OT- Lost another newborn calf to the coyotes.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Lost another newborn calf to the coyotes.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is happening more often these days. I can't say for sure yet because I can't find her. This will be the third in 6 months if it is coyotes. If I find the remains I can tell if it was coyotes as long as there is anything left. The momma was looking for it yesterday as I left the ranch. She was headed back to the pasture where I last saw the calf and gave it a B12 shot. It's kinda sad to see. I have looked all over the ranch and no sign at all. I will head out after church tomorrow with the "El Tigre" 44-40 to settle up. I have already killed 7 coyotes in the last 9 months. I know, new ones just take their place.
"That'll Be The Day"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Lost another newborn calf to the coyotes.

Post by awp101 »

Start posting 'yote heads on stakes around the perimeter. Maybe they'll get the hint?

Otherwise, you're plan of a little chlorine in the gene pool works. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm willing to offer my services as a genuine cat loving yote shooter. I got lots of irons to try and lots of lead to send their way.

Just let me know.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Hate to hear that. Hope you find it. We use to have similar trouble at my grandpa's place except it was dogs that people would drop off and they would gang up after a while and chase the cows and kill the calves. I got a lot of target practice on those dogs. Hope you get the chance to take care of the problems that you're having.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that really sucks. I am sorry to hear that
best of luck catching the rascals
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Wish I lived closer, I'd be happy to help solve the problem. Hope you find the calf.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

handirifle wrote:Wish I lived closer, I'd be happy to help solve the problem. Hope you find the calf.
+1
Nothing I like doing more then shooting yotes.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It really sucks living in the East. I wish I was your neighbor as the leverguns would be left at home and the Remington Model 700 in .257 Roberts, topped with a 10X Leupold would be dusted off. Its my most accurate rifle, grouping 100 grain Sierra SPTZ FB's into 3" at 500 meters. (no wind :D )---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you know anyone with Greyhounds, they love to chase coyotes. Back around home there was an old man with a pack of Greyhounds who hired out to anyone with a problem. He used a .270, and I remember the game warden saying that the coyotes started becoming very scarce when the Greyhounds came out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I use to use greyhounds with a fellow football team member at college in the 60s. It worked well. I don't have access to any now. I also have a 700BDL 22-250 with a 6.5-20X40 and a Bushmaster Predator 223 with a Leupold 3-9X50 that gets the job done well, but they always come back. The ranch is next to 11,000 acre and 3000 acre ranches. You can't be there all 24 hours of the day. I have found shooting a wild hog and setting up on it the best way to get multiples. The "El Tigre" is just for horseback. The coyotes smell the afterbirth and come a running. It is hard to know where the cow is hiding to birth and be there for protection.
"That'll Be The Day"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rangerider;
Though not as effective a cyanide charges, DCON will kill yotes and any critter that eats it (not as quickly as the cyanide did),
Not as much fun as shooting them, but effective.
Also, have you tried using government trappers? The ranchers around our deer lease in Comanche county had one in regularly and he COULD USE CYNANIDE LEGALLY - also had a Ruger .223 Ranch Rifle mounted on the handlebars of his ATV.
He made a big difference and visibly reduced coyote numbers and predation on deer and livestock.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

awp101 wrote:Start posting 'yote heads on stakes around the perimeter. Maybe they'll get the hint?
That only works for politicians and enemy hordes (not sure the difference), and unfortunately it isn't used much these days...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:If you know anyone with Greyhounds, they love to chase coyotes. Back around home there was an old man with a pack of Greyhounds who hired out to anyone with a problem. He used a .270, and I remember the game warden saying that the coyotes started becoming very scarce when the Greyhounds came out.
Our Llama has cornered and attacked many dogs, including german shepherds, dobermans, & malamutes, and gives a 'heads up' when coyotes come near that seems to give them pausee (none came in the pen he patrols despite fence down for a week). Our great pyrines dogs stay with our goats and don't let anything mess with them, including (so far) coyote packs. Of course you have a much larger territory, but it would be cool if you could get some kind of canine on YOUR side to roam around at night and do guerilla warfare dog-style!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Get ahold of the livestock board and see if they can direct you to the nearest government trapper. He/she should have clearance for the 1080 guns, and in addition access to an airplane or helo for aereal shooting. You can also get ahold of your local weed and pest office, and get directions on getting certified to use 1080's (or the modern equivilant)
Aereal shooting is about the only really successful means of getting good numbers killed, and most of the time will get the ones that have developed a taste for livestock.
Calling works for a couple of days, and then the get smart recognize the call, and just sit and laugh at ya. :x
We start calving in the last part of February, and by the middle of March I'll be able to set my watch by the times during those darn things will be moving onto the calving pasture looking for certified angus beef.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Here in north Florida, the ranchers/dairymen use Donkey's, Mules or Jackasses to keep the coyotes at bay. Mostly Donkey's and it works. Just put a few out with the stock and they will hang close.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

