Bought a Flat Band, today. Question On Hammer?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Bought a Flat Band, today. Question On Hammer?

Post by Lastmohecken »

I purchased a Model 94 Flat Band, 30 WCF, today at a gunshow. The serial # in the 147xxxx range which puts in the (no records era) of WWII. My guess is about 1946 or 47. It has the long forend, and of course the flat band.

This gun is pretty slick, as far as bluing goes, and the wood is solid and more or less free from much in the way of nicks and scratches. The butt plate is checkered steel but doesn't fit the best in the world, I may have to work on that a little.

However, I suspect a reblue job, since it's so nice, but darned if I can tell for sure and for me I guess it doesn't matter, that much. The hammer is the later serrated verson, instead of the more smooth, checkered model. Was that the norm for these flat band models?

I can't post a picture, unfortunately, my camera is out of commission.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hobie

Re: Bought a Flat Band, today. Question On Hammer?

Post by Hobie »

I guess I need to dig out my flatband and get a pic of the hammer. This is the best I could do this evening.

I want to say it is grooved but I just can't remember for certain.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

My hunting pal Doc Kidder had a flat band, and it had a serrated hammer.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, Fellows

Yep, that the same hammer I have, so I guess it's original.
NRA Life Member, Patron
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

My 1947 flat-band also has a straight grooved hammer. As an aside, mine was never drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, or a tang sight for that matter. I believe that was the norm for that era, until the 1950's. Mine was drilled and tapped for a side scope mount after it left the factory, so it is no longer in collector condition. But that was why I could afford it.

Sean
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Lastmohecken wrote:I purchased a Model 94 Flat Band, 30 WCF, today at a gunshow. The serial # in the 147xxxx range which puts in the (no records era) of WWII. My guess is about 1946 or 47. It has the long forend, and of course the flat band.

This gun is pretty slick, as far as bluing goes, and the wood is solid and more or less free from much in the way of nicks and scratches. The butt plate is checkered steel but doesn't fit the best in the world, I may have to work on that a little.

However, I suspect a reblue job, since it's so nice, but darned if I can tell for sure and for me I guess it doesn't matter, that much. The hammer is the later serrated verson, instead of the more smooth, checkered model. Was that the norm for these flat band models?

I can't post a picture, unfortunately, my camera is out of commission.
Congratulations!!! I really like the Flatband 94s.

The long wood forend, serrated hammer spur, checkered buttplate, non D&T receiver, plain tang/no tang markings, and no tang sight holes are original features for the Flatband 94s.

I know you're really going to enjoy shooting and hunting with it!!! :D :D :D
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Look under the forend and a date should be stamped on the bottom of the barrel. That is your best guess as to when it was made.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Both of my flatbands have a straight serrated hammer.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

So the date is under the barrel, it seems I have heard that somewhere before.
However, I kinda hate to disturb the forearm to look, but if I ever do have it off, I will be sure and check it out.

What is the deal with the Flat Band, anyway? Was there a supply problem, etc? It doesn't really look like the flat band would be any cheaper to make.

At any rate, I think the flat bands models are kinda neat. I never even knew they existed until I started reading posts on here about them, then I started looking at pre-64's at gunshows and started noticing them, on occasion.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lastmohecken wrote:What is the deal with the Flat Band, anyway? Was there a supply problem, etc? It doesn't really look like the flat band would be any cheaper to make.
ISTR that it had to do with the availability of the steel they'd used in prior models. IIRC, the flat band versions were made of parts on hand prior to WWII and that which could be had immediately following. (But then, I've been known to be wrong before this). :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I think the flat band save a milling process.