle in certain jurisdictions. I suspect that ammo and components might have similar problems. Shucks, now we've got the "it's for the birds" law in California forbidding the possession of ammunition containing lead if you're in certain areas of the state...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

OI's buddy, Sen. Chuck Schumer, had suggested a 20k round/primer limit per houshold at one point many years ago. Nothing ever came of it though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've heard that MA has a 5000 round/primer limit. None here in VA.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not here in Pa. I hope so because between primers and ammo, I'm probably over 100K.

The last I heard, we were still a free nation. If the weirdos in Hollywood can have rooms full of sex toys, I can have all the ammo I want :D ----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I know Illinois has a card you must carry to purchase ammo. Not sure if there is a maximum limit or not. Maybe Joe can fill us in. I would be interested in the rules of that card as Obama was the Governor there.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bigahh wrote:I know Illinois has a card you must carry to purchase ammo. Not sure if there is a maximum limit or not. Maybe Joe can fill us in. I would be interested in the rules of that card as Obama was the Governor there.
Obama was NEVER Governor of Illinois... :)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bigahh wrote:I know Illinois has a card you must carry to purchase ammo. Not sure if there is a maximum limit or not. Maybe Joe can fill us in. I would be interested in the rules of that card as Obama was the Governor there.

State senator only. Never any executive experience at all.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AmBraCol wrote: Never any executive experience at all.
At anything - government or otherwise. Community organizer turned Senator-for-a-day before running for President and becoming our first Teleprompter-in-Chief.

No federal laws limiting ammunition or primers. State and local laws vary - some may address bulk powder storage, but that is usually more to do with fire codes.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

There is a moron named Kevin DeLeon in California who introduces a bill every session to require a license to purchase any ammunition and to limit transfers to 50 rounds per month unless you have a resellers license.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

No limits in Illinois that I know of and if there are, I probably exceed them. This is a very anti-gun state though and with about 65% of the legislature being from the Chicago area the rest of the state is in a bad way. There is right now a bill going through the state congress that if passed would eliminate private handgun sales. If I wanted to give a gun to my son, I would have to go through a dealer to do the transfer. :evil:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

ceb wrote:No limits in Illinois that I know of and if there are, I probably exceed them. This is a very anti-gun state though and with about 65% of the legislature being from the Chicago area the rest of the state is in a bad way. There is right now a bill going through the state congress that if passed would eliminate private handgun sales. If I wanted to give a gun to my son, I would have to go through a dealer to do the transfer. :evil:
Only the ones they know about!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have searched my state's statutes and found nothing of the sort.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

cnjarvis wrote:I have searched my state's statutes and found nothing of the sort.
Check your local Fire Code.

Look under "stored combustables". Most will set an upper limit, particularly of Powder/Primers, without having a container that meets a certain spec.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Washington State has no such regulations on the amount of ammo one can have. Having said that, I don't know about the fire marshal limits. I'll have to check that out. Never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old Law Dawg
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

There is no law per say in Wisconsin as to the quantity of ammo one can possess, but just a year or so ago there was a gent in Waukesha that was arrested and charged with a public mayhem violation and referred to homeland security because he possessed so much ammo the only intent could be to disrupt society, instill public fear, or planning a terrorist activity. According to the paper he had "over a thousand rounds of ammunition stockpiled in his closet". What prompted the investigation was a complaint by a neighbor that observed the guy carrying "a cache of weapons" into his house...it turned out to be three vintage muzzleloaders he bought at a gun show. When the SWAT team attacked this guys home they found enough "weapons to outfit a terrorist cell", the three muzzleloaders just bought, two more that he already had, two high powered sniper "type" rifles (a .22 heavy barrel target rifle and a Ruger M77 in .308), a high powered semi-automatic assault weapon (a CMP M1 carbine), and two semi automatic pistols. Of course along with the "stockpile" of ammo. The local news had a field day with this one.

Guess there might not be a law specifically stating how much, otherwise some people would have to run out and get up to that limit.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

It's probably best to not discuss inventory, never know who's listening. But anyone who loves shooting and owning firearms, that only spent a ton on iron-----but not lead, for the past 5 to 10 years, is hurting now. Remember when Win or Rem in 357 were 12.95 a box? Wish you had forgone a rifle or 2 and bought maybe 600 bucks in cheap ammo compared to now? Them primers that you can't find now were what---15 per K? And in 5 years, we will know that 2009 had had cheap prices compared to 2014, if we still have anything to care about by then.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

im pretty shore we have a limit on how many shells we can have over here dont no what it is........think its 5000rds all up
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.