Marlin 1894CL 25-20 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 1894CL 25-20 ?

Post by PaperPatch »

Greetings all,
Does anyone here have experience with this rifle/cartridge combo?

I'm specifically interested in its accuracy potential, as well as its hunting applications; and would love to hear the experiences of others.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894CL 25-20 ?

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a couple model 92s in 25-20s and still have a Martini in 25-20.

Great little target and small game round. I've kocked off a few squerrils, rabbits and a
bunch of woodchucks.

My Grandfather had a little 92 SRC in 25-20 that he shot so much there was litterly no bore left. Used it on everything and anything that needed to be removed from the barns or feilds.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I have never owned a Marlin 25-20, but I believe they are fine rifles. I remember a piece Brian Pearce wrote for Rifle magazine, and he had nothing but praise for them. I have an old Winchester '92 25-20, and it is one of my favorite rifles. It is all butchered up, but it shoots great and is very accurate. At least at 50 yards with the reciever sight. I have taken gophers, rabbits, cats, coons, and one deer with it. I limit my shots to around 50 yards and it has never let me down. I would not normally use it for a deer rifle, and probably won't do it again, but the little buck I shot was only 25 to 30 yards away and the rifle was in my hands. It was almost dark and he was laying down so I took a neck shot. At the shot he jumped and ran. I found him about 50 yards away looking very sick and another through the lungs finished him instantly. I was using factory Remington 86 grain loads at the time. Here is the gun and the buck.

" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think there's a lot of accuracy potential and the guns are pretty nice. My 1894CL is a .32-20...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie - according to Paco, your rifle is actually a 32-21 Marlin.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Hobie - according to Paco, your rifle is actually a 32-21 Marlin.
It shoots the .32-20 factory ammo just fine... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Marlin he says used their 32-21 reamer on these and they accommodate 32-20s fine but can benefit by not setting the shoulder all the way back I think he said - it is in his book. I will look it up again when I am back at the office. :) Happy New Year.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've had one since they first came out, somewhere around 1990 or so. I got rid of the half magazine and installed a full length tube. The tube is from a Marlin Cowboy gun in 357 (ordered from factory). Only thing I had to do was to cut a dovetail under the muzzle. I also installed an original Lyman tang sight that is coded for a 1910 Winchester in .351. One screw holds it on.

I have logged 2400 rounds out of it and yes, its an excellent shooter. This is one of the few guns I have shot jacketed ammo out of. The Remington 86 gr. softpoint will stay at an inch and a half, easily @ 100 meters. My normal load consists of a Lyman 69 gr. gas checked bullet in front of 5.5 gr. of Unique.

I have not hunted with it much except a few crows out back. (they go right down! :D ) It has shot lots of steel, rocks, and other inanimate targets. I also used it for awhile for pistol caliber silhouette. Blows those rams over.----------Sixgun

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When the 1894CL's came out I was working in a gunshop on the weekends and I could have purchased all three calibers NIB for about $700 for all three . At the time I thought you couldn't give them away much less sell one ! But that was back in my high dollar bolt action days (Kimber 89BGR's and Pre 64 Model 70's).

Now 20 years later I have a Marlin 1894Cl in each caliber they've chambered them . Paid twice as much at least for each of my "used" rifles as I could have gotten new ones when they first came out !

My little 1894CL in 25-20 is a pretty good shooter . I pretty much only shoot cast bullets in it and have used it to take a few squirrels .

I also have an "original" Marlin 1894 of 1902 vintage that is 25-20 as well ! This one shoots alright with cast as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I've got a 1894 CL DU 25-20 that will put 3 shots of Remington factory loads just over an inch @100 yards. Sold it once and bought it back about 3 years later from one of the nicest gun traders in the Dakota's. All he wanted was $225 that I sold it to him for, but I gave him $250. He passed about a year later. :cry: He will be missed. That gun isn't for sale anymore.

Byron