Holster tutorial, Part 4

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Holster tutorial, Part 4

Post by kimwcook »

Okay guys, #4.

The last post I had just punchced the holes for the belt loop on the back of the holster. This next picture shows where I've taken the groover and grooved the inside of the holster where the stitching will go so it too will sit below surface level.

Here is the waxed thread I use along with the two needles. The needles are rather on the large size, hence the quarter for scale.

I don't use a stitching pony, a device used by leathermakers to hold the piece their working on, google it. It's a pretty simple affair most of the time. I just hold it between my knees and rotate it as I go along. The stitching comes through the punched holes from both sides, one needle in the hole one way and the other through the back side. I start with a couple of holes at a corner and start the process.

A side view showing the thread through the same hole. This is the view I have as I'm stitching. I turn my head to get a location of the hole on the outside of the holster as the hole is more pronounced there and easier to see.

Showing me just a few holes from the beginning. I leave a little hanging out as too long of ends easily get tangled in your thread loops. I pull the thread firmly, but not too hard. You'd be surprised how easy it is to pull the thread through the leather and your screwed. I attempt to keep my tension the same throughout the stitching process so it looks the same. Not that hard, you'll get a feel for it as you go along. Just don't pull too hard.

This shows the belt loop stitching completed.

Now for the lining. I laid the holster onto the pigskin and made a tracing of the holster. I cut the lining a little larger than the holster using a pair of scissors.

I then put the cement on both the holster and the lining. As you can see I only put the cement on the lining inside the tracing. I try to keep the cement from going all the way to the edge of both pieces. I get close, probably with 1/8" of the edge but not all the way. Be careful with the cement as it's extremely sticky and it doesn't like coming off of the leather. So if you get it on the outside, you'll be working with some acetone to try and get it off.

After giving the cement some time to cure (remember). I lay the lining on the holster. I started at the bottom and worked up, from the center out, stretching it as I go because if you didn't when you fold the holster over it will have a tendency to bunch up on the inside.

Another picture showing me applying the lining.

After making sure the lining is securely cemented to the holster, I cut the excess off from around the edge using the linoleum knife.

How the holster looks with the lining glued on and the excess removed.

A shot showing the difference of thickness between the holster leather and the lining.

I have to stitch the top and bottom of the holster now before it's folded or it's almost impossible to stitch. So I punch the holes and sew them now. You'll notice I cut a second groove for the stitching as the first one was supposed to be decorative with the stamping. The edge may get a little tight.

I'm trying to show the two needles as they both through the front and the back of the punched hole. You only put one needle through at a time. I put the two of them like that to show they go through the same hole but opposite directions.

Stitching done for the top.

Stitching done for the bottom.

I put some cement on the inside of the edges, both sides, allowed it to dry and then folded the holster together. I'll let that sit for the night and let the cement fully bond before making the stitching holes for sewing the edge.

That guys brings me to the end of this tutorial. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the time to finishing stitching it and then a wet mold to the revolver.
Old Law Dawg
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Holster tutorial, Part 4

Post by Ben_Rumson »

You make it look so simple..Very nice.. This thread has been saved!! Thank you very much!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice work!
I would like to try that again...
Last time was back in the 70s...in shop class
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank's again for the great job, you done good. Alot of help.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Wow! Thanks!

You know, I really wasn't looking for yet another gun-related hobby, but DANG! -- that looks so rewarding! And you can make "what you want"!

But it's not easy, I'm sure...

And some materials are needed... (Cool!) And some tools are needed... (Even more cool!) And some guns would help! (Now we're talking!) And, oh yeah, some skills would definitely help... (Uh oh!!!) :shock:

Phew, guess I just dodged that hobby! :lol:

Congrats on a fine job, with an AWESOME tutorial!

Thanks for sharing your work!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Once again, another well done tutorial! I'd like to suggest that AmBraCol or Hobie combine these threads when you are finished and maybe put them in the "One Sticky" thread. Maybe combine the tutorials into one thread and the Q&A into another?
kimwcook wrote: I put some cement on the inside of the edges, both sides, allowed it to dry and then folded the holster together. I'll let that sit for the night and let the cement fully bond before making the stitching holes for sewing the edge.
Did you have to put any weight once you cemented it to keep everything together until the cement cured?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nope, just a firm pressing of the pieces together and that was it. Although I did come back to it a little while later and press it together again. Barge cement, used correctly, will hold leather almost insanely tight. I think I said it once during the series to make sure you've got your pieces where you want them when you put two pieces together as it will literally tear the leather apart before giving up the bond.
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Stitching done for the bottom.

I put some cement on the inside of the edges, both sides, allowed it to dry and then folded the holster together. I'll let that sit for the night and let the cement fully bond before making the stitching holes for sewing the edge.

That guys brings me to the end of this tutorial. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the time to finishing stitching it and then a wet mold to the revolver.Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Senior Levergunner "

NO KNOTS...!!!

Use a Llooonngg thread and pull through to the middle of the thread before you begin stitching.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Still enjoying this post!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, some folks have talent and patience... I have neither. Kim, I'm in need of a pair of X-draw holsters for my '51s.... Christmas is comin'... hint hint! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!