OK, I will ask the question...Your favorite Rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OK, I will ask the question...Your favorite Rifle?

Post by rjohns94 »

Now I know you all are keeping the air of plausable deniabilty going on here but I am curious as to your favorite rifle and why? I imagine for me it would have to be the one that goes just about everywhere with me, begs to get off the rack when it is there. It goes to the range more, has more ammo for it than any other rifle, gets shot more, hunts more and is fondled more than any other rifle you own. I'm limiting this topic to your rifles. It can be a single shot, a lever, a bolt gun, BP, pump or semi, does not matter. Perhaps its your favorite because of a family connection, a connection to an animal taken, a gift, one you built, or one you have customized. Or maybe, you don't have a favorite, don't get attached to formed steel as I do. Now, for those who have lost all of their weapons to some tragic circumstances recently, Know that I am sorry for you and feel your pain, but perhaps you could suggest which WAS your favorite when you once had it. Sooo...... Favorite Rifle, Why?, along with Pics. We will get to the pistols and the shotguns later once this thread runs dry.

My choice is the rifle that has been with me the longest. I moved to Pa 10 years ago after retiring from the service and the first thing I did was to find and join an archery club. There I met a guy who had just taken ownership of a brand new custom BP rifle. I asked about the maker and learned he lived and worked a few miles from my home. I called, made an appt and when I showed up to his shop, behind his house in a log cabin, I stepped back into time where old methods and genuine talent met. Brad Emig actually worked in the Williamsburg Gunsmith shop making period correct Flintlocks, with correct methods. I asked Brad to make me a Virginia rifle and took home an English Fowler while I waited for the rifle to come to life in his shop. The next hunting season, I used that rifle in early season, regular and late season, taking my first PA buck with it, several other deer and my largest Buck I have ever taken, with this rifle. Over the years I have added to the accessories for this rifle, a range loading stick, a forged wrench and pliers combo tool, an antler handled forged blade in sheath, neck knife, Rapin bullet mold, forged rod tools, melting dipper, fire starter, possibles bag, powder horn, priming pan horn, clothing, moccasins, hunting capes and caps. The rifle rests on the two largest racks I have taken with it and calls to me when I enter the room. I listen and pull it off the wall, running a polishing cloth over the cherry stock, oiling the brown Colleran swamped barrel that cirlces the .54 caliber void at the muzzle. Its german silver blade very visible in the brown furniture of the rear sight. The lock is perfectly timed and I have not experienced a misfire in 9 years. The silver compass rose on the butt stock is patterned off of a similar rifle made some 240 years ago. On the cherry tang is sliver crest with my intials on it. On the off side of the butt stock is a carved wooden patch box. I bring the rifle to my shoulder and the sights align to my aging eyes, the front sight 54 inches away, clear as can be. The wood is alive in my hands, but steady at point and follow through. The heft and balance of the rifle perfect in my hands. At the range, a group always gathers as clover leaf hole patterns appear in the pie plates some 100 yards away. There 55 grains of powder are used if I'm just plinking away. When hunting, the 110 grains of ffg, under two wads and a .530 ball in a patch, propel the ball down range with amazing accuracy. No ball has been stopped in its passage through game. The longest shot of just under 100 yards passed through the young buck and continued into the woods beyond. I recall that shot as I look at the rug of the buck on the wall of "my room". My favorite season of the hunting year opens soon, when the hordes of hunters from general season disappear from the game lands, leaving the later BP season to Cold winds from the north, and white blankets of snow. This is when I slip into the woods upon quiet moccasins, and period dress, possibles and rifle at my side. When the ancient in me pushes clear from my mind the modern and the pressures of day to day. This rifle calls to my very soul. We make camp in a rock outcrop, where the small fire heats the walls of rock and stone. Years ago I built a lean to wall from fallen limbs placed against this very rock. It is just perfect to overlook the creek bottom and to shelter from the icy wind at night. Yep, this is the favorite rifle. Its calling again and I relpy, soon... soon.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OK, I will ask the question...Your favorite Rifle?

Post by Tycer »

Marlin 39 Mountie. Balances well, shoots straight, nice wood, cheap to shoot......

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have several that are very special to me - mostly because they came to me from my dad. But a favorite rifle? Depends on which week you ask me.

Really, I have several that I really like but can't nail it down to just one.