We have a mean son-of-gun horse that runs them off when she sees them. She stays close to the cattle, but runs them around also. That's not a good trade off. It is the ones that follow the cow into the brush to birth are the worst problem. They got a pair of twins and the cow last year as she was having them. Thanks for the ideas. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rangerider7 wrote: The coyotes smell the afterbirth and come a running. It is hard to know where the cow is hiding to birth and be there for protection.
I know nothing about ranching, so this may be a very dumb thought. Could you pen a cow about to give birth, in an area she'd liked try to give birth anyway, and then set up a blind and wait for the coyotes to come calling? I know - hard to pick an exact date, but you should be able to get reasonably close. If you arrived afterwards and collected the afterbirth, you could then put it somewhere as bait as well.

Good luck - blast a few extra for all of us! :evil:
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

where there is very little that sounds like the sounds of the 'ote when sitting on the porch at nite yet i still do not like what he does at times to "make a living".

here where i live, there is much livestock...(we have none except for dogs to help keep the wylies and big cats away) and i can certainly see where the ranchers grieve when wylie is out and about. i certainly do not grieve when wylie stops a "pill".

a few nites ago our dogs were 'restless'...i stepped outside to investigate...a dozen wylies "lit off" no more than a dozen yards from our porch...i was unable to administer a .223 pill to any of them as they were on my neighbors property and their house is in the "backstop" position.

i know and understand wylie is entitled to make a living but he should limit his reapings to field mice, rats, rabbits, etc and leave the cattle alone.

sorry for the loss.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Shucks, I wish I was closer, I'd be up for a bit of that!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

If I lived closer, I could trap them for you, at a price though :wink:

The compound 1080, and sodium cyanide you speak of is deployed from an m44 dispenser. Basically, it is stuck in the ground with a piece of bait on top. When pulled, a spring "shoots" the poison up and game over. Govt. trappers only are allowed to use these devices as far as I know.

I have heard of people using Temik however, it is very illegal and why you'd want to set yourself up for that kind of trouble if somebody found out or you killed something protected I don't know.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Give 'em hell RangeRider! Coyotes do seem to be alot worse than I can remember in a while. My parents lost 3 calves this year, one back in DEC to a coyote and my neice lost her dog to one as well. I was back home for a while over Christmas and New Years, but right now they were keeping their heads down pretty good. It seems everyone is fed up and taking shots at them right now.

I have heard that if you thin out the small game around your place that coyotes will move out of the area. They say if you have Hawks, Owls and Crows in the area that coyotes are bound to be there as well. I know I shot alot of crows while I was home. I didnt have an actual crow call on me at the time but used my mouth. I tried to thin out the squirrels and rabbits, but there is a pretty heavy thicket that is hard to hunt where they are coming out of.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

John mules will kill other small animals goats ,sheep,calves and foals unless they are raised with them my hunting partner's john mule killed 2 of his newborn calves jumped 2 fences to get it done. I would only use jenny's or molly mules for guard animals. danny
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

BigSky56 That's what is bad about this mean mare; she attacks our on dogs and runs the cattle.
"That'll Be The Day"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Rider
Some horses just dont like cattle a rancher across the valley was boarding his cousins mare she jumped a board fence killed a calf he penned her up till owners could come she jumped the fence again and killed another calf my friend 06 ed her, I hear that family get together's have been strained this last year. In the past Ive had wolves take my calves once a predator is successful at it they have to be eliminated. It hurts when you loose stock especially if its seed stock. danny
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Rusty Jr. has been looking into trapping yotes around here. In Fla. leg hold traps are verboten but snares are fine. I had trouble figuring that one out myself, but some folks I've talked to that are in the know claim snares are a better way to go anyway. You should be able to do that yourself without a whole lot of expense. Here's the place he was looking at getting his set ups from http://www.buckshotscamp.com/index.html
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had a yearling stud and filly that were both growing off pretty good, both got to chasing cows. The filly had a bit more sense about her so I kept her but the stud had a better confirmation. He ended up being dirt lotted until I finally decided to sell him. The filly settled down and has made a good mare.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I asked a friend of mine that has raised a lot of fine horses. I described this mares actions with the cows and puppies. He said she is too territorial and will always be a problem. Even small children could be in danger of being hurt. The mare has been somewhat broken to ride but I wouldn't trust her with a ten foot pole. It's our problem, but she may be in equine hell soon if she runs off another newborn from her mother.They get scared and hide. She will run them a thousand yards at a time till they are to tired to return to their mothers. It is a good size ranch about 900 acres so it is difficult to get them back if they go through a fence. I'm going out tomorrow to see if the mother was able to find her calf. I don't think so, but hopeful. I saw no buzzards in eating mode, but a pack of coyotes could have left nothing but the large bones in a matter of minutes. I have seen it before. Wish me luck.
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good luck rr7!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I know the feeling when critters are lost Rangerider. I hope you get a good plan working soon, and rid the country around your place of the vermin doing this to you.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The Llama seems to be the choice for predator control here in my area. Most folks don't think of CA as being cow country but we have many ranches in this area -- some as big as 20,000 to 30,000 acres running several thousand head of cattle. Anyway, the Llama keeps down the killing of livestock by mountain lions and coyotes quite nicely. Even when some of the ranchesr move their cattle to BLM or National Forest Land for summer grazing, some of them include a Llama or two or three in with the cattle.

