? regarding new brass for reloaders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

? regarding new brass for reloaders

Post by abcollector »

For you reloaders, when processing new brass the loading manual states the "trim-to-length" is in this case for the .405 Winchester is 2.580" and the new brass measures between 2.569" and 2.575, what do you do? Pick the shortest and trim to that? Pick the middle average and then have two different "lots" going? Not trim at all? Whichever one you use, will you ever reach the minimum "trim-to-length" standard?
Hobie

Re: ? regarding new brass for reloaders

Post by Hobie »

If I run into brass that is shorter than the trim to length length I measure it all first. If the brass is pretty uniform I do nothing but chamfer it. BUT if it widely varies in length (still shorter than the trim to length), I make it all even. Consistency is more important than actual length (usually). I generally do trim all new brass and chamfer it, and otherwise process it just like it was used brass.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I do the same as Hobie. :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I do the same as Hobie. :D
Agreed but I will load and shoot the brass once before any trimming. The brass will probably grow some after one firing and one trip through the sizing die. This process also gives me an idea which combination of components shows some promise. 1886.
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

I full length resize all new brass and then trim all to the same length.In your case I would trim all to 2.570.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Bottleneck cases will usually get shorter after the first firing and straight sided cases will grow but very little on the first firing. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

1886 +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Thanks guys. I just went ahead and did like Hobie and others suggested. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missin' something. I did run the brass though the FL sizer die but nothing happened but I'm sure that'll change after firing it. :D