I have to give more weight to the ones that I've personally worked on or built in some way though.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice flinter, Mike. I've always wanted to get a real nice smoke pole. I bought a TC 58 cal. Hawken a few years back, but it doens't compare to yours. I'd be ashamed to walk the woods with you while you were carrying that.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'd be honored to walk the woods with you. Brad does nice work, thanks for the compliment
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My Rossi .357
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

While I have a lot of more sophisticated and exspendsive rifles these three are special for different reasons. They are all winchesters. The model 61 my dad bought in the late 1930s. It has the rare octogon barrel and I was raised and learned to shoot with it. The 94 I bought new about in 1955 and always has been my standby, accounting for a number of deer. The 1890 was a already worked on .22 wrf that I had converted to .22 WMRF. It feels and fits me better than any rifle. Bet you never seen one of these with a cheekpiece!

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My 336ER
NRA Life Member
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Remington 511 ... my father's gun when he was a boy and on which he taught me to shoot.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

These two would be my: “Till Death Do us Part” “From My Cold Dead Hands” picks.

The Savage 99C .308 is the first rifle/gun I ever bought. I purchased this rifle
At 14 years old. Took me a full year of snow shoveling and grass cutting jobs
to save the money. Also took my first buck and doe with this one. :D
So needless to say this one is extra special to me. :wink:

Like Mike, my flintlock I had built by Brad Emig back in the late eighties.
It is the YorkTown model in .45 cal.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Here is my favorite. My USRAC 1895 Winchester in .405 win. This rifle is my baby.

The other contender would be my USRAC 1886 Winchester Delux Takedown. I love it too.

8)
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...well, hands-down, that'd be my Henry H001L, in .22LR, with the 16" barrel & large loop lever. It is smooth, light, relaible, accurate, and extremely easy to use. It digests everything that I feed it, too. Approaching 10,000 rounds, and no regrets. :!: :wink:

#2 is my Rossi 92, in .357 Magnum, with 16.25" barrel. It is a good rifle, in a handy length & caliber.

#3 is my Browning B92, in .44 Magnum, 20" barrel, with a Rossi large loop lever. It, too, is a good rifle, and in a stouter caliber.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike, that sure is a pretty rifle... and hugely succssful for you also. Congrats on having one like it. As most of you on here would guess, my favorite is a Winchester 94 rifle that I built out of a carbine that, reputedly, should have been a factory reject.

It started life as a 1979 carbine, of the dreaded post-64 series of Winchester Repeating Arms production. However... I'd found it during my weekly search of gunshops for a pair of guns that had been stolen shortly after my return from VN in 1974, a 1969 Winchester 94 in .44Mag and a 1972 Winchester Mdl 64A.

In 1981, after my archery season ended in an armed standoff (longer story than I need to relate here), I stopped in at the local dealer I frequented and was perusing his racks of Winchester 94's for a bargain. I saw a newish looking 94 in .30-30 and asked to see it. It had a tag of $150 on it. The salesman, an archery acquaintance, got it from the wall and told me that the gun was "like new, only one box of ammo had been shot thru it..." Upon close inspection I could see that it was, feasibly, a true statement. As I fondled it and asked why the low price, he said the previous owner swore it couldn't shoot; was consistently 8-10" high at 100 yards, even with the elevator removed.

Now I'd been looking for a Winchester 94 rifle at a reasonable price, but... in Southern California that seemed to be "mission impossible". I'd seen where Numrich had rifle barrel kits for the Mdl 94 for $95, and thought that even if this carbine needed a new barrel, a Numrich replacement and the price of the gun could make for an inexpensive "rifle". So I inspected this carbine carefully... and noticed that the bead was broken off the front sight, although the hood looked as though it had never been removed... but I suspected the previous owner had; and in his ignorance broken off the bead to get the little carbine sighted in. But... as we know, that only exacerbated his problem!

So... when the shop owner accepted an offer of $100, I jokingly asked the salesman if he happened to have a new front sight for the Mdl 94! Yep, and the owner laughed so hard he even agreed to throw it in. Seems that since the guy had shot it, didn't want to return to the factory the shop owner had given the guy $100 allowance on trade for a new Remington bolt gun that was sold at retail... he'd made money on the deal and had failed to see the broken off bead... The previous owner probably thought he'd pulled one over on the the dealer, the dealer'd made a reasonable and unexpected profit on the retail sale of the Remington with numerous accessories, and as I was a fairly consistent customer, he'd let a benefit fall my way, so I guess all three parties were happy.