We do have plentiful game (deer and elk) in this area, especially deer, so the mountain lions and coyotes are not a serious threat to livestock in this area. None-the-less, they are a problem and it seems the Llama provides good predator contro.

We have one sheep rancher in our area who runs a couple thousand head of sheep and his sheep hearders depend primarily on "Great Pyrenees" for predator control.
ED
Yer never too old
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

piller wrote:If you know anyone with Greyhounds, they love to chase coyotes. Back around home there was an old man with a pack of Greyhounds who hired out to anyone with a problem. He used a .270, and I remember the game warden saying that the coyotes started becoming very scarce when the Greyhounds came out.
I have a friend who used to live in TX , he relocated to Oregon to raise his Irish Wolfhounds ,he emailed me about some coyotes that came calling for the last time & a bear headed for different territory.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Give 'em hell RangeRider! Coyotes do seem to be alot worse than I can remember in a while. My parents lost 3 calves this year, one back in DEC to a coyote and my neice lost her dog to one as well. I was back home for a while over Christmas and New Years, but right now they were keeping their heads down pretty good. It seems everyone is fed up and taking shots at them right now.

I have heard that if you thin out the small game around your place that coyotes will move out of the area. They say if you have Hawks, Owls and Crows in the area that coyotes are bound to be there as well. I know I shot alot of crows while I was home. I didnt have an actual crow call on me at the time but used my mouth. I tried to thin out the squirrels and rabbits, but there is a pretty heavy thicket that is hard to hunt where they are coming out of.
When I was attending the Univ of AZ earning a bs degree in wildlife mgt in the early 60's Predator & Rodent Control Agents used lots of then legal coyote removers for example the Coyote Getter,carcasses baited with compound 1080 & steel leghold traps.One of the agents gave me some of his special stink bait to help trap some predators we had to collect.The bait had calf brains,limburger cheese,beaver castor,female coyote,fox & bobcat urine plus other body parts which he put in a gallon pickle jar and set out in the AZ sun to ripen,I was warned to make sure which was the wind was blowing before opening the container he gave me it really stunk.I was introduced to predator calling by one of my classmates who gave me safety pointers to keep my back protected when calling because he had a bobcat and mtn lion start stalking him,he found the calls would bring in lots of curious animals: deer,birds of prey,javeina,skunks,etc.
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

A friend of mine was ranch manager for a large ranch in Colorado, 50k acres and 500 mother cows.

One season they lost 50% of their calf crop. Every saddle on the place got a new ranch rifle in .223. The calving days were spent looking over cows about to calf so they could be brought. That didn't always work as some ole cows are looking for a hiding hole for the event. They rotated night riders.

Same out in Oregon I have a friend who runs a couple outfits and night riders are just part of the job. They not only have coyotes there but plenty of big cats due to new hunting restrictions.
AQHA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unfortunately, our coyotes are really bad this winter, and we have our goats in several pastures. To add insult to injury, the politicians in power are on the verge of declaring any effective coyote-getting firearm an "assault weapon" and the idiots obligingly misinformed by the mainstream 'news' media will believe them, since most haven't ventured beyond a sidewalk unless it was a guided tour of some park. I'd like them to spend the night out in the woods guarding our livestock with the kind of gun THEY feel is "suitable for sporting purposes" - THAT would be downright funny.

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

No success. I did kill one yote but it was a young one; not big enough to take one down by itself. I guess I will be spending some nights at the ranch from now through spring. I think the yotes are call weary so baiting is going to be the main method. I will let y'all know how it goes.
"That'll Be The Day"