Model 71 bolt peep sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Model 71 bolt peep sight

Post by foxtrapper »

Does anybody make a bolt peep sight for the "Jap" model 71? Can a original peep be fitted to the new guns? Thanks :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 71 bolt peep sight

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, a company calling itself FRONTIER AMERICANA was making them, and the bolt must be machined for them.

IIRC, they used to get around $250 for the sight.

cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Down town Fargo, North Dakota. Call Pete at 701-241-4440
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Cowboykell I looked up the website and shot Greg a email thanks and Pete44ru thanks for the number will be passing the info on :D
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Last I knew, Williams offered their Foolproof model for the 71. Push comes to shove, the sight for the 94 model will work just fine. Only difference is in the width of the crossarm. Actually, I always thought the 94 model sight looked better on the gun.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Williams FP made to fit the 71. The cross arm is longer than one for a 94.
I have no use for it and it is in very good condition if anyone needs it I would sell it for $40 delivered USPS Priority. PM me if you need one.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

There was a US made bolt mounted peep to fit original Winchester 71's. There were problems fitting them to the Brownings as the steel used in the bolts is much harder and difficult to machine than the original Winchesters. The guy I corresponded with also designed a differnt bolt mounted peep to overcome the machining required and they still looked fine. I cant remember what my concern was but I didnt end up buying one but I think it had to do with changing sight settings. It was well machined though.

I acquired several Sako detachable peep sights but have yet to get someone to make a dovetail base that could be D&T-ed to the bolt. The objective was to make a robust peep sight that could be easy interchanged. This would mean I could have a couple of sights set up for different loads and be able to change them over quickly without having to re-sight the rifle. I'll get around to doing this at some stage but for now I'm using a Lyman 66 WB which BTW is not that great being thin alloy.

Joe