348 Win enough gun for bison?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HairyHook
Levergunner

348 Win enough gun for bison?

Post by HairyHook »

I am going on a bison hunt and was thinking of using my Mod 71. Any thoughts on whether the 348 Win is enough gun?

Thanks

HairyHook
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 348 Win enough gun for bison?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

With proper bullets you should be able to kill one no problem.
I am sure other comments will follow soon. :D
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I'd shoot a buff (and just about anything else!) with my 71 using either my Barnes 250gr loads at about 2100fps or my 265gr cast load at about the same velocity.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm sure many have been killed with lesser calibers. I'd think you'd be fine given proper shot placement with a good bullet.
NRA Life Member
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

I'd say.......absolutely, based on how well the factory loaded Winchester 200 grain Silvertips dealt with a 1500 pound bull moose in my Browning 71. Gerry
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have never hunted Bison before but I do know They have been killed with a lot less. If it was me I would use a good 250 grain bullet and choose my shot. Here is what I would use, or something similar.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=13161
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I would like to know if you are after a monster trophy or a good meat cow. I would also like to know the terrain and habitat where you will be hunting. Lastly, I would need to hear what the range was that could be expected for a shot and what your guide/outfitter says about the hunting in general. Can you confidently make the "bison spine shot"? Can you shoot a rapid follow up shot or shots? Bison will take a lot of lead and rarely go down with one shot to the H/L area. Craig Boddington shot a 1800 lbs bull with his M71 and told me he "felt woefully undergunned". I can be done, no doubt but depending on circumstances, it might not be the best choice for the job. If you think it'll do it for you, I'd strongly consider Grizzly Cartridge with 250 Kodiaks or a stout handload of the Barnes 250 or a hardcast 265.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

good shot placement, keep it at 220 yards or less. buff won't be able to tell if he was hit with a 348, 356, 458 lott, or a 338. at that range, it dosen;t matter.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

As usual 86er asks some good questions and gives some good advice. Think through what he is asking you to consider. It will pay off on the big day.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Shoot it behind the ear & it will drop.I shot a 7yr old bull with the wrong ammo 180gr Sierra GameKings in my sako 300wm,I had Nosler 220gr Partitions but didn't use them, big mistake.The game kings never penetrated thru the ribs they were under the hide all mangled finally dropped it with a shot into the vitals under the ribcage as it was moving away.I'd never shoot another old bull they taste terrible it would be a dry cow or a young bull.Another area is the Texas Bullseye I had a perfect shot at it but my guide told me not to take it!
Last edited by scr83jp on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sneak in behind him, shoot, and let the chips fall where they may.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
HairyHook
Levergunner

Post by HairyHook »

Thanks for all of the info. I will be shooting a nice cow (probably between 800-1000 lbs). The area is an open ranch with praire and thin, mature woods. The shot will probably be 100 yards, give or take, and at that range I can put it where I need to without a problem.

I do loke the idea of the handloaded Barnes though, and will probably go that way if I can get some quickly.

Thanks again,

HairyHook
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here is a link to part of a story of shooting a bison with a M71, 348 and the 250 Barnes no less:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Rri8xd ... #PPA219,M1

SEE PAGE 225 SPECIFICALLY
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks, Joe. That was a good read.
Old Law Dawg
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Way plenty gun. The last one we killed for meat we shot behind the ear with a 22 magnum. A 348 shoud shoot through two buffalo with no problem. Go for it.
Jammed
Levergunner

Post by Jammed »

There's a company called "Grizzly" ammo...IIRC, they've been around since 2003. Anyway, they make 348 ammo & Cabelas sells it. The store near me has it on sale...20 rounds for about $55 bucks.....250g soft points spitting out at 2300 fps!!

Just fyi..