Recommended commercial ammo for a Marlin 1894c

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rwrjr
Levergunner

Recommended commercial ammo for a Marlin 1894c

Post by rwrjr »

Hello, new guy here.

I just agreed to terms to buy a 1894c from a guy on another board. I love my 39A and have been wanting a 1894c for a while now.

Since this is my first centerfire lever gun I admit my complete ignorance regarding the best ammo for this model. I like to shoot Federal JSP, 158gr .357 mag out of my S&W 686 and I was wondering if this is a good (and safe) round out of a 1894c. This round has a flat, lead nose that is wider than the primer that would be sitting in front of it.

I am not a reloader, although my friends are still working on me. What commercial .357mag and .38sp ammo is recommended for the 1894c. Is there any ammo that I should stay away from?

Thanks
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recommended commercial ammo for a Marlin 1894c

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats and welcome to the board! :)

That load that you are currently using with your Smith is just fine for your Marlin too. In fact, you will find it hard to locate commercially loaded ammo that's a danger in your carbine. The only exception that I can think of would be a "ball" load - round nosed fmj but that's not a common .357 Mag load and even those would most likely be just fine. The .357 Mag in this carbine doesn't kick much.

You will probably find that the heavier bullets with longer bearing surfaces will be more accurate than the lighter bullets but not necessarily so. Each rifle is different.

Oh, and if you didn't know it already, with a well constructed 158 or 180 grain bullet (such as a Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot) your carbine is a handy 100 yard whitetail hunting rifle.

You've made a great purchase! Enjoy your new rifle!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

PMC 158 gr JSP has shot the best for me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I use three kinds of 'store bought' stuff...

1. .38 or .357 lead reloads the local gun shop sells - Cheap, good practice rounds and for showing 'newbies' the fun of just shooting a gun.

2. Sellier & Belliot bulk ammo - Reuseable brass, truncated bullets are 158 grain and feed/function fine in my levers; I think the bullets are actually PLATED rather than 'jacketed' but they are fine. Friend dropped a whitetail with a lung/heart shot with those rounds last season, even though they aren't the fancy ones we're supposed to need.

3. Speer 180 grain factory JSP loads. I got 100 rounds of them a couple years ago, and only shoot them at deer, or when needed, to do final sight-in for deer hunting. I think a couple other companies put out 180 grain jacketed soft point loads, but they're not common.

Personally, I'm not that sure that a whitetail will really CARE whether it is a 180 grain 'premium' bullet, or a 158 grain 'generic' bullet, that makes a hole in the heart, but for my kids, who might embarass me by 'only' getting a lung shot rather than a heart shot, that extra margin may be worthwhile.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rwrjr
Levergunner

Post by rwrjr »

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

RWRJR....

My 94C shot the Fed 158's so well that I laid up a thousand of them "just in case" Shoots plenty of other stuff just fine. Sure likes the 180 BuffBores also (or homemade versions with similar boolit)

By far the most usefull rifle I ever laid hands on. Enjoy.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I too really like those Federal 158JSP in my Marlin Cowboy, so much so, I also bought a thousand just so I'd have em.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

My old pre-safety 1894c shoots American Eagle .357 158 JSP so well that I've got it zeroed for that load, and have laid in a supply of it.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Magtech was the most accurate for me, I used the nickel plated brass (158 gr). That load is a copy of the Remington which shot nearly as well.

I found the American Eagles to be a little hot, they occaisionally popped open my lever with the recoil.

125 grain bullets did not do well in mine.

You should test several brands to see what works best.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."