OT - link to my youtube vid of my 10mm Wintness at the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - link to my youtube vid of my 10mm Wintness at the range

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsyC1N0GOLo

I'm very pleased with it. Not shown however are the failures to feed and the fact that the magazine would swallow more than 10 round without sticking. But these are the fault of my handloads - apparently, even though I followed the overall length suggestion from my Hornady load book, they were a wee bit too long for the witness.

I'll fix that and take her back to the range....

It shot right to point of aim with these loads though - they're on the video, 180 grain Horn XTP, 10.5 Blue Dot - 1200 fps.

My order of 180 Laser Cast bullets arrived today, so I'll be checking those out next - pretty much the same load maybe a bit less as cast bullets tend to slide out a bit faster.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - link to my youtube vid of my 10mm Wintness at the range

Post by alnitak »

Nice video, and good shooting, especially the double taps to the head. How far were you...15 yards? I like the music too. Sounds like Mississippi John Hurt, though more like a modern rendition of his style (and without the singing).

It's a shame the pistol had the FTE and FTF problems. I hope the case length addresses it. Looks like a fine weapon.

Thanks for sharing.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I only get 1271 fps for that same load (actually 10.4 gr. BlueDot) from my 14" barrel! That's .38-40 BP carbine performance... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jac -

Thanks for sharing that! With as cruddy as I am feeling, that really brought a much needed smile to my face!!! :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys. Actually, in getting some feedback from other 10mm witness owners - they're getting the same magazine issues - new gun/mags. Other guys say that theirs functions 100%.

I don't think its the ocl now, but just in case, I shortened the ones that I loaded this evening a bit - to 1.24" from 1.26".

Hobbie - I didn't chrono those loads - just going by what Hornady lists in their manual. Also what Speer lists and what I've seen listed on ammoguide. I will be chronographing them though at some point - right now, I just want it to function reliably!

Hopefully it'll just be a break-in issue.

Alnitak - the "head shots" were from the slow fire and the double taps were the center of the body shots shown - FYI.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Good work on the video and good shooting!
NRA Life Member
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I found my Witness 45 liked shorter cartridges too for consistent feeding. I wound up loading a cast 230gr RN at an overall length of 1.200" which is pretty short. It turned out that my PT1911 loves that length just as much, as does my Firestorm (Bersa) 45 compact. I never had problems with loading book specification hollow points, SWC, or flat points, just RN bullets, then it liked shorter better.

Keep an eye on the slide by the ejection port as I've seen some reports of cracking on the 10s. This seems to be a problem with certain earlier versions, there's been a slightly beefier slide going on the newer models and warranty returns. EAA covers their pistols pretty well if there are problems. Only problem I had with my 45 was the slide lock spring getting weak after about 15k through it. With my 45, I learned that buying Tanfoglio mags eliminated mag problems. They cost a little more($3-5) but well worth it for less aggravation.

PS: Berretta 92 holsters fit these large frame guns pretty well and are easy to find.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks for the information. Appreciate it. These mags are all Tangfolio - which is why it's frustrating - if this keeps up, I'm contacting EAA to see what they can do. Maybe they changed the mags or something. It's really strange how they bind up with about 2/3 of the rounds in the mag.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, got to the range today and shot 100 reloads featuring 180 grain Laser Cast bullets over 10 grains of Blue Dot. I loaded up all four of the mags about a week ago and let them sit like that to see if that helped things. I loaded these to 1.240" OACL.

Well, I'm happy to say that two of the mags worked 100% and two had stovepipes on the 13th rounds. This is a much better performance and indicates that the mags are breaking in.

I came back and loaded up another 100 rounds of the same bullet and 9.8 grains of Blue Dot - it was shooting a bit lower than the Hornady's that I'd loaded previously - indicating higher velocity. I want the rounds to land where I put the front sight...

I also loaded up some 200 grain XTP's with 9 grains of Blue Dot to try out next range trip.

Oh, and I shortened the ejector and it decreased the brass pitch distance to around 12 feet - better, but since the range was full of spent brass laying around (nobody reloads!) I couldn't find my brass for nothin.

I decided to shorten the ejector a bit more and that's it - just another .010" which should decrease that pitch a little more....

So far, so good. But I'll be needing some more brass! I can see that this isn't going to be one of my shoot frequently pistols!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

O.S.O.K.,
Are you a Hollywood director? That was very nice and well put together. :D Thanks for all of the range work.

Funny thing, I was at our gunclub today playing with a couple of Winchesters and my new M-4. I also had the Ruger 38-40 single action with the 10mm cylinder.

8 grains of Herco with a 200 gr. cast chronographed at 1202. It had some bite and easily drilled the 200 meter 10" gong. (as long as I paid attention :D )

BTW, that old box of Peters are .223 and is near 50 years old. (gads, the .223 is gettin' old) They chronographed at 2910 out of the 16" Colt LE6940
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Oh, and I shortened the ejector and it decreased the brass pitch distance to around 12 feet - better, but since the range was full of spent brass laying around (nobody reloads!) I couldn't find my brass for nothin.

!

Poor boy tip --- i just bring a rake and a big shop type dust pan with me and i take it all. Sort it out when you get home. Amazing what some people leave at the range. plus you dont have to pick through it at the range when your ready to go. $10 bucks or so worth of brass makes me feel better about going --- but as you already know, the only 10mm you will find is your own --- i love the cartridge, but they are rare birds

Saturday i got 100 rounds of once fired .44 Mag, 20 .300 win Mags(on the 50 yd pistol range :shock: -- some people) and more 30-06 cases than i wanted to count, also on the pistol range. (admittedly that was an exceptional scroungin' day) I tossed all the shotgun hulls, steel cased mess and kept anything brass ---- someday most people will own a .44 mag and an '06 in their lifetime --- same with 9mm, .40, etc. However, 9mm and .40 brass can be had so cheap still, i could almost care less about those
----- Doug
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Is this the successor to the .45ACP????? Sure sounds like it to me, tho I may be guilty of sacrilage, (SIC). If it enables one to do doubletaps easier than with the .45, we should rethink, no? jd45
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jd45 wrote:Is this the successor to the .45ACP????? Sure sounds like it to me, tho I may be guilty of sacrilage, (SIC). If it enables one to do doubletaps easier than with the .45, we should rethink, no? jd45

naah --- i'm sure the original poster would agree --- but the .45 ACP cannot be seceded. The 10mm may be superior in a number of areas, but the 10mm is a "dare to be different" cartridge. It rocks and has serious velocity potential ----- but comparing the 10 to the .45 is like comparing the 45-70 to the .30-06. They both get it done equally well, one with large, slow bullets, one with velocity.

I love the 10 and i like the .45 ACP, but i'm the type of guy who thinks the .357 beats both in power factor
----- Doug