Anyway, that little carbine was a consistent 2" grouper, and was my "truck gun". Around 1985 I got interested in cowboy action shooting, and began attending matches. In fact, for my first match I showed up with that carbine, a Colt .45 SAA and a 1919 Riverside Arms double, only to learn that they'd outlawed the .30-30 as a main match caliber the beginning of that year due to damage on their steel targets. A soon to become good friend loaned me a spare Rossi Mdl 65 in .38/.357 so I could still compete. The next April I attended my first "End of Trail" and had most of what I wanted... except for a rifle version of the Winchester 94 for the long range event.

So @ $125 I ordered the Numrich 26" octagon barrel kit and began rebuilding that 1979 Mdl 94. It now has a color cased receiver, lower tang and forend cover, wears a Fajen XX Fancy French Walnut stock and forend, a customized (by me) Shiloh Sharps globe front sight, and a prototype Smith tang sight. After some load development, my first trip to the range yielded a ¾" group off a makeshift rest. The next trip I borrowed a RCBS rest from my friend and shot... consistent ¾" groups with several 1-¼" groups at 200 yards.

After its completion, I shot many long range side events at various cowboy match and have a nice collection of buckles & plaques for my efforts. In fact, my confidence was so high at one time, that I would often purposely miss a shot just to get into a tie-breaker and force the shoot to go out to longer distances. 300 yards not being a problem, and many a shoot required 400 yards to garner a win. As long as we could use X-sticks, I was unafraid of distance.

My closest call came at a shoot in East Texas against a really tough competitor, named Joey... We'd shot and tied with ten hits each @ 200 yards on 8" steel, then continued @ 300 on 10" steel with each getting straight run of 10 hits. So we took on the 24"x18" plates @ 400 yards; 1st miss looses. 20 straight hits later, the match director sez, we can either go replace the steel @ 400 or you two can decide some other method of breaking this tie. When Joey said, "how 'bout standing up on our own two-hind feet", I thought I'd die... I've never been a good off-hand shooter and seldom practice that stance. I tried to get a sitting stance, but Joey knew I didn't practice standing, and thought the advantage was his... and so did I.

We did the "you go 1st" - "no, you go" thing for a while and finally I said I'd go 1st and put the pressure on Joey for a hit. As I got into my position, the spotter said, "Griff, just hold the same as before, you've been putting all your rounds in a 6" area in the middle of the target, no problem"... glad he felt confident. Then Joey said, "hit this and you're walking home..." Yep, Joey was my ride to the match, but several others said, not to worry, they'd give me a ride if I beat him. I suspect I was the most surprised when the faint clang came back from the 400 yard line. Joey missed.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Any of my Marlin 39A's followed closely by my Winchester 61.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I like the feel and handiness of my 1926 Winchester 1892 38-40 SRC and It doesn't hurt that I have a Colt SAA 38-40 from 1920 to go with it.

"That'll Be The Day"
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hunting - I grab my BLR in 358 Winchester, it's my go to gun when I'm serious.

Having fun - My Browning Mdl.71, it's a blast to shoot and one of those guns that just seems to want to shoot good.

Plinking - I go for one of my 1894 Marlins in 357. Low recoil and you can really burn up some ammo.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Can't pick a favorite but this would be a contender - I would have to have some restriction on the question.

I think this is one of the most handsome Winchesters ever produced.

Here is another contender.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If by favorite, you mean the one we use the most, it would have to be my 1895 GS. I've taken to using it more than any of my other rifles. If by favorite, you mean the one with the most sentimental value, it would be an old Winchester single shot .22 lr.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Marlin 1895 Deluxe PG in 40-70.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

toss up between bigbore model 94's and an old scoped, blr.308wcf. depends whether i'm hunting close or far.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The rifle that means the most to me is my '03 sporter that was my grandfather's.
He had it made up as a lightweight hunting rifle for a Canadian moose hunt that never happend.
Before it was finished he developed some serious heart problems and never fully recovered.
My Dad gave it to me on my 21st birthday. Virtually unfired since the late 60's

This rifle and I have traveled many trails together and taken a pile of Whitetail and other critters.
One of those guns that I just know where the bullet's gonna go.

The last gun I'd ever part with.

