OT: H&R .32 "Auto Ejecting", a neat l'il top-break

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: H&R .32 "Auto Ejecting", a neat l'il top-break

Post by Old No7 »

Greetings to those around the campfire...

Not sure "why", but I have always been intrigued by the old classic top-break designs. Previously I'd posted about an H&R 999 Sportsman that I'd bought a couple of years ago, to replace the one I'd bought back in the early 80's as my first handgun. That was also the first handgun I'd ever sold too, but as the years went by (sometimes too fast...) I found myself wanting another top-break revolver. And you know how it is with leverguns, once you get one...

So soon enough, I found this little gem of a top-break revolver. Oh it's not a rare or special gem, but it's a neat little piece just the same:
H&R Auto-Ejecting 01 (Small).jpg
It's a .32 S&W Long "Auto Ejecting", made by H&R some time between the late 1890's and 1940's. "When" it was made, so far, I really haven't been able to determine, as there don't seem to be any reliable records even though this piece is serialized. It's a decent plinker, but I don't push it too hard, as it's got what I've learned is the "blackpowder" frame.
H&R Auto-Ejecting 02 (Small).jpg
The clue is the cylinder notches, as they don't "lock up", rather the hand puts pressure against the cylinder which stops against the bolt, but there is no engagement into a slot at all.

Sure it was a cheap handgun and has none of the fit or finish of an early S&W top-breaks, but I think it's a pretty neat addition. Here's an old ad I found about these:
H&R Auto Ejecting - 1907 Ad.jpg
You know, maybe I'm nuts (would not be the 1st time I've heard that...), but I think a small stainless-steel top-break with a small frame like this one would be a neat little carry piece -- maybe with a stronger latch for the .327 Magnum?

Ah well, it's fun to dream...

If anyone has more history on these little revolvers, please send me a PM or post it here for all to see. Thanks!

Tight groups,

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: H&R .32 "Auto Ejecting", a neat l'il top-break

Post by Andrew »

Cool gun, No. 7. I like the top breaks as well, thanks for sharing.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I just picked up a H&R 732 in mint shape . It's a 32 sw long with solid frame and swing out cylinder and I got it for $95 . It's a great gun for the price. Now for loads I used the Speer 13 manual which stated that the loads listed were for solid frame revolvers only not top breaks. So as cool as they are , they are not a higher pressure design. I also picked up a Iver Johnson Cadet in 32 sw long from the same place for $50. Talk about some cheap fun. I would like to pick up a top break H&R 22 . But all the clean one's that I find , they want top dollar.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Was just checking out the old top breaks myself. Looks like a fun toy to have. I did find some smokeless powders listed for it, doubt I would try them in a BP model. Curious to know if you could make a nice little pyrodex load for it. Might make a nice little trap line pistol or just fun to target shoot with on occasion!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

After my grandfather passed away over a decade ago my grandmother called me to ask if I wanted Papa's gun. I was stunned - I never knew he had one, as he had never mentioned it, even knowing that this was "my thing". It turned out to be a nickel-plated H&R "Auto Ejecting" in .32 S&W Long. She even had the original box of ammunition he had purchased with the gun.

This is Y2K's now - I wanted him to have something from his great grandfather.

Neat gun Old No. 7!!! :D
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Nice gun,Old No.7! An H&R Sportsman (999) was my first handgun too back in the 1960's. I carried that thing everywhere from the time Dad gave it to me when I was 10 until I sold it at 17. Bad decision on my part. :( I found another Sportsman a couple of years ago in pristine condition and snatched it up, A call to Hunter holsters confirmed that they still had the pattern for the holster I had in those days. This one won't get away,and I carry it quite a bit around the place when I'm working or just bummin' around. Those old H&R top breaks are a lot of fun as a plinker/limb bacon/snake/snapping turtle revolver. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

One of my favorite types of small revolvers. I sometimes see them in old Black & White movies where they always seem more powerful and accurate than they really were. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:One of my favorite types of small revolvers. I sometimes see them in old Black & White movies where they always seem more powerful and accurate than they really were. :wink:
You can say that again. My grandfather's one is hard-pressed to do a 9-inch group at 25 feet! :shock: Still, I wouldn't trade it now for anything...