45 LC and RL7 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

45 LC and RL7 Question

Post by Bruce »

As I have recently posted, I just got a Uberti 1873 Carbine and a Ruger New Vaquero, both in 45 LC. I had posted on some load data previously, but had not slugged either bore. Today I slugged both and to my happy suprise they are matched @ .451 (groove) and .443 (lands). I have plenty of good load data on lead rounds from the previous post and my manuals.

I am now looking for some real world experiences with jacketed rounds that are safe in both of these and will cleanly take up to deer sized animals within the proper ranges.

I am also looking to see if anyone has experience with loading either lead or jacketed rounds in the 45 LC with Alliant RL7. I have some published data for 38-40 and 44-40 that uses RL7 and is safe in these two firearms. I think I have seen data for the 45 w/ RL7, but I can not find it again. If this is a workable combination, I will be very happy as I have a lot of RL7 for use in my straight walled rifle cartridges.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45 LC and RL7 Question

Post by .45colt »

Bruce, after reading Paco's article around five years ago, I tried RL7 a few times in the colt.I even went as far as to ream the primer pockets on some brass and use large rifle primers. I don't have my notes handy, but even with a compressed load of it under the Lyman/Keith 265gr I think It only ran around 1700fps. accuracy was good. It didn't come close to the top load of W296,which uses less powder. I was dissapointed. Jim.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Two years ago, I set about doing some RX7 loads for my 38-40's. I have both a 92 and two 73's in this caliber. At the time, Alliant listed a load for the 38-40 for this powder. I used their recommended load, and opted to shoot them in my 92 first for development purposes...Thank heavens I shot them first in the 92, cause the recoil was much much higher than my standard 1892 hot load for this cartridge. I shot a few, and pulled the rest. I now notice that Alliant has pulled those loads from the website. I wouldn't run those loads in my 92 much less in my 73. I remember years ago one of the silhouette shooters claiming that RX7 made a great 44 mag load, and I tried it in my SBH, but it left a lot of unburned powder in the handgun and poor velocity. BTW, in case you might think I'm conservative, I standard use Snooky's loads in my 92's , and as most on here know...they are smokin...

Ed
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Thanks guys. Yes, that was the article I had remembered, but it appears RL7 does not apply to my 1873. Well, the thought was there, but I will go back to researching jacketed loads with conventional pistol powder. I may end up with cast loads after all, I just do not have any experience with cast hunting loads. All of my reloading and hunting has been with jacketed rounds.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would think that cast bullets are in your future along with Unique...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I have had good luck using Titegroup with lead bullets for plinking 45 colt loads. 6 grains of Titegroup would be perfectly safe in your 1873. I shoot these out of a 92 Puma, with good accuracy.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Hobie,

I think you are right. I just need to take the plunge and find me a hog to test one on.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Bruce,

In a 24" barrel, using magnum pistol primers, a capacity load of RL-7 (30 grs.) under a 265 gr. cast bullet exited at an average of 1,465 f.p.s.

A capacity load (28 grs.) under a 320 gr. cast bullet went over the chronograph at an average of 1,416 f.p.s.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

W30WCF,

What was the pressure level of those loads?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

In Paco's article, ".45s...Small; Big; & Tall", RL-7 is used to propel a 260gr lead bullet to some very impressive velocities. I have to say I haven't obtained the same results. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I may be mistaken. Paco's article may be "The .45 Colt In Lever-Action Rifles", where he suggests that RL-7 might provide hyper-velocity, (as much as 2200fps) depending on the rifle it's fired out of, with a 260gr HC lead bullet
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I don't think my replica can take those kind of velocities, so I will take the conventional route and try some Unique loads.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

J Miller wrote:W30WCF,

What was the pressure level of those loads?

Joe
Joe,
Based on the velocity and slow burning rate of the powder, I'm thinking somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 cup which would be too much for a '73.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Bruce wrote:I don't think my replica can take those kind of velocities, so I will take the conventional route and try some Unique loads.
That would be the wise thing to do the 73 action wasn't meant for high pressure loads. Get your self some 250gr cast bullets and some Unique and have fun with it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

w30wcf,

Thanks for the answer. It might be worth a try in the stronger guns, but no toggle actions.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***