A close second is the very first levergun I ever bought.
A beat up old '95 SRC / .30-06 and second only to the Springfeild in
number of game taken.
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Mike I really like your muzzleloader.
Griff that is a great looking Winchester.
2ndovc you have gotta get a moose with that rifle.

I spent a little time thinking about my favorite rifle.

I dont own any rifles with sentimental or family value, none of my rifles have a story. I have had some great hunts with some of them, and made great shots with others.

I have a Marlin 39M. It has pitted metal and ugly mis-shapen wood. Even though I have owned it for only a little more that a year it is my favorite rifle. It is the only rifle I would not sell.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

After Griff's story, my favorite rifle is his!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Some beautiful rifles here guys! It makes my mouth water and my heart beat faster.

8)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Heck.....
I cant make up my mind!
Probably my 1926 model 92 38-40.....1st rifle
The most accurate lever I own
but I love the big loop 44 too!
Uberti 73s are fun to shoot too!

Thats a loaded question!......

sorry ...couldnt resist
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I have to qualify my answers, somewhat. I recond my favorite all-around, do everything rifle, has to be my old steel framed Browning BLR in .308 Win. I purchased it new about 18yrs ago. It's my favorite rifle, for serious hunting, because it just plain works for me, under about any conditions, and I have lost count of the deer I have taken with it, not to mention coyotes, wild dogs, etc, and it has always been 100% reliable.

But I love Winchesters, and Browning Reproductions, be it 95's, 71's, 94's, 92's.
I think out of all of them, A pre-64 model 94 carbine is my favorite. It's really no wonder that it has prevailed longer then all of the rest, in actual production. IMHO there is no better handling iron sight rifle, ever.
NRA Life Member, Patron
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Groan! Here comes C. Cash with his same old picture again. And your right. My 356 Win. is my favorite rifle. I've taken it everywhere, hunted with it, carried it, stared at it. I think it is the perfect rifle for about anything you might want to do in the lower 48. However, I have been fooling around with a brown skinned mistress that has seriously caught my eye(see second set of photos...staring at Mike Johnson's and Casastahle's rifles did not help me hold back on this one):

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Geez - could you just make it your favorite .357 rifle? Or your favorite bolt-action rifle? Or military carbine?

Overall, I am developing a fondness for the Marlin .44 Mag 1894SS, even though it is sort of a functional (stainless, no scope) companion to an older more 'sentimental' 1894 gun I had while growing up. What terrible guilt I suffer with, knowing I take the new shiny one for walks while the old dull finished one so faithful all those years must surely be sobbing alone in the safe. :cry: I feel awful. :oops:

...I think I'll go grab the 1894 and walk up the hill to listen for coyotes... :mrgreen:

...but - which one...? :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

They're all my favorites, or I would not have them.

But the two I really enjoy are my Ballard #5 Pacific, .45-2.1" (AKA .45-70) & my 23 pound Shiloh - Sharps M1874, .45-2.4" (erroneously AKA .45-90).
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

C. Cash,

I sure do like the looks of that long flinter. Is that a custom? It looks like it has a left hand stock, too.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Egads, I spend so much time customizing and developing handloads for my small diverse collection of rifles and handguns that I can't imagine which one I would choose if I could only own one. Like picking which is my favorite child!

From a pure practical standpoint, my CZ550 in 375 H&H Ackley Improved is hard to beat. It holds 6 rounds of "do anything anywhere" cartridge. Hard to ignore that.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

WOW guys, you are certainly rising to the question with some absolutly beautiful choices. before YK gets in here, I should add a drool alert!!!!!!!!

I am enjoying seeing the eye candy come out. Some beautiful rifles. Keep it coming!
Mike Johnson,

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

My dad gave me a model 71 when I was 18, had it 46 years now. It's beautiful and just as "able" as it was new. I always go back to it when I need a reminder to be thankful. It's killed many deer and one elk in it's life time, but tomorrow I will take afield a brand new BLR in 358, build some new memories, and add a favorite to the list.
Last edited by brucew44guns on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey Lastmohecken,

Yes it is a 54 Cal. left handed "Early Lancaster" Flintlock made by B.J. Hamermehl of Lewisburg, PA. I bought the parts set from Tennessee Valley Manufacturing(Jack Garner) and has a curly Red Maple stock, Green Mountain slow twist barrel, large Bethlehem Star inlaid on the cheekpiece and sliding wooden patchbox from the same material as the stock. I always dreamed of having a real PA/Ky longrifle as a kid growing up in the South West. 40 years old and 12 years after moving to PA, finally got her done! :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great topic Mike.

I have a lot of levers I love, and several "cool" rifles, but my favorite is the old Ruger 10/22 I got when I was 16. Why? It was the last gun my Dad gave me before he died. I shot that gun all the time when I was in my teens and early 20's. Was all I could afford to shoot for a spell.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

This is the one. It always works for me. Other than wanting a scout scope and a peep sight for it.
1970 Marlin 30-30. It goes out every year I do.

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I would have to say my Win 94 Legacy in .357. Probably the least practical but it's been my most accurate.

It would be hard to part with either of my 336's though. The Winchester is a range queen.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

a loaded and subjective question... :)

to keep me alive in a civil/riot/doomsday scenerio? ruger p9 carbine/rem 870 12 ga.

to put meat on the table IF I HAD TO? savage 12fv .308 winchester/1894c in .357

fun and plinking? H&R .223 ultra varmint/NEF .22 WMR
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Just asked what your favorite rifle is for what ever reason. Wasn't trying to ask if you only had one, which would you have. You can keep all your weapons in this question. Just wanting to know your favorite. Not a loaded question really. It may make you think and ponder over your horde (small or large) but in the end, I feel we all can lay our hands on the favorite Rifle. Soon comes the question, favorite pistol, so get ready.
Mike Johnson,

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Difficult to say...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

Mine would be a 75 C. Sharps in 45-70. 28" heavy barel with C.S.A. Long range vernier and globe front. That has proven to be very accurate with it's pet load of Goex Cartridge Grade and a 530gr Lyman 457125 cast of 20:1.

Second choice would have to be my Krag. I have too much fun with it annoying the garand guys at the range that think hitting a 4" swinger at 150yds shooting from the bench is a big deal. :D They laugh when I drag it out, but the snickers stop when I run 8 or 9 out of 10 from, sitting position, shooting my reloads with my cast bullets. I keep telling them that the surplus ammo for 30-40 dried up long ago :mrgreen:

I know....the krag ain't a levergun, but the Sharps does have one :wink:

SS
Last edited by SharpsShooter on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

dr walker wrote:Mike I really like your muzzleloader.
Griff that is a great looking Winchester.
2ndovc you have gotta get a moose with that rifle.

I spent a little time thinking about my favorite rifle.

I dont own any rifles with sentimental or family value, none of my rifles have a story. I have had some great hunts with some of them, and made great shots with others.

I have a Marlin 39M. It has pitted metal and ugly mis-shapen wood. Even though I have owned it for only a little more that a year it is my favorite rifle. It is the only rifle I would not sell.

I'll get that moose one of these days.
I've wanted a big ole moose head for above my mantle for a long time!
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I dunno. I guess at this time it has to be my 1886 EL .45-70. Today it looks like this.
The PG is fine, but soon it'll prob'ly go back to a straight grip for a while.
That's the fun of owning these guns. You can tear 'em down in no time and change
em around a little bit. I like the FM, too. Lots better balance than the old HM. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

See my post: Me and My .405 Wrenchester :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

For the last 1/2 dozen years, it's been my Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag. Just seems to get the job done

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My favorite rifle is my restored Remington Hepburn in .45-70 cal. I have no idea how many hours I have into the metal and stock work, but the project took me over a year to complete. Some due to time, and some due to money. In the end it turned out to be just what I hoped it would; a nice gun that really shoots well.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that sure is a beaut!!!!
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

marlinman93 wrote:My favorite rifle is my restored Remington Hepburn in .45-70 cal. I have no idea how many hours I have into the metal and stock work, but the project took me over a year to complete. Some due to time, and some due to money. In the end it turned out to be just what I hoped it would; a nice gun that really shoots well....
And what caliber is the top barrel? :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Old Ironsights,

That top barrel is a blowgun, probably using the standard, bigbore .52 blowdart. :lol:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I might just get flogged for this but I would have to say my favorite rifle at the moment would have to be my AR 15. Not because it has any soul but because its new to me, its light recoil, and I really like the design of the AR's. I'll not be giving up my 92's by no means as they are design perfection IMO, but for now, its the AR! :)

I'll duck for cover now. :D